Hawk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is one tough looking chicken, I think it might be starving/weakened though to hang around on the ground with you that close. Maybe feed it a raw chicken thigh with the bone out, but skin on?

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Looks hot (beak open) put out a pan of water also...
it was hissing and yelling at me. I took the pic with my phone. I was that close to it! No zoom lens here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I don't advise giving it water or feeding it. That is what my state advises in such a case.

With rabies, that's the case for sure. However an animal generally won't drink if it is rabid.

Probably be gone in the morning anyway....

It does look young, but I am not familiar with that species of hawk. If so, perhaps it cannot fly yet.

I would advise against feeding it, maybe put some water out where it can find it. Don't be a "mother" and show yourself feeding. Just leave a dish somewhere with water in it and maybe will collect water if it rains.

You have to remember this is a wild animal and thrives in the wild. That goes for all the others that might interact with it, including eat it. Sorry, but that's the way it goes. Human intervention generally only makes wild animals more likely to fail to survive in the future. You aren't doing it any favours by feeding it.

Birds do carry viruses and insect parasites. Remember that birds, pigs and humans are the three legs of virus mutation. It may carry a virus that is harmful to humans but benign to the bird.

Surely there is someone you can call if it really bothers you, who will capture it, mend it if necessary, and release it. SPCA (or ASPCA) is not just about dogs and cats.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
It does look young, but I am not familiar with that species of hawk. If so, perhaps it cannot fly yet.

I would advise against feeding it, maybe put some water out where it can find it. Don't be a "mother" and show yourself feeding. Just leave a dish somewhere with water in it and maybe will collect water if it rains.

You have to remember this is a wild animal and thrives in the wild. That goes for all the others that might interact with it, including eat it. Sorry, but that's the way it goes. Human intervention generally only makes wild animals more likely to fail to survive in the future. You aren't doing it any favours by feeding it.

Birds do carry viruses and insect parasites. Remember that birds, pigs and humans are the three legs of virus mutation. It may carry a virus that is harmful to humans but benign to the bird.

Surely there is someone you can call if it really bothers you, who will capture it, mend it if necessary, and release it. SPCA (or ASPCA) is not just about dogs and cats.

Johnny … too succinct … it’s from CA … this bird is probably entitled to more than this OP who thinks he owns that land … that’s why the bird is angry …

If you get a virus from a pig, you need a oinkment.

If you get the virus from a bird, you need a tweetment.

did you say rain? Surely that's a joke
smile.gif
. I let him be,actually went back out after dinner and could not find him.

Looks like a young Peregrine Falcon based on the breast feathers. Could be something like a Red Tail too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back