See What Happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
My wife, my stepdaughter and my stepson all drive me up a wall. Here's why...
They're always too busy and in a hurry for me to check under their hoods. I've given up on my stepson. He thinks he knows better. He doesn't listen when I do say he needs this or that and he ends up stuck. Guess who gets to go get him.
Yesterday, my stepdaughter came out to run some errands with my wife. After a few trips back and forth, her Jeep became hard starting. She called me. I was wrapping up a mountain bike ride and said I'd be there within the hour. I return home, open the hood, check the battery. It was a Deka that I had installed in 2015. Terminals were grossly corroded. I said this is PROBABLY your whole problem. I cleaned the terminals, added some dielectric grease, Jumped it with my truck to get it going and checked the alternator voltage. Alternator was fine. I said drive it around a little and come back and let me check the battery. I have one of those Midtronics testers that does the battery equivelant of an EKG. She was gone five minutes. Comes back, shuts the car off, starts it. Shuts it off, starts it again. Shuts it off once more and tries to restart and gets click. Since she's a teacher in Queens, NY, I decided to just install a new battery. Can't have her getting stuck. I'm in the city all day and can't help.
Here's the part that kills me. My brother is a Deka dealer. If I had seen this coming, I probably could have gotten some inkling of a prorate on the original battery. Since it was Sunday and the warehouse was closed, I was forced to buy a battery at Autozone. Autozone battery was 175-. A new Deka would have been 125, my cost. Now, her old one became a five dollar core when all along, if she would have been a little patient, probably would have lasted two more years.

She learned from the finest. My wife is one of those people that drives with the dash all lit up until the car stops running and then complains.
At least the wife lives with me. Every once in a while I take her keys and make sure everything is ok.

It is hard to merge altruism and real life. There are people who either see it as a sign of weakness, or that you are a mark ripe to be taken advantage of. I think that breakdown of societal trust leads to this.

Another problem is what is received free of charge is often taken for granted, or monopolized. You see it all the time when a kid is given a decent car and they trash it, because they never had to work for it. You offer to lend someone a tool and then you end up doing the work for them: "Hey, you have a impact gun right? I need to put my snows on....."

You are a step-parent, even worse a stepfather. What happens if their dad finds out their other dad taught them how to wrench? You might have to throw down!

At the end of the day, unless you are a true altruist, you want to help people who will actually appreciate it. Without this feedback, you will become jaded and not help anyone. Choose your targets wisely.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
My wife, my stepdaughter and my stepson all drive me up a wall. Here's why...
They're always too busy and in a hurry for me to check under their hoods. I've given up on my stepson. He thinks he knows better. He doesn't listen when I do say he needs this or that and he ends up stuck. Guess who gets to go get him.
Yesterday, my stepdaughter came out to run some errands with my wife. After a few trips back and forth, her Jeep became hard starting. She called me. I was wrapping up a mountain bike ride and said I'd be there within the hour. I return home, open the hood, check the battery. It was a Deka that I had installed in 2015. Terminals were grossly corroded. I said this is PROBABLY your whole problem. I cleaned the terminals, added some dielectric grease, Jumped it with my truck to get it going and checked the alternator voltage. Alternator was fine. I said drive it around a little and come back and let me check the battery. I have one of those Midtronics testers that does the battery equivelant of an EKG. She was gone five minutes. Comes back, shuts the car off, starts it. Shuts it off, starts it again. Shuts it off once more and tries to restart and gets click. Since she's a teacher in Queens, NY, I decided to just install a new battery. Can't have her getting stuck. I'm in the city all day and can't help.
Here's the part that kills me. My brother is a Deka dealer. If I had seen this coming, I probably could have gotten some inkling of a prorate on the original battery. Since it was Sunday and the warehouse was closed, I was forced to buy a battery at Autozone. Autozone battery was 175-. A new Deka would have been 125, my cost. Now, her old one became a five dollar core when all along, if she would have been a little patient, probably would have lasted two more years.

She learned from the finest. My wife is one of those people that drives with the dash all lit up until the car stops running and then complains.
At least the wife lives with me. Every once in a while I take her keys and make sure everything is ok.

