Infiniti G37 long OCI with Mobil 1 Extended Perf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I have a 2009 Infiniti G37 and normally run OCI of 7000k miles with good results using Pennzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 Synthetic.
I had Blackstone do an analysis and that is where I got my current OCI of 7000 miles.

Yesterday I was at Walmart and purchased Mobil 1 Synthetic Extended Performance 15,000 miles.
I also purchased a Mobil M1-108 filter.

Does anyone have experience with Long OCI on these motors?

Thanks,

Ken

Last edited:
7000k miles is a lot! I don't know anyone who has driven 7,000,000 miles on this engine, let alone an OCI.
wink.gif

I personally do not have experience with this engine. It depends on how your UOA looked at 7K. If you want to start doing 15K oci, perform an OCI at 10k and perform a UOA to see how its doing and then go up to 15k if the results are acceptable. No matter someone else's experiences, everyones driving habits and situation is a bit different.

I've got my focus up up 1yr/12-13k ocis and the UOAs come back great, could go longer if I really wanted. Oil used is Edge EP and M1 EP.

From what I have seen in the past is that the Nissan VQs are hard on oil, and shear them quite easily. As for extended OCI, I would be far more comfortable using a long drain A3/B4 oil, coincidentally a frequently used oil in those cars.

Infiniti has (3) service levels, one of which says 7500 miles for oil/filter changes. It does say "mostly highway miles" and in "temperate weather". That is just a generic suggestion though and "safe" for them to say. Otherwise, they recommend 3750 miles for oil/filter changes.

Regarding the oil analysis you had done, either trust it or don't. Did multiple checks show similar data supporting 7000 mile changes ? Has Blackstone thrown out a longer mileage to try ? I suspect they won't recommend DOUBLING the mileage though you could work up to it.

I would run the M110A filter not the smaller M108. I have the M1-10A (LEE /Champion NOTHING to do with Exxon except rebranding ) on My QR25DE ubquitous Nissan 4 pot.

Unless you are running 2-3K highway miles a month I would not run a long OCI with any oil.

If you ARE running long highway mile in temperate climate, You might try 7500 - 8500 if 7000 was safe with the Pennzoil Alkane true synthetic. NO use wrecking a car over the $$ cost of one bad, cheap lunch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
7k is NOT a long OCI! Also, you should upgrade to the longer M1-110 if it fits
smile.gif

In today's day and age of GDI it is.

Sorry, but environmental concerns, longer OCIs and fuel efficient GDI engines, are not compatible.

Last edited:
I ran 8,000 mile OCIs with conventional oil for 20 years without problems. 1,350 mixed city/highway miles per month. Non GCI engines.

I often find synthetic oil on sale the same price so now I run cheap synthetic oil at 9,000 mile intervals. Mobil extended performance should be able to handle 7,000 mile OCIs in my experience.

To each his own.

I've got the VQ35 engine in the 2007 M35 that we bought new. It's an excellent performing engine. From the start it has done well on 5w-30 synthetic blend. I used Conoco Phillips oils (Kendall and 76) for the first 65K miles, and then switched to QS oils because they became more readily available. I run a blend of 40% QSUD and 60% QS dino for 4,500 mile intervals. I could switch to full synthetic, but I don't see the point. My average yearly miles has dropped to about 6K so I'm changing out about every 9 months with a 50-50 blend of local and highway driving. The engine has run smooth and clean on its current diet. No changes here.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
smile.gif

Sorry, but environmental concerns, longer OCIs and fuel efficient GDI engines, are not compatible.

I didn't know that engine was DI. Sorry.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
From what I have seen in the past is that the Nissan VQs are hard on oil, and shear them quite easily. As for extended OCI, I would be far more comfortable using a long drain A3/B4 oil, coincidentally a frequently used oil in those cars.

Yes, the reading I have done shows these engines are hard on oil.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Infiniti has (3) service levels, one of which says 7500 miles for oil/filter changes. It does say "mostly highway miles" and in "temperate weather". That is just a generic suggestion though and "safe" for them to say. Otherwise, they recommend 3750 miles for oil/filter changes.

Regarding the oil analysis you had done, either trust it or don't. Did multiple checks show similar data supporting 7000 mile changes ? Has Blackstone thrown out a longer mileage to try ? I suspect they won't recommend DOUBLING the mileage though you could work up to it.

I daily drive in traffic in temperate weather of southern California. I do trust the Blackstone UOA I had done. This Extended Performance oil is the new thing in my recipe. I'll check it midway through the OCI and see if the data supports going further.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I would run the M110A filter not the smaller M108. I have the M1-10A (LEE /Champion NOTHING to do with Exxon except rebranding ) on My QR25DE ubquitous Nissan 4 pot.

Unless you are running 2-3K highway miles a month I would not run a long OCI with any oil.

If you ARE running long highway mile in temperate climate, You might try 7500 - 8500 if 7000 was safe with the Pennzoil Alkane true synthetic. NO use wrecking a car over the $$ cost of one bad, cheap lunch.

Thanks for the filter tip. I do mostly city driving and still have had good luck with longer OCI's.

smile.gif

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
smile.gif

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I ran 8,000 mile OCIs with conventional oil for 20 years without problems. 1,350 mixed city/highway miles per month. Non GCI engines.

I often find synthetic oil on sale the same price so now I run cheap synthetic oil at 9,000 mile intervals. Mobil extended performance should be able to handle 7,000 mile OCIs in my experience.

To each his own.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I've got the VQ35 engine in the 2007 M35 that we bought new. It's an excellent performing engine. From the start it has done well on 5w-30 synthetic blend. I used Conoco Phillips oils (Kendall and 76) for the first 65K miles, and then switched to QS oils because they became more readily available. I run a blend of 40% QSUD and 60% QS dino for 4,500 mile intervals. I could switch to full synthetic, but I don't see the point. My average yearly miles has dropped to about 6K so I'm changing out about every 9 months with a 50-50 blend of local and highway driving. The engine has run smooth and clean on its current diet. No changes here.

Thanks!

This is one engine you don't want to mess around with long drain intervals. 7K is double what I do it at., Mobil 1 0w40 A3/B4 every 3500 miles with a new filter.
These engines beat the Hades out of the oil and they like to varnish up and have a little issue them with the hydraulic timing chain tensioners.

A UOA will not indicate the level of varnish being created in the engine and believe me it is not cosmetic with some engines like this one and the Honda J35 with VCM.

Originally Posted By: Trav
This is one engine you don't want to mess around with long drain intervals. 7K is double what I do it at., Mobil 1 0w40 A3/B4 every 3500 miles with a new filter.
These engines beat the Hades out of the oil and they like to varnish up and have a little issue them with the hydraulic timing chain tensioners.

A UOA will not indicate the level of varnish being created in the engine and believe me it is not cosmetic with some engines like this one and the Honda J35 with VCM.

Very good point. I just may keep my OCI at 7k miles. No need to push any further. I already have 113k trouble free miles on this car and just want to keep her happy as my daily driver!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back