Pollen seems to be exceptionally bad this season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually love driving with the windows down in the spring but I've stopped because of all the pollen being blown inside and settling on the dashboard. I hate taking any sort of medicine but had to ramp up the Claritin again
frown.gif

The other day I was driving and rolled down the window because it was nice out. Sneezed about six times then rolled the window back up.
sick.gif

Super bad this year. My black vehicle looks yellow at times. My wife and some of my kids have been suffering badly with allergies.

Seems about the same to me. There are lots of pine trees around my place, and every year everything is covered in yellow pollen for awhile.

was windy here a few days ago pollen blowing around was like a dust storm of yellowish green coming off the trees

Missouri went from one of the coldest April's on record to the warmest May, so EVERYTHING came out at once. Still deaf in my left ear from a plugged eustachian tube and the engine compartment in my Soul was yellow. Missouri is always horrible for pollen, but this is worse!

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Worst spring in a long time.

I can't ever remember one worse in my 60+ years living in Connecticut. My wife has been badly affected and has stayed mostly in the house. Normally it doesn't affect me. This year I've inhaled some of the stuff while mowing and start hacking away. My immunity has been superb the past 10 yrs so it's odd to be so affected by this pollen scourge.

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
I'm a big time allergy sufferer. Here in Toronto it's been a very good year.

+1. Just eat if you, it's been a good year. I do take antihistamines and do the Neil-med sinus rinse twice a day. That does help.

This year has been particularly bad. Did alot of mowing and trimming today before noon and I'm still sneezing, hacking, and blowing my nose. As long as I don't mow or any yardwork I'm fine, but unfortunately if I do yardwork it's gonna be bad. Normally I'll just get a runny nose for an hour and that's it. Not this year!

Yeah it hit really hard this year because of the extended winter and sudden summer like weather. Trees here are especially lush and I'm thinking because the transition was so intense

Pollen is bugging me this year. It's everywhere and making my head sore.

I have to wonder if this is an effect of the bee population having been down. Trees responding with more pollen because of fewer pollinators ?

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I hate taking any sort of medicine but had to ramp up the Claritin again
frown.gif

Try using a Neti Pot with a good nasal cleansing solution - both easily found on Amazon for pretty cheap. Neti Pot keeps my sinuses more open than Claritin. Can also use Claritan along with nasal cleansing. Can find videos on YouTube how to use a Neti Pot.

I agree with the pollen and bad spring.....the other issue is Poison Ivy...it's everywhere along the road...my little terrier walks through it and I pet him and I've got it....sucks...

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
frown.gif

Try using a Neti Pot with a good nasal cleansing solution - both easily found on Amazon for pretty cheap. Neti Pot keeps my sinuses more open than Claritin. Can also use Claritan along with nasal cleansing. Can find videos on YouTube how to use a Neti Pot.

Second the Neti pot...here's mine, a 3 cup sauce bottle. Stand in the shower, insert in one nostril and squirt until it comes out the other. Give a good snort, and repeat other side...It stops me snoring in allergy season.

recipe is
Boiled water
a few drops of baby shampoo (surfactant)
2 tsp salt
1tsp baking soda (ph)
10 drops pure tea tree oil
8 drops iodine

YMMV, this does not constitute medical advice, just what I do every day or so.

Another good one we've used on the kids is to buy roadside honey, farmed locally, unpasturised....exposes the kids to the pollens around them in a pathway that's normal for the immune system to "understand"

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
frown.gif

Second the Neti pot...here's mine, a 3 cup sauce bottle. Stand in the shower, insert in one nostril and squirt until it comes out the other. Give a good snort, and repeat other side...It stops me snoring in allergy season.

recipe is
Boiled water
a few drops of baby shampoo (surfactant)
2 tsp salt
1tsp baking soda (ph)
10 drops pure tea tree oil
8 drops iodine

YMMV, this does not constitute medical advice, just what I do every day or so.

Another good one we've used on the kids is to buy roadside honey, farmed locally, unpasturised....exposes the kids to the pollens around them in a pathway that's normal for the immune system to "understand"

Third the Neti Pot!! Mine is worth it's weight in gold!! I use it once in the morning and once at night. It's been a lifesaver for me.

I also cover my face with a bandana every time I mow. That's a lifesaver too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back