I need a truck and am not brand biased

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a house built on 5 acres and my GTI and the 4X8' trailer I have doesn't cut it. Plus I want something that can tow a larger trailer such as a boat, travel trailer??

I test drove 3 new trucks in the past week: A 2018 F150 4X4 3.5L V6 Ecoboost single cab with an 8' bed.
A 2019 Ram 1500 4X4 5.7L Hemi V8 crew cab with a 5'7" bed.
And lastly a 2018 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4 with the 6.2L V8, crew cab and a 6.5' bed.

The Ram rode Very nice, has the best interior and the best transmission of the three. The 5.7' bed is a joke.
The Chevy 6.2L V8 is a great engine backed by a crummy transmission.

I doubt I would really ever need an extended or crew cab however.
The 2018 Ford 3.5L Ecoboost now has port and direct injection. The truck felt like a rocket ship and has all I want in a truck, minus the tow mirrors.
I'm seriously thinking about this Ford:

https://www.dutros.com/new/Ford/2018-Ford-F-150-338a1ab70a0e0adf066f1de5f30f9466.htm?searchDepth=3:14

Regular cab trucks are rare, so it's nice to see that one (might be) purchased
smile.gif
Have you looked at the Chevy Silverado 2500HD? About the same price and you get a V8 without start-stop [censored], and the transmission should be better.

Last edited:
That's a LOT of coin for a regular cab 1/2 ton, and not even an XLT. A $2600 upcharge for the 3.5... yikes!

Unless you're planning on driving it until the wheels fall off, you'll take it in the neck on your resale value. There is simply not much demand for used regular cab 1/2 ton trucks that aren't cheap.

Look at the maintenance schedule of a Ford Ecoboost. I recently did for an older F150 and was very impressed. Can't speak for the newer ones. Ford engineering improved after purchasing Volvo years ago. I've always been a fan of Japanese vehicles, but Ford has come a long ways! Also, note the cost of water pumps and other maintenance parts; availability. I would look at the pros and cons of each. Whatever makes you happy! Good luck in your search.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
That's a LOT of coin for a regular cab 1/2 ton, and not even an XLT. A $2600 upcharge for the 3.5... yikes!
Are you looking at the window sticker or actual price on dealer website. It is listed on dealer website for $34.7K, and I'm sure you can still talk them down more.

Unless you're planning on driving it until the wheels fall off, you'll take it in the neck on your resale value. There is simply not much demand for used regular cab 1/2 ton trucks that aren't cheap.

There is always demand for work trucks. If the PO keeps it for a while and takes care of it, the depreciation will not be a big deal.

I like the Chevy, but doesn’t matter what I like. Get the truck u like the best for you. Wow, they are pricey

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Way more money than I paid for my 2006 Duramax including my tax and license.

And candy bars cost more than they did in '06.

The dealer price is under $35k... For a truck with the upgraded engine (and payload in Ford's case), that is OK I guess. That being said I bought a nearly fully loaded XLT Supercrew 4x4 with the 2.7 for $37k out the door... The XLT's typically get higher incentives, but good luck finding a regular cab 8 foot bed!

In all honesty, they are all decent trucks. They all have their quirks. I'd buy any of them and drive it home tonight. I bought my Ford as it was exactly what I wanted. I test drove the others, and they all had lots to like too...

I checked out the big 3 when I bought my Sierra. I liked the powertrains in all 3 (I was looking at all V8's). My decision came down to the fact that I didn't like the Ford's interior, and I didn't trust the RAM's reliability.

What didn't you like about the transmission mated to the 6.2L? Just wondering. My brother is a professional fishing guide (he fishes for Muskies on Lake St. Claire). He has had two Silverado with the 6.2L (He's now in a 2017). He tows a big 21' boat 40k miles a year. He hasn't had a single problem with his transmissions, and as long as it's in "tow mode", he thinks it's pretty nice.

But if you like that Ford, here is the truck I just purchased. 2018 Silverado 3500HD (with the 6.0L gas....which does NOT use cylinder deactivation). The transmission on this truck is VERY heavy duty, and it's a 6-speed. I love this truck. I paid $37.6k, $40k OTD.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I had a house built on 5 acres and my GTI and the 4X8' trailer I have doesn't cut it.

Simple, rent the Home Depot truck as needed. It is ultra cheap and kind of fun. Plus no worries or commitments.

Otherwise, I'd be looking at a used truck maybe from the state surplus auction.

Can you define your goals better? Is it to haul 4x8 sheets of plywood? Trash to the dump? Drive in bad weather? Etc. Does it have to be new? What if it rains while moving stuff?

My 4x8 trailer disappears behind my truck. It's way too small (if not comical) back there. But you know what? Truck beds are at a ridiculous height. When I bought a new fridge I used my trailer--even if I didn't have the shell on the back, it would have been too much of a pain. And renting a truck for me is a pain: it's 30 miles to Lowes. Sure I could drive back and get my car. But it's not a 5 minute thing like some make it out.

I decided my truck was too sketchy in snow without snow tires. YMMV, but any future trucks will very quickly get snows (additional expense), 2WD or 4WD. But once I got snows I found I could leave it in 2WD much more often. Which is another point: my truck has a primitive part time 4WD. Once I hit pavement it needs to be turned off. Heck I get binding on snow when I go to park. I accept it for what it is, but honestly, since I don't off-road, it's really not the best for me.

Lastly, towing, I decided that since I'd always have family with me, the numbers kinda/sorta wind up around 5k max towing. On a half ton. Taking into account passengers, junk in the truck, and GCWR. YMMV, but that was my gut feeling. You with a 2WD RCLB and no kids would be in a different spot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Are you looking at the window sticker or actual price on dealer website. It is listed on dealer website for $34.7K, and I'm sure you can still talk them down more.

Does it matter, either way? I'd never pay nearly $35,000 for something with a regular cab.

The painful truth is, pick your options wisely, and one can get a 4x4 Super Cab STX with a 5.0 V8 and a 6.5 foot bed for the same money. Plus, the resale value and demand for a used SuperCab would be much higher.

I'd go with the Ford. The Ecoboost 3.5 is a beast both in towing and performance. It was a beast in the original design with the 6 speed. I'd bet with the 10 speed and more power it's even better. Ours has the max tow and has been great towing (9900 lbs trailer) and not towing. MPG isn't the best but that's fine as it's a 4th vehicle now.

The GM would be the second choice if the #s work out. The 6.2 is also a beast.

You may want to also give Nissan and Toyota a drive.

There's a reason Ford and GM sell the most of 'em.

Last edited:
We get new GSA trucks all the time from the big 3. I got to say, the F150 has impressed me the most. One thing, if you go above a 1/2 ton, the ride will beat your kidneys to death unless you got it loaded down. In the mid-west, trucks don't depreciate much if you try to sale it.

Does it matter, either way? I'd never pay nearly $35,000 for something with a regular cab.

The painful truth is, pick your options wisely, and one can get a 4x4 Super Cab STX with a 5.0 V8 and a 6.5 foot bed for the same money. Plus, the resale value and demand for a used SuperCab would be much higher.

In the month of April (when I bought my truck) Chevy was running $10-11k off of 1/2 ton Crew Cab's. But I could get a 1 ton truck in a regular cab for the same money as a 1/2 ton crew with $11k off with incentives. It was an easy choice. I needed a truck, not a Dad Minivan.

Does extra $7K matter? It does matter to some.

Quote:
Plus, the resale value and demand for a used SuperCab would be much higher.
OP never mentioned resale value being a consideration. If he's planning to keep the vehicle long term, then resale value is less of a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back