How many hours is a Fram Ultra good for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all know they're good for 20k miles on an odometer, but what does that equate to in hours? I have an Ultra on my Kubota diesel front end loader installed last October. Kubota recommends a 100 hour oil change interval, and it'll probably take at least two years to rack up 100 hours on it. Should the filter be changed then or go another 100 (or more?)
Tractor is ran at a consistent RPM of 2000 when in use, and is always brought up to full operating temperature each run cycle so this is probably an easy job for the oil and filter I would think. Oil used is Rotella synthetic and it holds 4.5 quarts in the sump.

Based on the constant 2000 RPM, I'd use a speed of 60 MPH for the equivalent mileage calculation. 20,000 miles at 60 MPH would take 333 hrs. If you ran it 200~250 hours I'd say you'd be plenty safe.

Well, I did a little digging, and the gov't seems to think the average overall speed of all vehicles is around 32mph. That means 20k would be roughly 600 hours, but I'd say change it somewhere short of that.

Running it 300 hrs would be 6 years at his use rate.

Normally Ford's calculations are 25 miles=1 hour, so that would mean good for 800 hours. I wouldn't push one that far right away, I would go 200 hours & cut it open & see what the inside looks like. The one I ran 19,600 miles looked almost brand new inside, it could have gone 40K (clean gas engine, xB in my sig).

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Normally Ford's calculations are 25 miles=1 hour, so that would mean good for 800 hours. I wouldn't push one that far right away, I would go 200 hours & cut it open & see what the inside looks like. The one I ran 19,600 miles looked almost brand new inside, it could have gone 40K (clean gas engine, xB in my sig).

Yeah I imagine mine will look pretty dirty inside. Oil turned black almost instantly after I fired it up and rechecked the level. Gotta love diesels! Lol

250 hrs is the norm for off road equipment. 1 or 2 years for both oil and filter. Filter could go longer, but since you are in there anyway, might as well do it ...

I follow the rule of not leaving used oil in an engine for over a year regardless of hours or miles. Im sure your owners manual will say "or one year whatever comes first". In that case i would use cheaper oil and filter or shop for better stuff at a discount.

Water in oil may be something, the oil has to get to the temperature. My Chev Volt runs very little on gas, and the OLM counts down to 2 years max regardless of use. So GM thinks 2 years is a limit on oil. A Frantz would be a good option on something like this diesel tractor. Clean up that oil and takes out water .

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Water in oil may be something, the oil has to get to the temperature. My Chev Volt runs very little on gas, and the OLM counts down to 2 years max regardless of use. So GM thinks 2 years is a limit on oil. A Frantz would be a good option on something like this diesel tractor. Clean up that oil and takes out water .

Oil gets up to temperature every time it's used.

Originally Posted By: jongies3

Not really.

Yep, if the oil gets to 200+ deg F for for 30+ minutes there's nothing to worry about.

Oh I see, you say YOUR oil gets up to temp. Depending on the weather oil in the filter may not get so hot though, being it is a cooling sump as well as a filter. My bad as they say. I am not one to not admit I made a mistake like some folks on here.

On the water topic, water in oil is not so good as the engine is warming up, even if later it is burned off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back