Tesla 3 out-selling MB, Audi, BMW, Lexus mid size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla Model 3 out-selling Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Lexus in mid-sized premium auto segment.

De9WxlhUwAAj3Px.jpg

http://www.starkinsider.com/2018/06/tren...to-segment.html

https://insideevs.com/tesla-model-3-sales-may-2018-u-s/

Tesla delivered 6250 Model 3 sedans in May 2018, and a total of 9220 vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Statistics can be twisted to confirm any point.

Tesla Model 3 outsells MB C class, BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and Lexus IS in the US as of last month. How are you denying that? It is not even statistics?!?

Last edited:
I think we are up to 5 at the office now. They are really sharp. I'm not totally sold on the front end. Because they don't need radiator air flow its just this blocky looking section in the bumper. Other than they they are beautiful cars. I really like the deep blue.

Some people will point out the issues they're having... sure lets just slam them and not allow for anything new. When is the last time a new car company came around?

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Tesla Model 3 outsells MB C class, BMW 3 series, Audi A4 and Lexus IS in the US as of last month. How are you denying that? It is not even statistics?!?

The "out-selling" headline is based on deliveries, but realistically these Tesla sales happened a number of months/years prior when customers made their non-refundable deposits. One could argue that the number of Tesla deliveries in May was artificially high because of manufacturing problems that prevented these deliveries from taking place in April and earlier months. If you had taken an average for April and May, Mercedes C-Class would have been on top.

Still, if Tesla continues ramping up as quickly as they are, they're definitely going to be in top spot.

Originally Posted By: CT8
People buy those cars to show off. Not because they are better.

Are you sure they're not better than the all electric 3 series? What about the all electric C-class?

Haters gonna hate
happy2.gif

I am certainly not a hater. I sincerely hope Musk succeeds in building a successful company.
However, there is a lot of cause for doubt, and if forced to bet on the outcome, it doesn't exactly look rosy.
IMO this is a company that people invest in more from emotion than logic. The company is teetering and needs a huge cash influx. The flame throwers smacked of desperation. I like Elon Musk and his Barnumesque image but often wonder, isn't building a car company from scratch (let alone an all-electric luxury car company) a full time job? Why the need to peddle Space X? Common sense (I know, it's dead as the dodo in 2018) would require one to question the wisdom of this two-pronged approach.

Not quite the "MSRP $35,000" iterations Mr. Musk has so fervently pitched.
Upside is former UAW GM plant in Fremont is finally rolling out some units.

OT: UCLA engineering graduate son just received a job offer from SpaceX.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Y_K
Tesla only reports global, not US numbers.
The Model 3 is only sold in the US and Canada

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

The "out-selling" headline is based on deliveries, but realistically these Tesla sales happened a number of months/years prior when customers made their non-refundable deposits. One could argue that the number of Tesla deliveries in May was artificially high because of manufacturing problems that prevented these deliveries from taking place in April and earlier months. If you had taken an average for April and May, Mercedes C-Class would have been on top.
Still, if Tesla continues ramping up as quickly as they are, they're definitely going to be in top spot.

Right-on! Mercedes C class is selling based on the name, I had an E350 and always looked at the C class as a wanna be. Perhaps now they have improved, but to me the MB qualities appear starting at the E class.

Last edited:
One could argue that people buy cars like MB and BMW to show off as well.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Y_K
Tesla only reports global, not US numbers.
The Model 3 is only sold in the US and Canada

And there have been very few to make it north yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: splinter
Not quite the "MSRP $35,000" iterations Mr. Musk has so fervently pitched.
Upside is former UAW GM plant in Fremont is finally rolling out some units.

OT: UCLA engineering graduate son just received a job offer from SpaceX.
smile.gif

Congrats on your son's job offer.

The Tesla drivetrains certainly are better. An electric motor is vastly superior to an ICE is nearly imaginable way in a car application.

That's pretty misleading as Tesla has just recently been delivering the 3's so it was like opening a door on waiting orders. I know someone who has been waiting a long time for his, will get it in July. I see a couple around , two have parked next to me when I charge my lowly Volt first gen. Looks pretty slick but I am old fashioned and don't like a large TV screen in the middle of my dash. I don't even like the small one on my Volt, which some say resembles a Kenmore. Fine with me, I like Kenmore appliances.
laugh.gif

Bookings and shippings and revenue recorded - are vastly different, but still pretty amazing bookings

UD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back