Can any team beat Golden State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Hopefully LeBron can win another championship title.

Hopefully he won't...I'm sick of hearing his name...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Hopefully LeBron can win another championship title.

+1, hopefully one more here before he leaves.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
It could be another "Will the 2016 or 2017 Warriors show up??" put up against LeBron and that whole dynamic again...Warriors are good at turning on the switch but IMO they're almost equally capable of a meltdown in the right circumstance as happened in 2016...but that's undoubtedly less likely now with Durant.

I think this version of GS is just a hair or two not as good as previous GS teams, but I also think this Cavs team is not as good as previous ones as well, so it's probably a push in that respect. CLE has the best player in all of basketball (today), but GS is far and away the better team. The better team wins out most of the time, and I don't this one will be any different...

We'll see what happens...I think the rest of the country is getting pretty tired of GS/Cavs finals and they've played that up a bit on the news here...with the same best player of the era vs. the best team of the era thing...unique opportunity...just like the last 3 years. To paraphrase Klay Thompson, 'the rest of the NBA needs to get better or stay healthy...don't blame us'.

It could be another "Will the 2016 or 2017 Warriors show up??" put up against LeBron and that whole dynamic again...Warriors are good at turning on the switch but IMO they're almost equally capable of a meltdown in the right circumstance as happened in 2016...but that's undoubtedly less likely now with Durant.

I think this version of GS is just a hair or two not as good as previous GS teams, but I also think this Cavs team is not as good as previous ones as well, so it's probably a push in that respect. CLE has the best player in all of basketball (today), but GS is far and away the better team. The better team wins out most of the time, and I don't this one will be any different...

We'll see what happens...I think the rest of the country is getting pretty tired of GS/Cavs finals and they've played that up a bit on the news here...with the same best player of the era vs. the best team of the era thing...unique opportunity...just like the last 3 years. To paraphrase Klay Thompson, 'the rest of the NBA needs to get better or stay healthy...don't blame us'.

I can see people tiring of the same two teams every year. Neither are my favorite. It's kind of like the Pats being in the SB almost every year. After while you just want to see some different teams for a change. How 'bout a Lions/Browns SB? That would be different...

I can see people tiring of the same two teams every year. Neither are my favorite. It's kind of like the Pats being in the SB almost every year. After while you just want to see some different teams for a change. How 'bout a Lions/Browns SB? That would be different...

Yeah, I think a lot of people would concur with that idea...You don't even have to be a dynasty to get under people's skin sometimes. I'd love to see the Browns in the playoffs cuz that would be an obvious milestone. That, and my relatives live in Chagrin Falls, Strongsville and Berea and they've suffered.

A local sports guy here ( 10 miles east of Oakland ) was prognosticating it'll ONLY be 7 games this time around but I'm not sure how much of that is anti-jinx and how much is honest sentiment. It would definitely help the NBA a lot if it was a 7 games series and most were close games with sportsmanship and minimal vitriol...but these two teams don't like and are tired of each other too...like a lot of other people.

Yeah, I think a lot of people would concur with that idea...You don't even have to be a dynasty to get under people's skin sometimes. I'd love to see the Browns in the playoffs cuz that would be an obvious milestone. That, and my relatives live in Chagrin Falls, Strongsville and Berea and they've suffered.

A local sports guy here ( 10 miles east of Oakland ) was prognosticating it'll ONLY be 7 games this time around but I'm not sure how much of that is anti-jinx and how much is honest sentiment. It would definitely help the NBA a lot if it was a 7 games series and most were close games with sportsmanship and minimal vitriol...but these two teams don't like and are tired of each other too...like a lot of other people.

I don't see this series going 7, but GS was up 3-1 two years ago and they blew that one, so you never know...

If they let Curry continue breaking records, well then no. Will he get 10 next game?

I saw James play the entire game up until he was taken out, late in the 4th when it was out of hand. If they can't win with james on the floor full time, it will be hard if not impossible.

