Mobil Super 3000 UOA on 2015 Forester XT (FA20DIT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello bitog!

This is my first UOA on a Forester XT that I recently acquired from a family member.

Disregard that it says Mobil 1, at first that's what I thought the oil was but I found the service slip from the dealer that says bulk Super 3000 (that's what the dealers in Canada put in). Blackstone actually picked up on that.

The copper has me worried.

I know for a fact that I am a more aggressive driver than the family member that had it the first 50 000 km, could that be a factor?

I put in PP 5w-30 so hopefully the next results will be better.

Any thoughs?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Was your make up oil really 5.4 quarts?

English isn't my primary language so I might have misunderstood, but I thought make up oil was how much oil I put in the engine for the oil change. Engine capacity is 5.4 quarts

EDIT: after looking other UOA that are all 0, I guess it's how many oil was added between oil change, oups my bad.

Make up oil is 0 in that case.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 is what I put in this time.

I don't feel comfortable changing the oil grade yet as I am still under warranty...

High copper more from oil cooler, not bearing though.
With fuel dilution and high shearing, residual KV is a bit low but 14 ppm Fe at 6700 km is not really that bad.
The oil is through cold winter season and short trips?

Originally Posted By: zeng
High copper more from oil cooler, not bearing though.
With fuel dilution and high shearing, residual KV is a bit low but 14 ppm Fe at 6700 km is not really that bad.
The oil is through cold winter season and short trips?

Yes the oil was used from December to May with a very cold canadian winter.

Work is 3 km away so yes short trips as well

Originally Posted By: jbutch
Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 is what I put in this time.

I don't feel comfortable changing the oil grade yet as I am still under warranty...

Sorry did confuse with the eu mobil super3000 that is a 5w-40 oil grade.

Sodium could be from mixing of different oils or also road salt used in winter, but not sure that would account for all of it. How's your coolant level and have you had to add any?

I was under the impression that Mobil had some sodium in some of their recent oils. Either way it would be worth checking out.

PS: Is it possible some work was done on the vehicle prior to you getting it?

Last edited:
It's Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30 (SL, A5/B5, WSS-M2C913-D) ?

or Mobil 1 x1 5W-30 (A1/B1, GF-5) ?

Did you have a photo of oil ?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I was under the impression that Mobil had some sodium in some of their recent oils. Either way it would be worth checking out.

PS: Is it possible some work was done on the vehicle prior to you getting it?

No work has been done AFAIK

Originally Posted By: Gubkin
It's Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5W-30 (SL, A5/B5, WSS-M2C913-D) ?

or Mobil 1 x1 5W-30 (A1/B1, GF-5) ?

Did you have a photo of oil ?

No photo of oil as it was service by dealer.

On invoice it is written as follow: 5W30,205L DRUM, MOBIL SUPER3000

The extra Copper might be from bearings, since I don't think oil coolers continue to shed copper after 10k miles or so from new. Anybody know for sure?

Subaru requires this engine to use full-synthetic 5w30 or 0w30. I think the dealership cheated or made a mistake and put in low-cost Mobil conventional oil. Maybe anyway. The non-turbo Forrester uses 0w20, so they might be putting 5w20 in turbo engines and non-turbo engines as a mistake or laziness. Also it looks like the wrong viscosity was put in. That ending viscosity is way, way below a 30-weight and looks like what happens to a 5w20.

Mobil Super CONVENTIONAL oil does use sodium and titanium, so those are just normal from the oil itself, if it was conventional, non-synthetic.
Sounds like your invoice was trying to say you used https://www.mobil.com/English-GB/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-Super-3000-X1-Formula-FE-5W30 which I guess could be using sodium & titanium, although the American-market Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30 does not use sodium & titanium.
American-market Mobil Super 5000 conventional oil has used sodium & titanium ( http://pqiadata.org/MobilSuper5W20.html and http://www.pqiamerica.com/ExxonMobilSuper5000.htm ).
No Mobil full-syn in the U.S. uses sodium & titanium, so unless the Euro-market Super 3000 (and Canadian-market) uses it, then that is conventional oil here.

I also suspect the dealership accidentally put in 5w20 since your KV100 viscosity was actually on the low side even for a 5w20.

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
Sorry did confuse with the eu mobil super3000 that is a 5w-40 oil grade.

We have that in Canada, too, as a bulk only product. Generally speaking, in Canada, Mobil Super 3000 products are simply bulk synthetic or synthetic blend products with several grades available in the line. I have them on my sell sheets, and they come in large quantities only.

For those in Europe wondering about this specific 5w-30, it's probably a dexos1 certified product, not specifically A1/B1, but I don't have my sheets in front of me to verify.

That's the one. The picture may be deceiving, though, since my sell sheets don't list anything about 1 L bottles, or even 4.4 L Canadian Imperial Oil jugs.
wink.gif
Drums and 1200 L pallets were what I remember seeing.

Originally Posted By: zeng
This oil is Mobil Super 3000 Formula D1 5W30 SN GF5 RC
From that link, I think the dealer used conventional "Mobil Super 1000" (Canadian name), which has another name in the U.S, not the synthetic stuff. Too much titanium & sodium, which Mobil has never used in any of their synthetics AFAIK.
Its not the first time a dealer would have put in the wrong weight, and wrong type (conventional GroupII) oil.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
The extra Copper might be from bearings, since I don't think oil coolers continue to shed copper after 10k miles or so from new. Anybody know for sure?

Subaru requires this engine to use full-synthetic 5w30 or 0w30. I think the dealership cheated or made a mistake and put in low-cost Mobil conventional oil. Maybe anyway. The non-turbo Forrester uses 0w20, so they might be putting 5w20 in turbo engines and non-turbo engines as a mistake or laziness. Also it looks like the wrong viscosity was put in. That ending viscosity is way, way below a 30-weight and looks like what happens to a 5w20.

Mobil Super CONVENTIONAL oil does use sodium and titanium, so those are just normal from the oil itself, if it was conventional, non-synthetic.
Sounds like your invoice was trying to say you used https://www.mobil.com/English-GB/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-Super-3000-X1-Formula-FE-5W30 which I guess could be using sodium & titanium, although the American-market Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30 does not use sodium & titanium.
American-market Mobil Super 5000 conventional oil has used sodium & titanium ( http://pqiadata.org/MobilSuper5W20.html and http://www.pqiamerica.com/ExxonMobilSuper5000.htm ).
No Mobil full-syn in the U.S. uses sodium & titanium, so unless the Euro-market Super 3000 (and Canadian-market) uses it, then that is conventional oil here.

I also suspect the dealership accidentally put in 5w20 since your KV100 viscosity was actually on the low side even for a 5w20.

Typically, yes, oil coolers shedding copper does start to subside as the engine breaks in. Although, there have been quite a few uoa's posted on nasioc on 2.0DIT's where certain oil brands showed high copper after break-in. No reasonable explanation has been given and I don't believe that anyone has pursued anything beyond a typical Blackstone/OAI uoa.

A 2.0DIT showing a used oil viscosity of a mid-20 grade is pretty typical for these engines so it's hard to know the exact viscosity unless you see for yourself what's going into the engine. There have been cases where dealerships have used 0W-20 in turbocharged Subaru's though.

I should have clarified cases of dealers using 0W-20 in turbocharged Subaru's that spec 5W-30 since the new Ascent turbo specs 0W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back