2009 Lexus GS350 AWD - opinions please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to look at a 2009 Lexus GS350 AWD with 48K miles.
Not too hot on the AWD, as we don't have too many rainy days here in Silicon Valley.
Plus I imagine they break expensive...
Supposedly a 1 owner car; asking $14,800 OBO.
Black (not my 1st choice) and heavily optioned; probably $50K new.

If you have any experience with these cars, please chime in.
I appreciate your help.

I would not hesitate to get a RWD GS350. It seems like a really great car. But AWD, eh, I'm not a fan. I would get 2013+ generation

Last edited:
My guess is you are going to be way more likely to find a lot more AWD's than two wheel. But there will be another one along in a week unless you just have to have another car now. I'd pass on it just for the fact its black. Hard to keep clean looking.

I don't know how much the AWD systems had in common, but I had a lot of trouble with the one in my '06 "RAV6".
I didn't think it worked especially well from the start and I needed an ~$3500 repair before 70kmiles. The indy shop that did the work told me the V6 vehicles had more trouble because power was sent to the rear too abruptly when the front wheels started to slip...I could feel this when turning on ice.
A Lexus might have a much different system, but I wouldn't assume that was the case...I know when I looked at the Acura RDX it had the same AWD system as the CR-V of that vintage.

lexus in general is pretty solid mechanically. the engine is used thoughout the line without dramatic changes.

ultimately you need to testdrivr to see if you like the car.

mpg is not going to be awesome, regardless of awd/rwd. tech package is going to be far out of date if that is of any importance to you.

in general with the market favoring suvs, yes you should be able to a regular car at a good price, so you can wait a bit.

Great car, brother has a RWD one and has had zero problems for years. I have utmost faith in the Lex AWD, although it’s not likely needed it wouldn’t sway me away, even through you eill take a small MPG hit and it’ll be a little taller up front. Aside from that, no need to worry

Quote:

Not too hot on the AWD, as we don't have too many rainy days here in Silicon Valley.

?

Generally not a consideration for just rain.

I'm surprised it is AWD in CA. You fine most of them around are awd in Ohio. But look at new/used ones in FL and most are RWD. Which is what I'd be looking at. No way I would want that complexity in an almost 10 year old Lexus. Just look for RWD ones on www.autotrader.com and fill in the correct inputs for the search. Heck even around here I'd want RWD in that application. And just put some good all weather or snow tires on it. Since I won't be using it in the mountains of CO.

Not sure how long you plan to keep it, but I'd hold out for RWD.
Considering it's both black (not you first choice) AND AWD, I'd pass.
I looked at many IS350's (same engine as GS350) before I found on my red, RWD with no Nav. (also hard to find in Canada).

My opinion is that $14,800 for a 2009 is pure foolishness.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
27.gif

That's the going rate.

I looked at a 2010 IS350 RWD with 60k miles before buying my 328i, and the dealer wanted 17,500. They wouldn't budge on the price and it sold a few days later. Insane.

27.gif

Yeah, that's a bit up there. I have a 2008 Mercedes E-350. I think a 2009 Mercedes E-350 would be less money, but it's hard to find cars with mileage that low.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
27.gif

That's the going rate.

I looked at a 2010 IS350 RWD with 60k miles before buying my 328i, and the dealer wanted 17,500. They wouldn't budge on the price and it sold a few days later. Insane.

Agreed
I purchased the IS350 with 51k miles last Dec for 14,000CAD.
The reason for the stronger than Euro car prices, is the perceived reliability.
I'm ok with this, as I hate wasting time and money at repair shops
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back