Go Knicks, ha

So much of this rivalry has gone into "deja vu all over again" territory that it's predictable. General consensus is that there's a decent likelihood that the Cavs take Game 4 and the Warriors close out in Game 5 or 6 in Oakland. 24 three pointers in last year's Game 4 for Cleveland and at least 20 tomorrow night doesn't exactly make me Nostradamus. We'll see....

So much of this rivalry has gone into "deja vu all over again" territory that it's predictable. General consensus is that there's a decent likelihood that the Cavs take Game 4 and the Warriors close out in Game 5 or 6 in Oakland. 24 three pointers in last year's Game 4 for Cleveland and at least 20 tomorrow night doesn't exactly make me Nostradamus. We'll see....

I don't know, CLE clearly needed a win last night and they couldn't get it done, even with Curry's lousy play...I see GS taking this series in a sweep...

I don't know, CLE clearly needed a win last night and they couldn't get it done, even with Curry's lousy play...I see GS taking this series in a sweep...

Yeah, I think it's the embarrassment of riches thing for Golden State versus the anomaly of when Cleveland ( meaning not Lebron ) will put up a strong game in these series...which of course would have to be NOW. If Cleveland ( team ) is ON and increasingly physical like they've been, then I can always see it happening like it's happened before. I very much doubt that 2018 is 2016, but I never say never. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the Cavs win Friday night and don't go any further.

Originally Posted By: Al
So where does LeBron go next year?.....GS? Now that 76'rs GM resigned I can see him going there.

If Philly hires David Griffin as their GM it will be a big plus. Since Lebron wanted the Cavs to extend his contract but the owner let him go. Which is what the owner has done for all his previous gm's or let them go sooner. Griffin had a deal worked out to bring Paul George here but that fell apart when his contract expired.

https://sports.yahoo.com/quickest-way-76...-195033941.html

Yeah, I think it's the embarrassment of riches thing for Golden State versus the anomaly of when Cleveland ( meaning not Lebron ) will put up a strong game in these series...which of course would have to be NOW. If Cleveland ( team ) is ON and increasingly physical like they've been, then I can always see it happening like it's happened before. I very much doubt that 2018 is 2016, but I never say never. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the Cavs win Friday night and don't go any further.

It wouldn't shock me if CLE wins game 4, GS has been known to take games off...

It wouldn't shock me if CLE wins game 4, GS has been known to take games off...

Games off can be a relative term for the Warriors but it's always interesting when you have a team that's on the verge of being swept at home. The watch party at Oracle tonight is $20 a person and $30 for parking...which always surprises me because, being the Bay Area, I would expect at least $50 for parking. Yawn.

Unless you're a Dubs fan, where Lebron lands and how it changes the "Super Team" calculus has become much more interesting than this series.

It was impressive that GS swept CLE, but last night's game was boring. Except for a couple times in the 1st half, CLE wasn't even competitive. This series showed that the better team beats the best player hands down...

Indeed, especially when the better team has such great players. It's not like it's 4 good players vs. 1 great player, it's arguably 2 great players + 2 generational players vs. 1 generational player.

I think GSW continues to win for the next few season while their core is still relatively young as long as they can stay healthy. Short of another perfect storm that allowed GS to sign KD, I don't see any team being able to sign enough free agents to dethrone the Warriors, at least not yet. Maybe Boston in a few years when their young players get more seasoned.

Originally Posted By: Al
Why waste anytime watching BB during the season barely 4 of the 30 are competitive.

Yeah, but I don't think that's outside the norm...what's different is having two of them meet with the regularity of the last few years. Two or four teams owning the NBA isn't unusual although in the 70s there were seven or eight different NBA champions...probably because it was a relatively lousy era for the league.

From the Rick Barry championship era of the Warriors to 2013, Golden State only won 50 games twice in 37 seasons and went over a decade once in not making the playoffs. If the Patriots have won the AFC East 15 times since 2001 and the Super Bowl 5x, I'm not sure where that lies on the boredom meter, but it's gotta be higher than Golden State's 3 recent championships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back