mower pollution

Status
Not open for further replies.
EPA says we use 800 Million gallons of gas a year mowing our yards. WHAT A WASTE!

17 million gallons a year spilled during refueling. I know that new self sealing gas can spout makes me spill a LOT more gas. What a dumb idea. I need to try one of the push button types but mine is not so bad after I cut out the flapper valve.

Your new mower emits more than 11 cars.

2 cycles are supposed to waste 30% of their fuel.

So riddle me this, 2005 briggs 20 inch deck uses more gas to mow my yard than my 1979 F engine lawnboy.. It will mow over an hour on about ¾ quart of gas. The brigs uses a full tank at about 1.2 quarts. Yes, I poured the gas in a mason jar, and used a funnel to fill. The Lawnboy is full with less than one mason jar, and the briggs uses much more. I have a non-mulching blade on the briggs. The lawnboy also has more power and cuts better. So who really pollutes more?

Heck my old 1956 C engine lawnboy, since sold to a collector for way more money than it was worth, would run about an hour on it’s 1 quart tank. It did only have about 2 horsepower though.

Rod

I'd be fine with a grass-less lawn like people have in the southwest but my city would fine me for doing so.

You can't win with anything or with anyone. Ever.

So all you can really do is try and enjoy what you can.

Well it is what it is. As I post this I hear the pleasant sound of a mower next door.
57.gif

Last edited:
Baloney.

If that 17 million gallons spilled is true I blame it all on those stupid new gas can spouts. I have never spilled gas until I got one of the new ones.

Last edited:
I will seriously consider a battery-powered lawnmower and trimmer the next time around. If I can be sure I can get the lawns cut on one charge, and not have to replace a battery within the life of the mower chassis, I'm in.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Baloney

What do you want on it?

Spilled fuel.

Could get a goat but then they will complain how the goat farts contribute to climate change. We can't win.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fsdork
I will seriously consider a battery-powered lawnmower and trimmer the next time around. If I can be sure I can get the lawns cut on one charge, and not have to replace a battery within the life of the mower chassis, I'm in.

I would be open to that, but electricity generation is not free or without pollution either.

I used to have a gas-powered mower for our backyard lawn which worked well, but we got tired of the noise, the gas smell in the garage, the gas getting old, etc.. so I went and bought one of these:

2000-20_500.jpg

Quiet, easy to use, no annoying gas can in the garage, and cheap. Also, cuts very cleanly. Win-win, IMHO

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I used to have a gas-powered mower for our backyard lawn which worked well, but we got tired of the noise, the gas smell in the garage, the gas getting old, etc.. so I went and bought one of these:

2000-20_500.jpg

Quiet, easy to use, no annoying gas can in the garage, and cheap. Also, cuts very cleanly. Win-win, IMHO

I have an old antique one like that that worked well until the blades dulled. I should sharpen them and use it again.

I wouldn't blindly trust anything as fact coming from a government organization.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
Yet how much pollution do all these lawns soak up in that same period???
This reminds me of the people complaining that the farmers use too much water yet the people love to eat their food they produce. +1

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

2000-20_500.jpg

I have an old antique one like that that worked well until the blades dulled. I should sharpen them and use it again.

The Sharpening Kits made for these types of mowers actually make the process amazingly easy.

Originally Posted By: fsdork

I would be open to that, but electricity generation is not free or without pollution either.

Baby steps. It won't all happen at once.

i look out the window but I can't see the sky, the mower pollution is messin up my eyes

Originally Posted By: CT8
i look out the window but I can't see the sky, the mower pollution is messin up my eyes

Or the grass has grown over your windows!

Atleast the mowers are completing a task. Talk about a waste, I wonder how many gallons are wasted while people let their cars idle for long periods in the driveway so they have a warm car to drive during winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back