2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost spark plugs 55kMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to post these back in December. I decided to do the plugs before my move to Oklahoma from California. They didn't look bad but the gaps were a little big (I can't remember the specifics anymore). I put Motorcraft plugs back in it. Overkill I know, oh well.

They look fine I'd keep using the same kind.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
We usually start seeing the EB motors blowing out spark plugs around 30K miles. They look good though. How was changing them on a 2.7?

It was not difficult.

Originally Posted By: old1
I would have pulled one, looked at it, and put it back in and said I'll check again around 100k.

I wished I'd done that, but I had the plugs already and decided it wouldn't hurt.

We usually start seeing the EB motors blowing out spark plugs around 30K miles. They look good though. How was changing them on a 2.7?

When you say "blowing out spark plugs"....do you mean literally like the 5.4 engines which ejected them?

Originally Posted By: pbm

When you say "blowing out spark plugs"....do you mean literally like the 5.4 engines which ejected them?

No no, the gap increases and the spark gets blown out by turbo pressure. My S60R started doing it consistently at 30K miles.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
At least you don't need cylinder heads replaced due to oil usage

I'm glad mine was not affected by that. It uses no oil at all.

Originally Posted By: 229
Has the gap opened up on one of them more than the others?

No they were pretty consistent if I remember right.

I have the 2.7, but it's so new I don't know it well. So far, I am really liking it. I'm also quite tickled to say that as I type this the mpg average is at 21.0, and it's a 4wd. I'm an easy driver on it, so that may not be representative.

It looks like the plugs you removed have a platinum puck on the ground electrode, though they look worn and one looks like it's almost gone. Did the replacement Motorcraft plugs have a platinum puck also on the ground electrode? I purchased Motorcraft plugs for my 2.3 EB to replace at around 30,000 mi per BDCardinal's observations at his Ford dealership. I haven't removed the factory plugs yet but the Motorcraft replacement plugs, CYFS-12Y-2, only have an Iridium positive electrode, no platinum puck on the ground electrode.

Whimsey

How do people stay on the road that don't frequent forums about their Ecoboost's needs and simply use the owners manual (or not even that....) to determine when to do maintenance?
Blowing out plugs.
Coking up if you don't use platinum mega synthetic gold motor oil every 3000 miles.
Gotta run it hard or it'll coke up.
Premium fuel is a must.
Park only facing the southwest........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back