Does adding oil mid-interval extend the change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what the title says. My BMW Burns a quart in between it's 15k intervals. Does that mean I can go longer because fresh oil is added?

I wouldn't go longer than 15k miles intervals. I'd assume BMW already assumes you'll be adding make up oil.

It probably does.

But I would not do a 15k mile oil change in a BMW.

More than a few BMW engines have serious issues amd I think over long OCI is part of the problem.

I wouldn't. I had to cut back my Grandma's oci to 10k because of varnish causing problems with the VANOS solenoid on her 325.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I wouldn't go longer than 15k miles intervals. I'd assume BMW already assumes you'll be adding make up oil.

This

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
Exactly what the title says. My BMW Burns a quart in between it's 15k intervals. Does that mean I can go longer because fresh oil is added?
If its only 1 quart, thats not much. No extension. Now, if you were putting in 3 quarts, then 18k wouldn't be out of the question in my opinion. Adding oil does replenish detergents, anti-oxidants, ZDDP, dispersants, etc., so yeah. Its a matter of how much.
As it is, I think BMW did make a change in what it recommends. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868291
and they went to 10k miles (oops moment for them...). Reputation for too much oil breakdown I guess.
Rule of thumb: Go with 15k oil changes if you add at least 2 quarts of oil as you go.
Go with 10k mile oil changes otherwise.

Expensive car and a long OCI??? Why??? Piece of junk, run it til whenever. Very nice car.......long OCI's. Sorry I don't get it.

At most 100 miles per 100ml is all I could see tops. Your adding clean oil but the rest is already dirty so therotically yes but not by large margins of oci intervals

While I would not go longer in a BMW without a subsequent UOA (and even then, why?), I can tell you based on my experience in my 2010 FX4 that adding even a half a quart increases the TBN and thus increases the overall potential OCI.

Originally Posted By: bigjl
But I would not do a 15k mile oil change in a BMW. More than a few BMW engines have serious issues amd I think over long OCI is part of the problem.

Good advice. The OLM on my wife's 2011 328i would have had us changing the oil every 15,000 to 18,000 miles (pure insanity in my view). Her new 2017 330i OLM would have us change it every 10,000 miles (still way too many miles for a DI Turbo IMO). Two different BMW dealer service departments told me the longer OCIs in older cars were, in fact, causing major engine issues thus the change. I change the oil in her cars every 6 months or 5,000 miles. Electronic oil measurements on both cars always show 100% and engines function flawlessly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

As it is, I think BMW did make a change in what it recommends. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868291
and they went to 10k miles (oops moment for them...). Reputation for too much oil breakdown I guess.
Rule of thumb: Go with 15k oil changes if you add at least 2 quarts of oil as you go.

Interesting turn of events... just when all manufacturers are INCREASING OCI even with Di and Turbo high strung 1.5L engines, etc, BMW is going BACKWARDS and DECREASING the OCIs just as oils have reached what is basically a very high level of capability in regards to Lube performance. Hmmmmm....

The real question is, did they do it for better engine protection or did the maintenance department guy have a little chat with the finance department guy at the water cooler and pointed out the extra $,$$$ they could be making with more frequent OCIs??? Lol.

Ah for the Love of Money...

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
If its only 1 quart, thats not much. No extension. Now, if you were putting in 3 quarts, then 18k wouldn't be out of the question in my opinion. Adding oil does replenish detergents, anti-oxidants, ZDDP, dispersants, etc., so yeah. Its a matter of how much.

My car is a 2012, technically that bulletin doesn't apply to it
The long intervals actually don't scare me, considering most oils would easily be up to the task - even non-approved ones
Car has been running like a top, 95k and counting

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
While I would not go longer in a BMW without a subsequent UOA (and even then, why?), I can tell you based on my experience in my 2010 FX4 that adding even a half a quart increases the TBN and thus increases the overall potential OCI.

Just curious on other people's input
I wouldn't deliberately extend the interval, but it would give me some more peace of mind if I happen to run over or am late to change it

I really don't think the 15k interval is all that bad. Let's be honest, there are plenty of BMW drivers out there that don't know the where the hood release is, let alone maintenance intervals. And then there are plenty of people who will see warning lights and service overdue reminders but keep driving anyway. BMW would not give a 15k interval without some safety margin built in. ALL oil changes have safety margin built in. Otherwise we're all driving around in time bombs apparently...

15k is three oil and filter changes in my house. And as for my house, this will always be. No matter the car, no matter the filter, no matter the oil.

It just depends on where you want to spend your money. Do you want to spend it on oil changes or the repairs that result from the lack of oil changes. Not all oil related failures are catastrophic, like the VANOS solenoids I mentioned earlier. Many people may not relate those repairs to the oil and just consider it a typical worn out part. But if it starts sticking because it is gunked up from 15k oil changes, the failure could have likely been prevented with a shorter oil change schedule. Most of those BMW drivers you mention just take the car to the dealer and have it fixed, they don't have a clue about what is preventable and really don't care. They just take it to the dealer when the light comes on, then pay the bill and they are happy again.

Do as Briggs and Stratton: if you are adding oil, no need to change it.
lol.gif

I've owned vehicles for 50 years and never gone over 8K OCIs. Respect, love and better-care for those vehicles you purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back