Peak Global Life Time-Is it really "Life Time"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings-
What makes Peak Global Life Time coolant "Life Time". Is it really "Life Time", or is that just marketing? All other coolants specify a change frequency/mileage, but not this brew. I would think if its truly "Life Time", car manufactures' would be all over it.

I suspect that the use of the phrase "Life Time" in this based on the following:

The coolant is a "super long-life" coolant, which an be used for a ridiculously long time. Add to that the term "Global" in the name, and you also add that it can be used in any vehicle. Your average consumer interprets that to mean that they can use it in any car they own without concern, an that they can leave it in pretty much 'forever', which since most (90+ percent) consumer car owners only keep their cars for 5 years or less means that for them, it essentially IS forever.

I use the Farm and Fleet long life universal. Made by Peak. Buy a case at a time and just about anytime the coolant gets drained for some reason new coolant goes in,long life or not.

That is the coolant I had in a 07' WRX I once owned. I bought the concentrated type and mixed it 50/50. Subaru was still using traditional coolant and called for the change interval at 30K miles or 30 months. I sold the car with 136K, only changing the coolant once and never had an issue.

Until the system needs to be serviced (water pump, heater core, hoses, thermostat), 100k KM max before one of those events.

You have to assume low mileage cars are more likely to get the real thing, "global" coolant is for emergencies where the system is probably going to get flushed. Or some high mileage beater that just gets generic coolant now.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
That is the coolant I had in a 07' WRX I once owned. I bought the concentrated type and mixed it 50/50. Subaru was still using traditional coolant and called for the change interval at 30K miles or 30 months. I sold the car with 136K, only changing the coolant once and never had an issue.

Correction: Looking at my maintenance log on the PC, I did change the coolant again at 105K miles when I changed the timing belt.

Life time means nothing unless it's specified. You could always call and ask them "whose life time" the life of the car? The life of my pet dog? My life?

You get the point.

My 2008 Corolla came with Toyota pink which is rated for 10 years/120K on the FF....I changed it out after 7 years and 75K to PGL....I just changed it again at 112K (and 4 years) using PGL (again).....I used distilled water both times so I'll probably go 6 or 7 years or until the car is sold.

So to answer your question....I don't think any coolant is 'LIFETIME" but some, like Toyota pink and PGL can go for 7 to 10 years and over 100K.

PS: I think that changing LL coolant every year or two is a waste and unnecessary...especially with cars with timing belts where the water pump gets changed every 80 or 90K. Every 4 or 5 years is fine with a LL (EL) coolant...IMO..

Here's what Peak Old World says the term "Lifetime" means for PGL. First bullet point.

"Provides guaranteed 'lifetime' protection – for as long as you own your vehicle – when a complete cooling system flush and fill is performed and specified maintenance followed." Seems a reasonable explanation and definition imo.

https://peakauto.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/PEAK_Global_FS_spec_sheet_2015_noback_LORES.pdf

It's good for 'at least' as long as the long(est) service interval PHOATs and OATs like Dex, which is a long time. And no 2eha. There isn't a PC application that with a complete flush I wouldn't trust PGL as the AF. Using it now in an older Tacoma originally specing red LL. Almost 5 years interval now and original radiator.

PGL a good AF imo.

Sayjac-
They're slick with the wording- its "Life Time" if one does the required coolant changes/maintenance specified in the Owner's Manual, most likely 5 years. Big deal- any quality coolant can do this.

Its not a fill and forget coolant like its name suggests/implies (in my opinion).

I'd say it would be "slick" if they didn't give or hid their definition of what Lifetime meant for warranty purposes, imo. That said, I don't get caught up in the semantics of the name. More important, it's a good AF that in my observation is generally well respected in bitog and has been since I joined.

And not just any quality coolant is an extended life OAT AF with no 2eha (found in Dex and Dexclones/Prestone) making it suitable for use many applications.

I'd think anyone with some common sense AND knows how to read would realize the term Lifetime to be taken with a grain of salt.

"...grain of salt"?
What else is to be taken with a grain of salt in any of their statements/claims? My question was not about your wonderful experience in using it, but are they sincere/truthful in their claim of "Lifetime"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back