hmm just got a call from my own number

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got calls from several people saying my # was on their phone as a missed call. Not possible as I have an older flip phone that you have to open to dial. Went to the Verizon store and the cust serv rep told me there is an ap that can disguise the real caller # & replace it with a random one. Great...

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
so what is this all about

I just received a call from your number.

Common spam/scam trick.

I have also gotten calls that are one number off from that of family members. Same [censored].

"This connection isn't sound. If my calculations are correct, it should be sometime around 2018 for whomever is reading this. DO NOT USE THESE CABLES. Something... happens with them. Something came through, something from somewhere else. We were overrun in days, not many of us are left. WE LIVE UNDERGROUND! ONLY YOU CAN STOP IT NOW. SAVE US. DO NOT USE THESE CABLES.

I don't have much time. This connection isn't sound. If my calculations are correct, it should be--"

Yes, the scammer con-artists can spoof your CallerID with any number they want.
For example, I kept getting scam calls from this one number, which looked "like" my number, only with 2 transposed digits. Hmmmm... odd... but they were trying to make me think I was getting a call from my own neighborhood, so I might be more likely to answer it. .... I did end up calling them back (using google's gmail internet phone), and once I answered and started giving them a fake credit card number to mess with them.... scammers, uggghh!

In your case, you got a call from a spoofed caller-id identical number, not just a close number like mine. I think this is because they really screwed up their con game, or, maybe they think that you seeing your own number makes it more likely for you to answer it. But, I think they just are being stupid because then you know something is "off" & weird seeing your own number.

Last edited:
Yeap, they "spoof" the phone number to use one similar to the one they're calling. That way, it looks familiar and is more tempting for some to answer it.

At work, we got a new phone # recently and someone that had it previously owes different people some debt (loan, credit card, etc - don't know, don't care). What the callers do is use a phone number of different local businesses in hopes it will trick them into answering.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Yeap, they "spoof" the phone number to use one similar to the one they're calling. That way, it looks familiar and is more tempting for some to answer it.

At work, we got a new phone # recently and someone that had it previously owes different people some debt (loan, credit card, etc - don't know, don't care). What the callers do is use a phone number of different local businesses in hopes it will trick them into answering.

If someone tricks me into answering I wouldn't do business with them if they were they last person on Earth.

Originally Posted By: John_K
If someone tricks me into answering I wouldn't do business with them if they were they last person on Earth.
True. However, these days people usually don't answer their phones unless its someone on their contact list (brother, wife, known people only).
Therefore, this spoofing of numbers is a desperate attempt by the scammers to get you to anwser your phone.

I'm one of those people that rarely talks on the phone. People know to leave me a message, or, text me if they want to communicate something short & concise. Most people are like that these days. Texting is king. Leave a message if its really important. Only a few people can actually talk to me on the phone (relatives & close friends only).

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: John_K
True. However, these days people usually don't answer their phones unless its someone on their contact list (brother, wife, known people only).
Therefore, this spoofing of numbers is a desperate attempt by the scammers to get you to anwser your phone.

I'm one of those people that rarely talks on the phone. People know to leave me a message, or, text me if they want to communicate something short & concise. Most people are like that these days. Texting is king. Leave a message if its really important. Only a few people can actually talk to me on the phone (relatives & close friends only).

Same here,
I never answer the phone unless i'm expecting it, other wise they can just leave a message.

I got a call earlier today from a very helpful gentleman, who even though he clearly did not have full command of the English language, was very insistent on helping me with a computer problem. I can't tell you how relieved I was to receive this call, as I didn't even know I had a computer problem!!

After much discussion, it was determined that I should gave him full access to my banking accounts, and put him in my will for all remaining assets.

What a fine, selfless, upstanding man he was..

I have been receiving an absurd amount of spam phone calls on both my cell numbers for the last year or so. Many times, they are the same area code and exchange as mine, just the last 4 being different.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I have been receiving an absurd amount of spam phone calls on both my cell numbers for the last year or so. Many times, they are the same area code and exchange as mine, just the last 4 being different.
One bright spot: Sometimes its fun to mess with them. Use their time. Practice your acting skills. ....I learned that if you give them a fake credit card number, then write it down as you say it, so you can read it back to them when they ask. ... Then, tell them what a POS they are. Hey, good times.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Wasn't there a horror movie like this about a babysitter receiving phone calls in the same house, lol

laugh.gif

These scamming crooks that call all of the time are probably in some big sweat shop call house in India. They like to spoof 3's hoping someone will pick up and believe their scam. I get maybe 2-3 calls per year where they call using my own number. I have a call blocker that blocks about 20 to 30 calls per week. Now if i feel ornery I sometimes override the block and play along with them for a while give them a made up credit card # or if it the computer scammers I tell them to be patient as my computer turns on then i walk away. For IRS scumbags I tell them to wait while i find my taxes and then I walk away. They usually hang up after a minute or 2 of dead silence. But yes these crooks use all kinds of fake numbers or numbers that are out of service. Crooks could care less about the "do not call list" I still think that the phone and internet companies could stop these scammers if they really wanted to.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
These scamming crooks that call all of the time are probably in some big sweat shop call house in India. They like to spoof 3's hoping someone will pick up and believe their scam. I get maybe 2-3 calls per year where they call using my own number. I have a call blocker that blocks about 20 to 30 calls per week. Now if i feel ornery I sometimes override the block and play along with them for a while give them a made up credit card # or if it the computer scammers I tell them to be patient as my computer turns on then i walk away. For IRS scumbags I tell them to wait while i find my taxes and then I walk away. They usually hang up after a minute or 2 of dead silence. But yes these crooks use all kinds of fake numbers or numbers that are out of service. Crooks could care less about the "do not call list" I still think that the phone and internet companies could stop these scammers if they really wanted to.

It's simple. Devices that allow you to "spoof" phone numbers serve no legit purpose,except perhaps in law enforcement. JMO; They should be outlawed for private use accompanied by stiff fines for violation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back