It is hard to merge altruism and real life. There are people who either see it as a sign of weakness, or that you are a mark ripe to be taken advantage of. I think that breakdown of societal trust leads to this.

Another problem is what is received free of charge is often taken for granted, or monopolized. You see it all the time when a kid is given a decent car and they trash it, because they never had to work for it. You offer to lend someone a tool and then you end up doing the work for them: "Hey, you have a impact gun right? I need to put my snows on....."

You are a step-parent, even worse a stepfather. What happens if their dad finds out their other dad taught them how to wrench? You might have to throw down!

At the end of the day, unless you are a true altruist, you want to help people who will actually appreciate it. Without this feedback, you will become jaded and not help anyone. Choose your targets wisely.

Their father couldn't care less what I teach them. He's never been a problem. He also knows better than to come looking for trouble around here.

I don't want everyone to get the wrong idea. Everyone appreciates what I do for them. If I thought for a second that they didn't, I wouldn't do it. My stepson wants to think he knows things and is incredibly cheap. He has a good job but won't buy a battery until the old one is dead. That's not how I roll.
When I do work for them, they pay for all the materials and we always get taken out to dinner or get a gift. My stepdaughter is a great girl and I would rather do the work for them and not let them get ripped off. I just wish I would have had a chance to look under the hood sooner so I could have ordered a battery and saved fifty bucks.
We bought them their original cars when they were in college. I give them credit. They kept them nice and traded them in for fair values and bought newer cars after they graduated and got jobs. My stepdaughter has a 2010 Jeep Liberty which really needs to be replaced with a new car at this point but she lives in an apartment in Queens with her husband and parks on the street. Everyone's car gets keyed for parking in front of the wrong house. I told her to not get a new car until she and her husband buy a house. The Jeep runs ok and is easy enough to take care of. She should get another year or two out of it.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Well If your getting over 20 points year over year in the Market as we have been. Now with over value and stagnation I'd say pay 35-50% down cash and finance the balance ... 1-3% is still cheap money for a Car loan.

Well that is great, but MOST of the car buying public does not get 1-3% and they buy cars with a loan because they realistically cannot afford the car.

I agree what your co-worker did was stupid, since essentially they lost 3 grand in a matter of days, but at least they didn't owe on it. I know people who have taken on new car loans while they still owe a boat load of money on a vehicle that is now basically salvage due to mechanical damage. It's crazy.
crazy.gif

I replaced both batteries on my F250 today. First search was for DEKA, which I have had great luck with in the UTV/ATV/Motorcycle world. Could not find locally...ended up at Costco for 2 group 65 batteries that are Interstates and the specs say 850 CCA instead of the factory 750 CCA. $95 each with a 42 month free replacement warantee, and manufactured last month is pretty good I thought.

That is pretty good. The battery I ended up with was built in April. I was happy with that.

It's funny, my Dad was never one for maintenance. Neither is my older brother. But my little brother [recently discovered to be even more crazy and anal about cars than I am] and I are the ones who do the hood up and checking whenever we visit [visited in my Dad's case].

Dad got better as he got older, but my older brother is a lost cause. A serial murderer of cars, as is his wife.

Originally Posted By: DweezilAZ
It's funny, my Dad was never one for maintenance. Neither is my older brother. But my little brother [recently discovered to be even more crazy and anal about cars than I am] and I are the ones who do the hood up and checking whenever we visit [visited in my Dad's case].

Dad got better as he got older, but my older brother is a lost cause. A serial murderer of cars, as is his wife.

Hahahahaha! Too funny.

Back when I first met my wife we took a trip to Florida to spend some time with her parents. We were in my 98 Yukon that probably had 65,000 miles on it. In the middle of Tampa on MLK Blvd, the in tank fuel pump failed. My wife went on and on about how she's never been stuck ever and this truck was such a piece of junk. I refused to believe that so I asked her father and he ran down a list of about four cars that all seized up because she drove without oil. I let her know she was full of it and the next day we were back in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back