How long will the olm let it go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The olm on the wife's Tahoe has always gone way longer that I think it should. She does many short trips,sits in parking lots idling etc. I change the oil and filter every 5k regardless. The olm has never gone off before 5k.

As a test Last time I did not clear the olm. It's been 7k so far. How long do a think it will go before it says to change the oil?

Same generation GM OLM and same problem. Lots of short trips, all winter long too. How intelligent is it- is it compensating for cold starts and fuel consumed or just on mileage?

It's pretty intelligent and I'd trust it. Miss the OLM in switching from a Buick Encore to a Kia Soul. I usually changed at 15-20%. Other than electronics, the Soul is better, however.

Last edited:
I got 10,200 miles of highway driving. In mixed driving it’s usually about 7500 miles so certainly it can detect highway miles from slower city miles. 2008 6 liter Chev 3/4 ton Burb

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: csandste
It's pretty intelligent and I'd trust it. Miss the OLM in switching from a Buick Encore to a Kia Soul. I usually changed at 15-20%. Other than electronics, the Soul is better, however.

Been trying to trust it too, but the OCI can get lengthy in an old lady's short tripper-- that thing can easily go 1.5-2years. In one year, it dropped to 60% and I just had to change it.

My 2005 Trailblazer with 4.2 engine would go out to just over 10,000 miles when I drove freeway miles. Lots of low speed driving and idling and short trips and that would drop to about 6K - 7K miles. Of course it held 7 quarts of oil. IIRC, I would usually run the OLM down to about 10 - 20 percent and then change it.

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
My 2005 Trailblazer with 4.2 engine would go out to just over 10,000 miles when I drove freeway miles. Lots of low speed driving and idling and short trips and that would drop to about 6K - 7K miles. Of course it held 7 quarts of oil. IIRC, I would usually run the OLM down to about 10 - 20 percent and then change it.
I don't think hers shows percent used. I sure can't find it.

The GM OLM in my car is conservative and I normally exceed what it recommends. I went twice as far as it suggested once, but I added 3 qts of oil during that 15,000 mile run. UOA said everything was fine.

The OLM will let it go until it's time to change the oil
19.gif

Does it have any buttons on the steering wheel?

The gas pump button shows the mpg and the engine oil life percentage.

I go by the OLM on the GMC and the Cadillac. Because of the extremely dusty weather, I do a simple drain and refill at 50%. I change it out when it gets down to 1%, along with the air filter and oil filter.

Both are export vehicles calling for ACEA A3 in the manual as the specification of choice. Viscosity chart permits 0W-30 all the way up to 20W-50, I stick with Castrol Edge 0W-40 in German or Belgian flavor, depending on what's available. If I do a lot of highway driving, about 12,000 miles sounds right, but that doesn't happen too often anymore. As it stands, at ~4,500 miles the OLM will hit 50% and that's when I do a drain and refill. The oil still comes out pretty clean, but it's the dust I'm worried about and not the OLM.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Does it have any buttons on the steering wheel?

The gas pump button shows the mpg and the engine oil life percentage.
no buttons. What's a gas pump button?

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
I go by the OLM on the GMC and the Cadillac. Because of the extremely dusty weather, I do a simple drain and refill at 50%. I change it out when it gets down to 1%, along with the air filter and oil filter.

Both are export vehicles calling for ACEA A3 in the manual as the specification of choice. Viscosity chart permits 0W-30 all the way up to 20W-50, I stick with Castrol Edge 0W-40 in German or Belgian flavor, depending on what's available. If I do a lot of highway driving, about 12,000 miles sounds right, but that doesn't happen too often anymore. As it stands, at ~4,500 miles the OLM will hit 50% and that's when I do a drain and refill. The oil still comes out pretty clean, but it's the dust I'm worried about and not the OLM.
lots of dust here too. Constantly changing air filters.

If you want to know how intelligent the OLM is run it to zero and get a UOA. Not comfortable with zero then try 5 or 10% life remaining. But that could be taken as a lack of confidence in the system to some people. My understanding is they're getting better.

GM's OLM is great on V8 trucks. Run almost any cheap syn or semi-syn and get loooooong engine life.

Ours vary from a consistent 4000-4500 miles for our stationary operation service vans to as much as more than 10k for Silverado highway miles. Definitely working correctly.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
I don't think hers shows percent used. I sure can't find it.

Some don’t have % and understandably it makes some folks nervous. By the way, with GM systems, it’s “percentage left” and it counts down from 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back