"New" Car with rusted parts normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Memorial day I purchased a "New" 2017 Kia Forte S. It had been used as a loaner/demo vehicle but was sold as new on the paperwork and had approx. 1700 miles on it.

As the car had been sitting for about a year or longer and because I am one of those that likes to remove the oil at approx 1500 miles on a new car to remove metal shavings from the engine breaking in, I replaced the oil today with Conventional oil and I will begin the synthetic change at the first recommended interval of 7,500 miles. While under the car, I found what I believe is the exhaust pipe/flange that connects to the intake manifold and it was all rusted up. When I sent this photo as a text to my salesperson, he inquired with a mechanic who stated "it will happen on all cars just from the moisture it's bare metal."
I was hoping to get the thoughts from this amazing community.
Thanks,
Ron

Normal.

You bought at 1700 miles: and that exhaust manifold looked like that when it had 0 miles.

As you were informed, that's a chunk of bare cast iron. The humidity in the air alone will cause the surface to rust.

As Normal as a fat guy eating cake.
smile.gif

That's just a protective oxidation coating, and is normal. With the kind of heat cycling that part goes through, it is highly unlikely that any kind of rust is going to cause any problems.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
As Normal as a fat guy eating cake.
smile.gif

Hey now, don't make fun of me!! Now let me go check on my rusted cake making spoon! Its bare metal you know!!

I hope you got a "new" discount. If you want to see new rust, just look under a F150 at the dealerships.

HAHAHA. Ok guys, got it. It's normal and I need to let it be LOL.

Thank you for your responses. Now I need to go post if I should use 5W-30 or 5W-20 for my south Texas climate. Car calls for either.
HAHA. Kidding. I plan to use 5W-30 Synthetic
Have a great day everyone.
Ron

When I was a Tech at a Chevy/olds dealer I did some PDIs on new cars. The rust on parts like that is normal. I have seen cars with 3 miles on them with rusty manifolds. Totally normal.

Congrats on the vehicle, how are you liking it so far?

I really love it. There is a rattle coming from the plastic cover that is under the driver side dash that I can't seem to get rid of. I am working with the dealer now to try to rectify it. They drove it for approx 11 miles (without me in the car) and could not duplicate it, but my wife and I both hear it and I know exactly where its coming from now, at the time I was simply guessing.

Other then that, I had a 2008 Nissan Versa that I parted for this guy. The MPG is much nicer and because it has the tech package, which I wanted with a kid on the way, it has the auto braking, keeps me in the lane, rear traffic alerts and whole list of safety features that the Versa did not have lol.
So far so good.
Ron

Perfectly normal. Take a look at the driveshaft on a new Jeep Wrangler if the owner didn't rustproof it.

Totally normal....if you got that car right as it rolled off the assembly line....it would look like that within a few weeks...

Brand new F150 had light surface rust all over the rear axle tubes, especially near the flange. I might hit it with some rustoleum before too long.

Last edited:
When I bought my new 2014 Mustang GT, a lot of the unpainted suspension parts had rust on them. My rear axle was not painted and was covered in rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back