Fram air filter 35k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good, what did you replace it with?

"Stick it back in for another 200k miles" ~ BITOG.

However, according to Fram, that filter was only going to protect your engine up to 20,000 miles.

Replaced with another Fram. Not that dusty where I live. My driving is 70/30 city/hwy.

I was surprised at how good it looked. Honda says to replace every 30k miles. I replaced the factory filter at 20k and it looked much worse than this.

I put 105K on an air filter until it set a check engine light. Car ran fine otherwise.

I just wanted to see how far I could take it. There's not a lot of dust around here, and I know most people change their air filters too soon.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I put 105K on an air filter until it set a check engine light. Car ran fine otherwise.

I just wanted to see how far I could take it. There's not a lot of dust around here, and I know most people change their air filters too soon.

Just curious if anyone has cleaned the air filter with gas or compressed air? Also, did you ever clean it while taking it until 105K? Did CEL go off after your replace with a new air filter? Curious minds want to know
thumbsup2.gif

OP, looks good and really clean.

I can"t go 20K here and my filter looks, looks, looks awful....

Notice I said "looks".

Fram will soon be making an Ultra air filter for this application, XGA10013. I don't think it's out just yet, but is listed on Walmart's site. It should be out the next time you need to replace the air filter
happy2.gif

Some vehicles are worse than others-my F-450 has the snorkel mounted over the driver's side battery, pulling air from straight over the grill-gets black pretty quickly. Wife's xB could probably go 50K on an air filter, it pulls from the inner fenderwell area. OP-was that a standard Fram AF?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Fram will soon be making an Ultra air filter for this application, XGA10013. I don't think it's out just yet, but is listed on Walmart's site. It should be out the next time you need to replace the air filter
happy2.gif

The yellow media on the Ultra looks pretty cool. I've been using the regular Extra Guard for years on my cars. It really impressed me this time around so I'm just going to stick with it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Cterpillar tractor says get a filter that fits well, and leave it in for the duration of the service life, dont open it frequently to see how it is doing

I don't fiddle with the air filter during its service life. I just drop it in and leave it alone until replacement time.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Just curious if anyone has cleaned the air filter with gas or compressed air? Also, did you ever clean it while taking it until 105K? Did CEL go off after your replace with a new air filter? Curious minds want to know
thumbsup2.gif

I would knock the debris out of the filter every time I went to inspect it.
Yes, the CEL went out and did not return after installing the new filter.
Sure enough, the old filter did not pass the light test when trying to shine light through it. Otherwise it wasn't horribly dark, like cabin filters can be, and looked no different from a filter with 30K on it.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

thumbsup2.gif

I would knock the debris out of the filter every time I went to inspect it.
Yes, the CEL went out and did not return after installing the new filter.
Sure enough, the old filter did not pass the light test when trying to shine light through it. Otherwise it wasn't horribly dark, like cabin filters can be, and looked no different from a filter with 30K on it.

I am going to follow this and wait for CEL and then replace it.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: mclasser
From my Pilot. Fram CA10013 w/35k miles:

Is it just me or does that filter have a cloth texture to it? Mine are just the regular pleats that I am use to seeing and same goes for my wife's car.
I like the look of that filter. Looks like it would do a better job at filtering than the ones I use, which are Fram as well.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
The yellow media on the Ultra looks pretty cool. I've been using the regular Extra Guard for years on my cars. It really impressed me this time around so I'm just going to stick with it
smile.gif

FWIW, Honda uses oiled media in most of their OEM air filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back