2018 Accord 2.0T Touring Factory Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Holy moly batman.

All down the drain, now.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Holy moly batman.

Typical Honda factory fill. Molybdenum is presumably from assembly lubes.

UOA looks good, but viscosity suggests considerable fuel dilution despite Blackstone’s assertion to the contrary.

Originally Posted By: Brolly
Filled back up Castrol Edge Extended 0w-20 Honda filter
Probably should have high moly in your Honda for a few thousand miles more. Castrol Edge doesn't have the high moly.

mightymousetech, a Honda technician, last year said "I am a dealer tech (20 years with Acura/Honda) every couple years we get another service bulletin from Engineering stating that doing the first oil change early can damage the engine, and we are NOT to change the factory fill early. The factory fill oil is not the issue, it is the high moly assembly lube used they want retained in the oil. Doing the first oil change early can cause hot spots to form in the engine."

So if the issue is go with high moly in Honda new engines for a few thousand miles, then go with Zepro 0w20.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...lis#Post4768630
or go and get Mazda dealership "Mazda Genuine Motor Oil" which is the same stuff really.
(Note: There are 2 varieties of Zepro 0w20, and both have "high" moly, its just that one has insanely high moly, so either will work fine here.)

If you don't want to go thru the hassle of changing your Castrol out (understandable), then just put in a half-bottle of LiquiMoly Ceratec (napa autoparts; amazon), and that will raise the moly level safely.

Do you think that it might have been a good idea to have left this high moly brew in for maybe double the miles, as Honda used to recommend in the earlier Accords?
Fuel dilution looks to be negligible, which means that it'll be 3X negligible on a normal 15% MM IOLM change.
Maybe the whole fuel dilution thing has been more hype than reality?
Anyway, this FF UOA looks good.
How do you like the car overall?
Have you owned earlier generation Accords?
I ask because we've had a number of them over a few generations and my Gen 8 is less satisfactory in ride compliance, handling and tracking than previous generation Accords we've had.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Probably should have high moly in your Honda for a few thousand miles more. Castrol Edge doesn't have the high moly.

mightymousetech, a Honda technician, last year said "I am a dealer tech (20 years with Acura/Honda) every couple years we get another service bulletin from Engineering stating that doing the first oil change early can damage the engine, and we are NOT to change the factory fill early. The factory fill oil is not the issue, it is the high moly assembly lube used they want retained in the oil. Doing the first oil change early can cause hot spots to form in the engine."

So if the issue is go with high moly in Honda new engines for a few thousand miles, then go with Zepro 0w20.
or go and get Mazda dealership "Mazda Genuine Motor Oil" which is the same stuff really.
(Note: There are 2 varieties of Zepro 0w20, and both have "high" moly, its just that one has insanely high moly, so either will work fine here.)

If you don't want to go thru the hassle of changing your Castrol out (understandable), then just put in a half-bottle of LiquiMoly Ceratec (napa autoparts; amazon), and that will raise the moly level safely.

Thanks for the info! I probably will add some in till I get to the next change.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

+1

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Do you think that it might have been a good idea to have left this high moly brew in for maybe double the miles, as Honda used to recommend in the earlier Accords?
Fuel dilution looks to be negligible, which means that it'll be 3X negligible on a normal 15% MM IOLM change.
I ask because we've had a number of them over a few generations and my Gen 8 is less satisfactory in ride compliance, handling and tracking than previous generation Accords we've had.

Probably would have been a good idea to keep the high moly in will look to possibly add some moly in.

I had a 2008 Accord Ex 2.4 that I bought brand new. Quality is a huge step up with this 10th Gen. the 2008 Brakes were a problem with in the first 5k the pads where shot. They replaced 2-3 times I believe. Heard that the pads were made incorrectly. I got tired of dealing with it so I put some NAPA Ceramic pads and new rotors. Cured the problem. Then there was a front suspension issue that took 6 months worth of time in the shop to figure it out over 2yrs. Also had a oil leak that showed up forgot where it was but that was fixed. Before I gave it to my BIL I had Pirelli CINTURATO P7™ ALL SEASON PLUS which made the ride sooo much better. I still love the car and it will come back to me after he is done with it. I do like this one it’s a different ride and interior are much nicer in this one. The transmission is smooth the cabin is quiet. Infotainment is very well done. Sure there have been a couple resets on the infotainment but that does doesn’t bother me.

6.28 cSt @ 100C and you believe fuel dilution is negligible? This is Blackstone. Had an almost identical Blackstone report a few years ago; subsequent OAI UOA had very similar viscosity but fuel dilution > 5%.

I took 2 samples. 1 went to Blackstone and now I need to send the other somewhere else. Napa maybe?

Does Ceratec contain moly? I thought it didn’t. LM does make a moly additive.

There will be residual moly in the engine to add to the new oil so no need to worry.

I took 2 samples. 1 went to Blackstone and now I need to send the other somewhere else. Napa maybe?

I’d try Polaris/Oil Analyzers, Inc. They use gas chromotography to determine fuel dilution and are really nice folks to deal with. If you get a second UOA please post it as well.

Yes, Napa.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Couldnt he add a bit of redline 0w20 or Lubegard Biotech to boost the moly?
Redline only has 500 ppm, so you couldn't put enough in to to make much of a difference. Lubegard Biotech has 1,900 ppm moly, better, but not as good as Ceratec's 5,000 ppm moly, so you can use less Ceratec to make a difference here. 'Bang' per ounce, you know. You only need 1/25 of the sump be Ceratec to get to 250 ppm in the brew, enough here.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Does Ceratec contain moly? I thought it didn’t. LM does make a moly additive.
They make LM MOS2, which has been commented on in the past as being inferior to other forms of moly, so I'm not sure its the best choice. LM's Ceratec has 5,000 PPM moly and 350 ppm HBN (Hex Boron Nitride) friction modifiers, and I'm guessing its slightly better to use.

Originally Posted By: Danh
6.28 cSt @ 100C and you believe fuel dilution is negligible? This is Blackstone. Had an almost identical Blackstone report a few years ago; subsequent OAI UOA had very similar viscosity but fuel dilution > 5%.
This is a new engine, which shears VII chemicals down to contribute greatly to the low 6.28 cSt KV100, and the turbo doesn't help either. Maybe not that much fuel dilution overall. Some probably.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh

Well, we don't know what virgin viscosity was and the oil remains within the grade.
I'm a little more puzzled at the TBN.
Seems pretty low for only 3K.

I know it's a new engine and all but that report makes me shudder..
>dat viscosity
>dat turbo
The factory fill's moly is the least of your concerns...

I think it's safe to say that after 3 THOUSAND MILES, that engine is well past the Break-in period. That's months and months of driving / heat cycling the engine and all other components. It's silly to think that things haven't settled in long ago. LOL. It doesn't take A YEAR of driving to break in an engine. LOL. That's complete nonsense. Many engines are broken in on a dyno within HOURS of operation.

Anyway, back to the OP and the car in question...

If the OP isn't planning on using a high Moly oil, which based on his oil choice, it doesn't seem so, then WHO CARES about playing backyard chemist and trying to add Moly?! The engine certainly doesn't. My Mazda has high Moly factory oil and has returned AMAZING UOA reports with ZERO Moly oil.

Let's not forget that there's residual Moly still in the block which mixed with the Castrol, so it's not like he completely removed all traces of Moly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back