Difference in XW-30s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently switched both my vehicles on over to Amsoil 0W-30 and loving it. Both vehicles drive beautifully and its a noticeable difference from what each vehicle specs. Needless to say, won't be going back to the thinner oil.

My question now though, what is the difference between 0W and 5W, besides the cold starts? When I first asked the question here about choosing one oil for both vehicles, someone suggested to stick with 0W for the base stocks and add pack. Guess I want to learn more about this before I make my next oil purchase.

Thank you.

Last edited:
The 0w have to meet different pumpability requirements at a lower temp than 5w. To do this without a ton of VII basestocks with better cold flow properties are required.

From a protection standpoint, you’d be hard pressed to find a difference.

In AZ, no difference really between 0 and 5; as you mentioned it is only when cold.

Since you like Amsoil, you could try their excellent SS 10w30....it is super stout and could probably go year round as long as your temps are above 0*F

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
Why on earth would anyone run a 0w oil if it is above 0* F

Some engines actually call for one. My SRT calls for 0w-40 for example. Not that the Winter rating is overly relevant when it is 15C out like it is presently, but the higher output engines, and many Euro engines, spec a xW-40. GM's new Corvette fill is now 0w-40 as well.

Because 2 months later it could be so much colder and they don't fancy changing the oil that often?

One hunch I have is some 0w and 5w oils (eg. from SOPUS) are the same apart from different amounts of PPD in them, as the 40C and 100C KV and other figures are identical apart from the MRV/CCS numbers.

Originally Posted By: nap

Because 2 months later it could be so much colder and they don't fancy changing the oil that often?

I think the real question is why anyone would 'ever' use the 'water-thin 0w EPA [censored] junk oil' but maybe I'm reading into things too far.

Originally Posted By: Ifixyawata
I think the real question is why anyone would 'ever' use the 'water-thin 0w EPA [censored] junk oil' but maybe I'm reading into things too far.

No, you haven't taken it far enough. Are you trying to suggest that the 0W-40 I use in my BMW is "water thin"? If so, you need to learn what the winter ratings mean rather than what you imagine they mean.

You seemed to think a 0W-XX oil was okay here:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4631217/Re:_0W-40_pros_&_cons.#Post4631217

Do you mean like the last 450K I have used 0-20 in my Fords? Answer: Because it performs so well.

“...I think the real question is why anyone would 'ever' use the 'water-thin 0w EPA [censored] junk oil' but maybe I'm reading into things too far....”

Facepalm time.

Uh....what?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn

No, you haven't taken it far enough. Are you trying to suggest that the 0W-40 I use in my BMW is "water thin"? If so, you need to learn what the winter ratings mean rather than what you imagine they mean.

You seemed to think a 0W-XX oil was okay here:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4631217/Re:_0W-40_pros_&_cons.#Post4631217
Originally Posted By: tig1

Do you mean like the last 450K I have used 0-20 in my Fords? Answer: Because it performs so well.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
“...I think the real question is why anyone would 'ever' use the 'water-thin 0w EPA [censored] junk oil' but maybe I'm reading into things too far....”

Facepalm time.
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Uh....what?

I guess my sarcasm was missed by all... sorry. Anytime someone uses 0w-X in anything there's always a person demanding explanation if said user isn't in the arctic circle. It's usually accompanied by the 'water thin' argument. Look at my post history, I'm a fan of 0w's and I even loaded up on the PP 0w-40 that was on clearance at WM recently.

I'M running a 10w30 and the engine runs better than any 0w or 5w30 Ive run (for the way I drive, sometimes having to floor it and rev it to 5500 rpm when commuting - only where required, of course)

Why? because its just a magically good oil formulation and they don't come along too often.

Two years ago it was the darling Semisyn Magnatec 5w30 promo oil - A good oil. Then BP spoiled the formula with the FULL Synthetic Formula - BOO!

Before that I was hapless. Desperate.

Five to Seven years ago Edge Gold bottle premium "synthetic" was a top performer, Then BP messed THAT sweet mix up! BOO!

Age old advice?
Above -15F? forget the winter rating and use a GOOD oil. And a good filter.

Now you have to find one. Ain't been an easy road, pardner.

Last edited:
Sarcasm doesn’t come across very well on the inter webs. Anyway, thanks for clearing things up.

In the past few months here the screen door has been left open and lots of flies have come in. Sorry to have thought you were in that bunch.

Reason I am running the 0W is because it's what the CR-V specs for, and I let that be the deciding factor between 0W and 5W. My question was more geared towards the base stocks and if their is any benefit of keeping with the 0W, regardless of the temperature.

Boy, you opened a can of worms.

Generally, a 0W-xx oil will have a lighter blend of base oils to hit the 0W cold specification, with more viscosity index improver (VII) additives to hit the W-XX operating temp specification. Often, 0W oils have a higher quality base oil (such as PAO), for example Castrol EDGE and M1 EP and AP. I don't think 0W vs. 5W matters much, which is evident in browsing the UOA section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back