Lucas oil stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz

I started using this and i really like the way it has made my triumph thunderbird run. But i used only half the quart. Seems like a quart is a lot to put in a bike that holds 4.5 quarts of oil. So the question is, does anyone here use it and if so how much do you typically put in your bike and whats you bike's oil capacity?

No one. It is an oil type from 1905, and it has a viscosity 10 times that of a light 40 weight. Just bump up a grade in an oil choice to get the same results without compromise.

Last edited:
Do you really want to dilute the additive package so carefully formulated by the manufacturer of your oil by 10-20% ?

Well, i didn't post this to get opinions on whether it's good or not, but since almost all of you seem to assume it isn't, i'll just say this. Suggesting it's bad without any experience, especially long term, would be call an "assumption". There are 1000's of reviews on this stuff many of which i read and are almost all positive that are from users who HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH IT and are not just assuming based on their logic, which by the way unless you are a engineer in the field means little to nothing. If all it took was layman's logic and learning what u know by reading posts by others inexperienced with it to determine what will or won't work, there would be no debates and all products on the market would work. Now, excuse me while i find another place that might answer what i asked rather then revel in the joy of raining on someone's parade without actually knowing whether your raindrops are even valid. Good day...

Originally Posted By: daz
Well, i didn't post this to get opinions on whether it's good or not, but since almost all of you seem to assume it isn't, i'll just say this. Suggesting it's bad without any experience, especially long term, would be call an "assumption".

Now, excuse me while i find another place that might answer what i asked rather then revel in the joy of raining on someone's parade without actually knowing whether your raindrops are even valid. Good day...

When you post about a subject on a forum, its open to discussion, otherwise, why bother to post. You say that suggesting its bad without experience is an assumption.

Well there is data here about whats in lucas. So that's experience. Here is a voa thread.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/890132/8

There is little there other than thick base oil without additives.

Time to face the facts. If that bothers you, don't make assumptions that a product is good , just because you pour it in and nothing bad happens. It could also be nothing good is happening either.

Last edited:
It is a straight 80-weight bottle of snot with soap in it. No thanks.

As stated, going up one grade of oil should yield similar results and not compromise the oil.

Why are bright stock products so bleddy expensive?? A dinky bottle of STP costs as much as a quart of synthetic oil. A quart of Lucas costs as much as a 5L jug of synthetic. Are the merchants of such products just blatantly ripping people off?

Well, i didn't post this to get opinions on whether it's good or not, but since almost all of you seem to assume it isn't, i'll just say this. Suggesting it's bad without any experience, especially long term, would be call an "assumption". There are 1000's of reviews on this stuff many of which i read and are almost all positive that are from users who HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH IT and are not just assuming based on their logic, which by the way unless you are a engineer in the field means little to nothing. If all it took was layman's logic and learning what u know by reading posts by others inexperienced with it to determine what will or won't work, there would be no debates and all products on the market would work. Now, excuse me while i find another place that might answer what i asked rather then revel in the joy of raining on someone's parade without actually knowing whether your raindrops are even valid. Good day...

Couple of qualifiers here
* I HAVE used it in the past in my engines (I was an idiot)
* I AM an engineer
* In my turbine engineering days I DID use it on bearings during turbine overhauls.

Firstly - it makes oil thicker...for better or for worse
Secondly - being additiveless in and on itself, it dilutes your anti wear additive, your friction modifying additives, your detergents and dispersents.

So does the thickening offset the subrtractive effect on additives...unlikley.

The increasing thickness:
* will use more fuel - you may or may not be able to measure it.
* will affect your "W" rating, that is the cold weather performance of your oil - you can't and won't measure that.

So rather than being an "additive", the majority of what it does is "subtractive"...
* takes away your engine oil additive concentrations
* takes gas money out of your wallet
* takes away your cold weather performance
* takes away far more money than buying a properly formulated oil of the next grade up.

Now to why I used it on the turbines, it was SOOOO thick that it wouldn't squeeze out between the bearing and the journal (12"-20" diameter, 8-19" long), meaning that we could turn the shafts using the overhead crane without activating the shaft lifting oil system. Being essentially additive free, it didn't contaminate the bearings or the oil tanks.

Forrest sure has made a lot of money selling his thick base oil to sucke.. err customers. It's been tried in Fuel cars, AFAIK no one is actually using it.

You're going to get all sorts of opinions when you post - I wouldn't take it to heart.

My mechanic friend used this stuff back in the late 90s in a civic as a topoff or 80/20. He swore by it and had no issues. And thats all he would do 80/20.

I would sooner try the pure synthetic stabilizer but not in a brand new vehicle especially under warranty.

I'm not one to alter my oils chemistry or mask problems with oil thickeners. Only if the vehicles on its last leg.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
He swore by it and had no issues.

Swore by it...what benefits did he obtain/measure by it ?
Had no issues...Nothing blew up is the new BITOG standard. ASTM, SAE, and the OEMs hold lubricants to a far higher standard than not blowing up.

I started using this and i really like the way it has made my triumph thunderbird run. But i used only half the quart. Seems like a quart is a lot to put in a bike that holds 4.5 quarts of oil. So the question is, does anyone here use it and if so how much do you typically put in your bike and whats you bike's oil capacity?

No I dont use it and never would, as I buy API certified oils and it doesnt make sense to turn it into a non certified oil by adding foreign elements to it.

could have been "all in his head" lol

he had a more aggressive cam and valve train work said when he did a visual inspection for wear he liked what he seen.

probably liked the boost in oil pressure when the vtec hit in... anyway he had the car for several years and it ran just fine.

Exactly, No modern engine oil, conventional, semi, or synthetic need to be "stabilized" and I have yet to see any owner manual or lube order calling for additives to be put into the engine. Millions and millions of vehicles have went well over 200K to 300K and beyond by using only the weight and grade of oil called for by the manufacturer. The Lucas spinner thing is good for kids or bored adults to crank on and kill time while the parts clerks looks up the parts you need, but other than that it is just fancy marketing for a product that a vehicle does not need. Parts stores seem to have no end of magic grass fed organic snake oils for oil, fuel, transmissions and the like and apparently no end of customers who buy the stuff.

You shouldn't put an extra additive in a shared sump bike. Not the best idea for a wet clutch. Doing so will kill the JASO MA or MA2 compliance of whatever motor oil you use. If you use JASO MA/MA2 compliant oil. Which you should in a shared sump ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back