Ants in the wall outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I've got sugar ants this time of year too and they come in the outlets.

Best thing is to be super anal about being clean for a couple weeks until they move on. Stuff like scrubbing the sink nightly with steel wool.

I would use an indoor bait that will be carried back to the nest. I would also follow up with an outdoor treatment to get any nearby nests.

I buy the professional grade products as the work better than the local store products. After you knock them out, you want to spray preventatively in the spring and fall.

Here is what i would use.

Indoor gel, you can apply a bit in several places with the syringe. You don't need a ton of this. And it can be used in crevces like outlet boxes.

$21

https://www.domyown.com/maxforce-carpenter-ant-bait-gel-p-112.html

For outdoor elimination and barrier I use this, it cannot be detected tasted by the ants/ termites and is carried back to the nest, not for quick knockdown. A bottle will last for years, unless you are doing a trench termite treatment. It's A generic version of Terminx's Termidor product, but less expensive, same concentration.
$43
but is very effective professional product and will usually last you for years.
https://www.domyown.com/taurus-sc-termit...amp;sub_id=1817

Once you have them eliminated, spray with this spring and fall for prevention, this also keeps spiders down. I spray around the foundation adn up inside and outside corners. ( I also spray a bit in liriope as ants seem to like to build nests in the roots) Its inexpensive. It is a wettable powder so it does not really dissolve. just clean out the sprayer, after use, don't let it sit or it will clog.

$8
and will make about 2 gallons( comes in 4 packets, 2 packs to a gallon)
Its Cypermethrin 40% ( compare that to any home depot or lowes product and see the percentage difference).

https://www.domyown.com/demon-wp-insecticide-p-74.html

Basically less than the cost of one exterminator treatment, you can knock this out with the same quality products they use. The Taurus will be enough to last years. you may not even need it that often if you do preventative treatments with the Demon product.

DO follow the directions to a T, be responsible. Avoid wells and becareful about runoff to ponds with any product.

Also for prevention, do not leave pet food out all the time, indoors or out. I measure amounts and feed my animals twice a day. They maintain a healthy weight better than all day access to food.

Food out all the time WILL attract ants.

Last edited:
Do the math, if 200 million of us start pouring ground poison chemicals in the ground, how much poison can the earth take and that's just in one state,,, does not make sense...just look at all the poison that is on the shelves at Lowes and Home Depot,,dangerous stuff there and you can buy it without a license,hmm.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
This was a new one for me, we were seeing little ants roaming around the kitchen counter occasionally. Finally noticed what looked like dirt falling onto the backsplash right below the outlet, and what looked like something oozing out of the outlet holes. Got suspicious, turned off the breaker, and took the cover off while armed with ant spray. It was FULL of ants! I gave a couple blasts of ant spray, took the switch and outlet out and pulled some masses of dead ants out, but is that just where they happened to make a nest? Hoping the spray discourages them from coming back.

We have ants like this in Texas, they are called Crazy Ants. They are tiny, only a little larger than the size of a pin head.
They call them Crazy Ants because of the way they run around like "crazy" and not in straight lines like other ants. They have become a big problem wherever they live because they get into electrics/electronics in HUGE numbers and can short them out. Piles of dead ones look like coffee grounds to me. They prefer to nest in cavities, like walls (and electrical boxes), but in Texas they also nest outdoors. Their colonies can be HUGE, numbering in the millions, and they can have thousands of queens so they multiply profusely. They are spreading rapidly but I didn't think that they had gotten that far north yet.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
These are the very small black ants a little over 1/8th of an inch? If they are go to Home Depot and get yourself some Terro Liquid Ant baits. They will get in there and take it back to the nest with them. We had them last years used the Liquid baits and we don't have any in the house this year. A few outside but I have the baits outside the house working on what few ants we have.

I just got put on to these last year after doing some reading and seeing they are now available in Canada. By far the best ant baits/killer I have used to date.
I placed one out back on our interlock patio, which is usually full of ant hills, and within a very short time, all the ants were gone. I placed one out there earlier this spring as a preemergent thing and also no ants so far.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Terro is basically sugar syrup and borax powder. It works effectively for ants that like sugar. You should see the ants feasting on the stuff for several days so don't spray and leave them alone to take the stuff back to their nest mates and queen.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
These are the very small black ants a little over 1/8th of an inch? If they are go to Home Depot and get yourself some Terro Liquid Ant baits. They will get in there and take it back to the nest with them. We had them last years used the Liquid baits and we don't have any in the house this year. A few outside but I have the baits outside the house working on what few ants we have.

It works great.

Originally Posted By: David2431
Tempo SC. It's a concentrate.

Orscheln Farm Stores have it for around $12 to make 2 gals. of mix. Safe around kids and pets. They use it in schools.

Great residual action. Buy a one pint hand sprayer or reuse a Windex (or Dollar General) window cleaner sprayer to spray it.

Be sure to mark the sprayer to avoid Catastrophes!

Also available on ebay. You don't need a license to buy it.

Great for many species of insects/spiders.

Sounds similar to what I use online. That ortho stuff from home depot does nothing for southern ants.

I purchase BIFEN I/T (insecticide, termiticide)

16 oz bottle of concentrate is about 15 bucks, 1 oz of concentrate goes into a 1 gallon pump bottle.

Kills every bug I have ever seen. I spray the foundation of the house every six weeks. Zero bugs zero mosquitoes, zero ants.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I purchase BIFEN I/T(insecticide, termiticide)Kills every bug I have ever seen. I spray the foundation of the house every six weeks. Zero bugs zero mosquitoes, zero ants.
Bifen is the Cat's Meow and Claws wrapped up in one. I haven't sprayed since last Summer. Plenty of mosquito's about lately so it's time.

Die Bug Die.....

As the manufacturer of Termidor® products, we have committed to the EPA to carefully monitor, and instruct upon, the correct use of our products. As part of our commitment to EPA, we have monitored this site.

Your recent participation in a conversation around the BASF product Termidor® termiticide/insecticide gave us concern about your possible use of the product. While we do not have all the facts surrounding your use, it is important that you understand the following:
• Non-labeled use of federally registered pesticides is a violation of federal and state law.
• Uses not included on the Label have not been evaluated for human and environmental safety and can result in human and environmental hazard.
Please carefully review the label to confirm the legal permitted uses of Termidor. You may also visit our website, pestcontrol.basf.us/properuse, which also contains information on the proper use of Termidor. For any questions you may have, you may call us at 800-777-8570, or email questions to [email protected] . We also encourage you to share these resources with anyone you suspect may be involved in the non-labeled use of Termidor®.

Thank You
The BASF Product Stewardship Team

I figured my neighbors are pests... good use for the product.

Anyway, picked up some Taurus SC and hopefully can control some ants around the driveway and home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back