Cordless Hammer Drill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received a Ryobi 18v brushless 1/2-inch drill/driver/hammer-drill last night from my wife as an early B-Day & Father's Day gift. I need to anchor two thresholds to the concrete floor of our youngest son's home this weekend.

The Milwaukee equivalent was $50 more at H-D, had less advertised torque, and had a much larger carrying case making transport less easy.

Being 62 years old this tool will see light use from me, so I think I made a good choice when comparing cost vs future use. Although a second battery pack would be nice..........

ryobi-hammer-drills-p1813-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good! AFAIK both the Milwaukee and Ryobi are made by Techtronic Industries so no doubt they share some bits and pieces.

You should wait for Black Friday. Home Depot usually has some kind of $40-$50 sale on a single tool that comes with a battery and charger although it's usually one of the smaller batteries.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
^ It was already purchased and was a gift.

Yeah, I was just referring to getting a second battery. A single battery is typically anywhere from $40-$50 and even the cheap 2 packs are $60 so $40-$50 for another tool and battery is a good deal. A second drill is handy too, sometimes I'm using two drills, one to drive screws, the other to drill the pilot hole.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Looks good! AFAIK both the Milwaukee and Ryobi are made by Techtronic Industries so no doubt they share some bits and pieces.

Truth. Also Ridgid I believe. I have all Ridgid tools and they have held up to some serious commercial abuse.

There are a few guys that work at our company that use Ryobi. They actually hold up okay, the best part is during ryobi days you can replace everything for $200 lol

Last edited:
Ryobi was running some specials last week or so. I bought two 3.0 amp batteries and a charger for $99.00 and then was able to select any other tool up to $89.00 for FREE! A no brainer as far as I was concerned since I already had 6 other Ryobi tools. The other choice was a drill/driver with two 1.3 amp batteries and charger for $99.00 and the free tool.

Ryobi free tools

I have lots of Ryobi tools; they rarely disappoint. I have an older version of that hammer drill... it has drilled countless holes in concrete without missing a beat. That battery will amaze you, you won't need a spare... it lasts a l o n g time.

Best results is to look at the entire catalog, determine what tools you may want / need in the future, and buy into a system. In other words, if you choose (for example) Ryobi, then make sure that they make every tool you might need, and stick with that tool set / battery configuration.

Of course if you decide you need a corded tool, none of that matters. Buy whatever works for you.

For example I chose the Milwaukee 12V system because the tools are powerful yet compact, with the battery entirely encased in the handle (no "heel" below the handle) because I use my tools when going up and down ladders. Constant use of the drill/driver is good for half a shift, and they charge up quickly, so two batteries is all you need for a full day's work.

I don't have any high voltage cordless tools, when something with power is needed I use corded tools and get it done.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
^ It was already purchased and was a gift.

Yeah, I was just referring to getting a second battery. A single battery is typically anywhere from $40-$50 and even the cheap 2 packs are $60 so $40-$50 for another tool and battery is a good deal. A second drill is handy too, sometimes I'm using two drills, one to drive screws, the other to drill the pilot hole.

Beside any coupons/promotions by HomeDepot, one could go to any of the gift cards websites and see if any x%off are available.
Also sometimes they match the 10% off Lowes coupons found on Ebay.

Some cashiers could apply discounts at checkout also up to 15% off. Doesn't hurt to ask.

I have the same one as well. Its a great hammer drill. Also, IF you find some the new 3AH/6AH batteries (Lithium HP+) are meant for Brushless tools. It has two extra pins on the base of the stem, to allow more power as needed to go to the tool.

As for extra batteries right now prices are: 2 pack of 4AH $99, 2 Pack 3AH are $99 (plus free tool offer if you can find a store that has stock) and 2 pack 6AH for $119.

Plus if you sign up for pro rewards email, there was a $10 off $75 or more. Even better deal.

Also, Ryobi, Milwaukee and Rigid are owned by the same company.

You got a good deal. I went the DeWalt 20v route and have amassed a good number of tools.

Watch out you don't get addicted and look for people selling used tools online for cheap to build your collection.

What's the next Ryobi tool you want to add? Skillsaw, sawzall?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
I have the same one as well. Its a great hammer drill. Also, IF you find some the new 3AH/6AH batteries (Lithium HP+) are meant for Brushless tools. It has two extra pins on the base of the stem, to allow more power as needed to go to the tool.

As for extra batteries right now prices are: 2 pack of 4AH $99, 2 Pack 3AH are $99 (plus free tool offer if you can find a store that has stock) and 2 pack 6AH for $119.

Plus if you sign up for pro rewards email, there was a $10 off $75 or more. Even better deal.

Are the batteries backward compatible? I know the Makita are but they make no claim that they are but the fact they don't use anything to stop the battery being inserted in a old/new tool had me wondering so I tried it.
No problem, they all work good.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: JBinTX30

Are the batteries backward compatible? I know the Makita are but they make no claim that they are but the fact they don't use anything to stop the battery being inserted in a old/new tool had me wondering so I tried it.
No problem, they all work good.

Yes, you can use the lithium ones in the older tools. I still have some older blue ones that came with the Nicad batteries. Those only lasted a couple years before dying so that's why I have several drills, ended up picking one up every year just for the battery. The lithium ones don't seem to have that problem. All my nicad ones are missing/dead at this point.

Worked like a champ!

I used it yesterday to drill 7 holes in the concrete basement floor of my son's new home to anchor two thresholds. The tool just burrowed its way right through the concrete for full depth of the bit on 6 of the 7 holes. I am guessing I may have hit a stone on the one hole that did not drill as deep as the others.

Small diameter holes as I using Tek Screws for the thresholds but still much easier than using my old HeviDuty 1/2-inch corded drill motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back