Petronas Syntium 7000 0W40 / Mitsubishi 4G15T

Status
Not open for further replies.
6,857Km and 7 months on Petronas Syntium 7000 0W40 Cooltech (new formula) oil:

Car has a very small 3L sump. Longer run than usual, the oil was much darker. A lot of highway which pushes the engine a bit under 4000rpm.
Factory OCI is 20000Km, no TBN but I wonder if this oil could have done it...or maybe Blackstone fuel estimate is off ? It sheared quite a bit without fuel compared to previous sample with 2,5% fuel.
Filter was Purflux LS489A as usual
smile.gif

Compared to previous sample, this is the new "Cooltech" stuff, not sure if I should be impressed or not compared to previous formula (add pack is similar).

Replaced with Motul 300V 0W40 and Purflux LS489A filter.

Previous discussion : https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4214407/1

Very good metal wear rates, though with reduced KV100 related to fuel dilution and shear-thinning.
20000 km OCI ? .. I would be surprised if it's not capable of, never mind fuel dilution.

Looks like they both performed about the same. Both have very low flash points, though. They should be well north of 400F.

I suspect oils were both loaded with gas, more than what Blackstone says, Petronas gives the flashpoint at 446ºF...I'll see what happens with the 300V, I intend to run it around 8000 Km, if not more.

Hi
I lived in Belgium many years ago while in the Army
I am just curious what a liter of oil costs across the pond now.
What do they sell for?

I know that my European friends had much longer OCI than I did due to cost.
I was able to purchase mine from exchange services and did buy some buddies oil from them while I was there
They were always amazed that I could get it for roughly a quarter to a third of the cost they might pay

Anyway, you do indeed run a short OCI compared to the average interval in Europe

Take care, I miss Europe and the time I spent there

You are right about the short OCI I run, mainly for fuel dilution and also convenience, but probably a waste of good oil and filters.

This time I paid around 6,50€ per liter for this Petronas oil...car needs 3L so it's not an expensive OCI, with filter cost a bit over 25€. Even if it's twice a year, it's still decent.

For comparison the Total 5W40 in my sig is ~3€ per liter when bought online, SHU 0W40 around 4 (add shipping but that's still very affordable).
M1 0W40 would be like 9, and the 300V is approximately the same price as M1, unless you found discounts
smile.gif

The Purflux LS489A filters cost around 5€, they have a silicone ADBV (not that its useful for this car). I bought a bunch of Fram Ultra XG9688 that I'll use in the future with this car, when I'll run out of Purflux.

I can only speak for my country, but I don't think we have the culture of cheap oil change here like in the US or Canada, most dealers or even quick oil places charge way too much for badly executed oil changes...I prefer to do my own more often, keep a clean engine, and also have cars "always ready" to go for a long trip. My family and friends are not getting younger, and we are pretty far away from each other, I want to be able to leave right away for 2-3000Km without questionning if the car will make it or not
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back