New Cub Cadet lawn tractor - which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, I'm looking at buying a new Cub Cadet riding lawn mower, and so far I've narrowed the choices down to LX46 and SLX50. The twin-cylinder EFI engine is a must, but otherwise I'm open to model. I'm not sure which is newer between the two or if one gets better reviews than the other. I'll be reading as much as I can about them in the coming days.

One thing sticks out to me immediately:

Cub cadet lists the SLX50 (50 inch) model as weighing 470 pounds. The LX46, a supposed smaller mower at 46" cut, weighs 550 lb. Is the LX46 a more robust model? What could explain the weight discrepancy, these specs are coming right off Cub's website. I know nothing about Cub Cadets model nomenclature or as to whether an SLX vs. LX is the better model or vice versa.

I have a lot of hills and rough terrain on my yard and it finds a way to beat up used mowers in short time. My newest one, bought at the beginning of the season (used cheap Poulan rider) has frame issues where on a tight turn the mower deck contacts the front wheels. It never had that issue at the beginning of the season, but it is what it is-- cheap throwaway junk. It just had a idler pulley on the deck fail and I'm calling it quits on that one. I'm quite tired of babying/nursing used equipment to get me through the season. Need something robust with a warranty, can spend up to $2,500. EFI is a must, so that limits me to various Cub models unless you know of other mfgs that have an EFI option.

I know you want new but have you thought about a used actual small garden tractor. Something like an older john deere. I guarantee you wont have frame issues.

When seeking durability, I wouldn't be considering a Cub Cadet. They're simply not what they used to be.

Why is EFI essential? Hills?

92saturnsl2 - Probably not what you're looking for, but a reputable brand of Zero-Turn (some are close to your price range) would definitely hold up better than many of the new riders on the market, and would reduce your mowing time considerably.

I'm not familiar with those models of Cub Cadets, but I can do some research later if you still need help with your decision.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: joegreen
I know you want new but have you thought about a used actual small garden tractor. Something like an older john deere. I guarantee you wont have frame issues.

Agreed. 2.5K isn't going to buy durability in a new tractor.
You are probably better off with a used GT that was purpose built for rugged duty.

Can zero-turns handle some seriously rough terrain-- like steep hills in some places, and large sinkholes in others (random places). It's beat all my previous mowers to death. I don't think a cheap zero turn (some are just as garbage as the $1,000 lawn tractors) will do as good a job as an expensive lawn tractor for my application. The way I see it, $2,500 (+ tax), if I get five years out of it, I'm spending $500 a year and I'm saving money versus used ones that I have to fix all summer. The Cub Cadet in that series has a 3 year [nearly] unlimited and 5 year chassis warranty. Hard to beat that, these aren't the cheapie models I'm looking at; but I can understand the skepticism with the Cub Cadet brand-- not what they used to be, but then again no brand is, they've all been sold to conglomerates and all get most their parts from China, and if you're lucky, assembled in the US.

And for the EFI-- I won't compromise. Carburetors have no business being on a $2,500 machine in 2018. I told myself a long time ago, the first one to introduce EFI will get my business. It should have happened years ago, all it takes is a small ECU, a couple sensors, pressurized fuel system and a dirt cheap injector. I've moved from Colorado to the midwest and back a couple times, and I had nothing but trouble with my equipment at different altitudes, and I generally don't buy cheap stuff. YMMV, but I do want EFI if I'm sinking a bunch of money into a new mower that I plan on keeping a long time.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Can zero-turns handle some seriously rough terrain-- like steep hills in some places, and large sinkholes in others (random places). It's beat all my previous mowers to death. I don't think a cheap zero turn (some are just as garbage as the $1,000 lawn tractors) will do as good a job as an expensive lawn tractor for my application.

Actually i've mowed hills (and low areas) with my Z-turn that I wouldn't have tried with a rider. Typically a wider stance and a lower center of gravity is a winning combination for hills and slopes.

