2 Stroke oil.....What's the difference ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure which forum to post this in.........

I always thought 2 stroke oil was all the same, marine, chains saw, lawn mowers, motorcycle,, weed eaters etc....

What IS the Difference ??

Lots of differences! Outboard engine is seawater cooled, thus running no more than 55°C water temp. Outboard 2 stroke oil have ashless additives and have a lower viscosity due to the lower running temperature.

Motorsen

I use Stihl Ultra 2-stroke oil in all my 2-stroke OPE. Never had an engine failure running this stuff at 50:1.
In fact - Stihl doubled my warranty back when I bought an FS-45 trimmer years ago just for buying a 6-pack of Stihl Ultra oil with my purchase. Been using that oil every since - even with other brands of 2-stroke equipment.

Only real difference is when you get into the Marine oils - as noted above.

Last edited:
I disagree. You do not want to use TCW3 oil in a air cooled two stroke. It leaves a hard carbon and siezes the rings. I very had several two strokes down and that was the case.
Use a TC rated two stroke oil with a FB/ FC or FD rating.
FD is the best rating.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I disagree. You do not want to use TCW3 oil in a air cooled two stroke. It leaves a hard carbon and siezes the rings. I very had several two strokes down and that was the case.
Use a TC rated two stroke oil with a FB/ FC or FD rating.
FD is the best rating.

Toro says to use only a TCW3 in their engines. Are you saying not to use TCW3 in their engines or the companies that say you must use TCW3 or only the engines that are not recommending TCW3?

Nice to read, I didn't know there could be a difference. My only 2 stroke engines are my string trimmer and chainsaw. I use whichever 2 stroke oil is cheapest at Canadian Tire, usually Motomaster.

So............ TCW3 in 2 cycle Marine Outboards

Regular 2 stoke oil in everything else........chainsaws, 2 stroke lawn mowers, trimmers, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back