Anyone using a conventional synthetic in a CR TDI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a deleted CR TDI and have been sticking with the recommended VW 507 oils since new but I am considering switching to T6 or Schaeffer's. Is that ok since it's 5w-40 instead of 5w-30 like the VW 507 oils?

Id say youd be fine, most of the reason you had to use specific oils was when the oil burned it affects the emission equipment.

Lots of people stopped worrying about that certification after being deleting. Any modern synthetic diesel rated oil will do fine in them once the DPF is gone.

I will say that your thread title "conventional synthetic" was a little hard to follow for a second.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: jayg
Lots of people stopped worrying about that certification after being deleting. Any modern synthetic diesel rated oil will do fine in them once the DPF is gone.

I will say that your thread title "conventional synthetic" was a little hard to follow for a second.
cool.gif

I hear people say that, but no one has posted an analysis yet.

Lol. It's been so long since I've used a non synthetic oil in anything I forgot about them being referred to as "conventional".

I wouldn’t worry about seeing an analysis. People have been doing it for almost 10 years since the CR 2.0 came out over in TDIclub. I did it for a few years on my deleted 2012 Jetta with m1 tdt with no issues.

Without the dpf to worry about, there’s nothing to worry yourself over as far as lubrication. HPFP grenading , intercooler icing (for the air to air equipped cars) , egr issues....those on the other hand are still what if worry about.

Originally Posted By: Terry270
I have a deleted CR TDI and have been sticking with the recommended VW 507 oils since new but I am considering switching to T6 or Schaeffer's. Is that ok since it's 5w-40 instead of 5w-30 like the VW 507 oils?

would move to Castrol 0W40. Forget T6.

I wouldn’t worry about seeing an analysis. People have been doing it for almost 10 years since the CR 2.0 came out over in TDIclub. I did it for a few years on my deleted 2012 Jetta with m1 tdt with no issues.

Without the dpf to worry about, there’s nothing to worry yourself over as far as lubrication. HPFP grenading , intercooler icing (for the air to air equipped cars) , egr issues....those on the other hand are still what if worry about.

The car has 240k on it now so I probably will get an analysis done.
As far as the other issues I have the 2micron kit so if the hpfp dies then I only have to replace the pump and filter. Egr is gone which also does away with intercooler icing issue. It should be pretty solid.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Have any data to back that up?

The car has 240k on it now so I probably will get an analysis done.
As far as the other issues I have the 2micron kit so if the hpfp dies then I only have to replace the pump and filter. Egr is gone which also does away with intercooler icing issue. It should be pretty solid.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Have any data to back that up?

Back up what? It has much lower NOACK (9.1% compare to 12.6%), it has robust HTHS, it has much lower cst. Simply it is much better oil for personal vehicle with engine of that size.
Research on the BITOG, numerous topics on Castrol 0W40, T6 or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back