Wheel Well Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got done detailing the truck and noticed how bad the dirty wheel wells looked. Will they look new again after a good scrubbing? It has the plastic liners.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Maybe scrub good and use Pledge furniture polish?

I use tire foam after giving mine a good scrub. Turns them shiny black just like my tires.

I always use spray wax in mine. My 22 years old Nissan's wheel wells still look brand new.

I jet spray the wheel wells w the water hose then spray w protectant like armor all. It’s cheap and it works

Originally Posted By: Warstud
I just got done detailing the truck and noticed how bad the dirty wheel wells looked. Will they look new again after a good scrubbing? It has the plastic liners.

Wheel wells are often overlooked even by many so called "detailers". If the truck is driven, the only time they will be new is the day it was driven off the lot, but you can give them a good scrubbing (it's a messy job) and put on a protectant (non silicone) on them. Dirty wheel wells are one of my pet peeves.

Unfortunately those liners seems to stain or fade with consistent cleaning. I've gotten to the point where I just get them clean and move on. But, any non-silicone trim product will do the trick. I have Meguiar's All Season Dressing on hand that does really well and seems to last atleast one rain.

Um...IT DOES NOT MATTER what plastic wheel well liners look like, because they are, like, plastic wheel well liners.

It MIGHT matter what it looks like behind them, so I try and take them off every couple of years and spray in there, lately with a veg oil/diesel blend.

I'm looking at cleaning mine on my Tundra. Trying to get the old girl back in a little better exterior shape.

Here's what I'm going to try-

1. Pressure washer as best I can
2. Spray it down with some Shaffer's Vex Cleaner, diluted at 20:1, let it sit 10 minutes, use an old brush and brush what I can.
3. Spray it again, let it sit another 10 minutes
4. Hit is again with the pressure washer.
5. Spray with the Tire Foam as recommended above.

In the past, I've simply sprayed the Tire Foam, got the idea from my wife's uncle. It works great.

I think the old school detailer's trick was to wash/clean as best they could then use some matte or semi-gloss spray paint and spray it.

I'm speculating that a good car wash with undercarriage included does an admirable job as well...I know my wheel wells and undercarriage look mighty clean.

Originally Posted By: HYUNDAIFAN0001
I'm speculating that a good car wash with undercarriage included does an admirable job as well...I know my wheel wells and undercarriage look mighty clean.

I'm also pondering if any of those chemical solutions eventually have an adverse affect on the brakes...

I know my wheel wells and undercarriage look mighty clean.

Isn't your car a 2017?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I know my wheel wells and undercarriage look mighty clean.

Isn't your car a 2017?

Nope...a 2018.

I scrub mine with my wheel mitt, just the areas I can reach (which also happen to be the areas visible to the eye). If they don't come clean after the first time, they will after the second. I also keep a bottle of Adam's Invisible undercarriage spray on-hand but I don't use it unless I'm doing a FULL detail; just getting them clean is good enough 90% of the time.

For a daily driver, not caring. Too much time and effort for basically no return.

I used to wash and wax constantly, 3 buckets, seperate cotton no scratch everything, hours and hours of time. No more. I have not washed my tundra in 10 years and it looks great at 11 years and 165K miles. Silver, and realizing life is too short, made me stop with the non sense. I was actually going to wash and Zaino it(have from 10 years ago, used once) but said forget it. It looks great so why bother. Done keeping them pristine for the next guy, good is good enough when one has a life to live with kids and work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back