Blazer swaying after alignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the upper and lower control arms (w/ ball joints and bushings.), tie rod ends, adjusting sleeves, camber bolts, pitman arm, idler arm, and sway bar end links. While driving it to the shop, I could feel it swaying as I went over bumps. I figured it was no big deal seeing how the toe could have very well been off.

Got it back today and drove it to work on some bouncy roads. The same condition exists although it isn't quite as severe. Driving down a flat road the truck drives straight with no pulling. By swaying, I mean it feels like it's being pulled to the left and to the right almost simultaneously.

*I also added new bump stops which are about 2" above the lower control arm with the truck sitting level. I measured my 2 front fenders from the ground after initially adjusting the torsion bars and I was about 1/4" off. Perhaps something changed and one is cranked substantially different than the other?

Last edited:
No printout sadly. Didn't even think of asking for one.

Sounds like I should take it back then?

Sure take it back, tell them its wandering all over the place like a homeless person, and trying to pull you all over the place like a street walker.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Sure take it back, tell them its wandering all over the place like a homeless person, and trying to pull you all over the place like a street walker.

That'd be a slight over exaggeration, but it certainly get's the point across.

I did end up calling the shop and the guy said to bring it back in. I told him I'd do some self diagnosing tonight by rotating and properly inflating the tires and if the condition still existed I'd give him a call. He already booked me out a slot for Monday, which is awesome customer service IMO.

No print out and I am super PO'd. I need that to understand whats going on and how I might be able to correct it. I have had a clown tell me its fine but the printer is broke. o.2 too much positive camber on the left and caster way out is not fine, he didn't bother to mention the rear toe was out because in his opinion it isn't adjustable anyway, it is with shims.

I couldn't wait to the dealers machine on the weekend to do it myself so I had a place I used before for a quick job do it for a customer, huge mistake. Mess around like that and I am not an easy person to deal with.

I would take it to a different alignment shop.

To me a before and after printout are essential.

I keep them as part of my cars history file.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
No print out and I am super PO'd. I need that to understand whats going on and how I might be able to correct it. I have had a clown tell me its fine but the printer is broke. o.2 too much positive camber on the left and caster way out is not fine, he didn't bother to mention the rear toe was out because in his opinion it isn't adjustable anyway, it is with shims.

I couldn't wait to the dealers machine on the weekend to do it myself so I had a place I used before for a quick job do it for a customer, huge mistake. Mess around like that and I am not an easy person to deal with.

I’ll ask tomorrow if I can get a print out or at least a photo of the findings.

I guess if all else fails, off to the Chevy dealer I go.

Originally Posted By: AVB
What is the condition of the shocks?

Monroe monoflexes.
27.gif

23k or so.

If the shocks are good they are good the brand has no effect on the alignment. The problem is with these places is there is a lot of OJT going on and they don't understand the adjustments and how one angle can effect the other.

Did you take the sway bar out?

I ask because my brother had a 97’ Chevy pickup that we did the same thing, replaced control arms, toe rods, etc. but put the sway bar back in upside down. It drove fine except clunked over speed bumps. Just a thought.

Turned out to be a wrong or bad idler arm.

My Rock Auto receipt says 4WD, but the shop thinks it’s a 2WD.

One more alignment and the labor/ part... $160.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back