Oil pressure in a volvo penta 4.3gxi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running delo 15w-40 with fram ultra in my 4.3gxi engine. With the engine at idle and at running temp, I'm seeing my gauge at the quarter mark (20psi?) And while under load at higher rpms I'm seeing 40 psi. Is this normal? The engune has 200 hours on it so it's like new. Runs like a top. Doesn't burn oil. I'm just asking because I can't remember if the pressure gauge has fluctuated that much.

Thanks

That seems about right for a Chevrolet engine.My last boat had a big block Chevrolet and it was modified and had about 90 psi cold and 65 psi hot with 15w-40 oil

Originally Posted By: monster1
I'm running delo 15w-40 with fram ultra in my 4.3gxi engine. With the engine at idle and at running temp, I'm seeing my gauge at the quarter mark (20psi?) And while under load at higher rpms I'm seeing 40 psi. Is this normal? The engune has 200 hours on it so it's like new. Runs like a top. Doesn't burn oil. I'm just asking because I can't remember if the pressure gauge has fluctuated that much.

Thanks

Can you hook an external gauge to it?

$20 at HF.

20 psi at idle is plenty. 10 psi per thousand rpm is the norm. so 40 psi at 4,500 is just fine.

If it was 20 psi hot at load and speed, I'd be a bit concerned ...

But it's not an issue with your numbers
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back