I have a Big Dog Alpha 42" z-turn that has been nothing but fantastic. Big Dog Mowers are made by the Excell corp. - same company that makes Hustler mowers. 3-year warranty on the engine / 7 year (4-7yrs. parts only) or 300 hours on the mower. That Kawasaki FR651 (21.5 HP) engine that has more power than needed for it's 42" deck. I've beat the heck out of that thing, literally, and never had an issue in the last 4-years and 900-hours.

Ultimately the choice is yours and i'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, just throwing another option your way for consideration.

Last edited:
Buying a new riding lawn mower can be a lengthy process. I looked and compared several brands and types. I looked at the Cub Cadets and I wasn’t convinced of their reliability. I was leaning more towards a true garden tractor. Husqvarna and John Deere were the only two brands of garden tractors I really knew would hold up. The John Deere garden tractors are very pricey. I thought I had it figured out. I was limited to a maximum width of 50”. Back to my search. I ended up with a Toro MX 5000 zero turn. It has a fabricated deck(welded 10ga). It gets it done. Toro makes what they call a zero turn rider, model SW 5000 (stamped deck) and SWX 5000(fabricated deck). Both of these have steering wheels instead of conventional dual handles. I wanted the 54” Husqvarna garden tractor but, I didn’t want to install bigger gates on my fences and a 48” was out of the question. Here is the Husqvarna I was looking at.
https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/riding-lawn-mowers/ts354x/960430243/
Try not to rule out carbureted mowers.
Another option is the Ariens Ikon X 52 with a 23hp Kawasaki engine. 3 year warranty and it will outperform the Cub Cadet.

Last edited:
I’ve always heard to avoid new models for the first few years, and these two models are so new I doubt there’s much real world info out there about them. It is puzzling to see such a large weight difference between these two similar models. JD had an EFI GT 445 with a liquid cooled Kawasaki engine that was bulletproof. Low hour 445’s can still be found for what your budget is........just sayin.
wink.gif

ZT is the absolute best but not in that price range.
I agree with EFI as well. But unless your mowing serious property the cost isn't worth it. I have large parcels of property where a real garden tractor would not hold up at all. And unless 4 wd would be stuck very often.

A quality ZT isn't in that price range.

You really boxed yourself in with a budget of $2,500 and want a new extra sturdy mower for rough terrain. I think it is not realistic. Ed

I have about 1.5 acre total, 1 acre needs mowed and about a third of that is the [censored] terrain-- steep hills and ruts, sinkholes, etc. It seems like the previous owner used the front yard as a mudding pit for their 4x4 truck.

The options you guys have given me are awesome-- I'll weight the pros and cons between the EFI I want, and a more substantial machine. I'd really like to go new this time for warranty peace of mind, but perhaps I went too cheap on the last couple used ones I bought. Appreciate the suggestions, keep them coming.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
It seems like the previous owner used the front yard as a mudding pit for their 4x4 truck.

Maybe you need to rent a Bobcat instead.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I got the tractor you want.

When working with hills remember, ALWAYS GO UP, NEVER DOWN! and Ag Cheveron tractor tred tires! Also you NEED a hydro, I perfer SHAFT DRIVE hydros. No belts to fail when you on a hill, A HILL CAN KILL YOU IN A ROLL OVER. might consider ANTI ROLL OVER DEVICE.

I suggest a used JD. Just make sure you have a robust hydro.

Me personally only had bad experiences with Cub Cadets. I went through 2 for my Mom. They used to a top tier but have fallen quite a bit.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I got the tractor you want.

When working with hills remember, ALWAYS GO UP, NEVER DOWN! and Ag Cheveron tractor tred tires! Also you NEED a hydro, I perfer SHAFT DRIVE hydros. No belts to fail when you on a hill, A HILL CAN KILL YOU IN A ROLL OVER. might consider ANTI ROLL OVER DEVICE.

My last riding mower, a rear engine John Deere flipped end over end on me by going up a steep hill, I don't think the up vs down should be a blanket statement. I've never had a belt fail on me (except wear), but I'll look into shaft drives.

long after the lower price feeling is gone the higher priced mower that you really want will end up being the cheaper overall purchase that gets the job done + lasts longer!!! i have spent more than i have wanted several times but was satisfied in the long run!! not to slight this great forum but a lawn mower-tractor specific forum would prolly give more info IMO!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back