Dexos 1 benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you still get the fuel mileage benefits of dexos 1 in a older gm vehicle? Maybe like a early 2000s model? Also what about in another brand such as a nissan or a ford?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
How would the oil know what brand of vehicle it is?

Thats what i was also thinking but isnt the specification made around current production GM?

I like to match the color of bottle to the color of the paint on the car. Makes me feel like the oil was made for the car, which naturally means that I get more horsepower and more MPG.

Originally Posted By: JustN89

I like to match the color of bottle to the color of the paint on the car. Makes me feel like the oil was made for the car, which naturally means that I get more horsepower and more MPG.

Yes, and then if you add the brand of oil sticker to your car it will increase the lifespan of the oil. This works especially well for Castrol Magnatec - the intelligent clinging molecules will adhere better to a car that is in love with it.

To offer up a serious response, just run whatever is on the shelves at Walmart and you'll be fine. I have a 2005 Impala (3.4L) and have run both dexos and non-dexos oils with no noticeable differences.

Originally Posted By: csandste
How about SN+ covering most of Dexos 1.2 except for the fees to GM?

This
thumbsup2.gif

I've never noticed a difference in mileage between synthetic and conventional oil. If there is any, it's so minute that it skips my calculations.

No, you won't, assuming you're already running an ILSAC grade in the first place. Switch from a 5w-30 A3/B4 to a 5w-30 dexos1, there will be a fuel economy benefit, albeit outside of our measurement ability in the real world. Switch from an ordinary ILSAC 5w-30 to a 5w-30 dexos1, it's going to be the same thing, essentially.

Dexos 1 certified oils do not necessarily provide fuel economy benefits over any other equivalent but non-Dexos certified oils. Just be sure you are using the correct type and weight of oil specified in the owner's manual and you will be fine. Lighter oils (weight) can provide measurable fuel economy benefits, but there are downsides to using a weight not specified by the manufacturer.

Basically, Dexos is a certification given to a specific brand/weight of oil if it passes multiple tests. The oil producer must pay a fee to GM for Dexos testing and certification -- this fee pays for the testing costs and also includes a fee to allow the oil producer to use the Dexos logo on the packaging. The Dexos tests are pretty tough, but there are many very good oils out there that will pass the Dexos tests but the producer has chosen not to undergo the certification process. Imagine all the fees if an oil producer chose to test and certify every type and grade of oil they make: 0w20, 5w20, 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, 5w40, 10w40, 5w50, 20w50... then add in synthetic and synthetic blends, high mileage varieties, extended performance oils, etc etc. All these types are often made by a single oil company. Obviously Dexos is a cash grab by GM but it's working for them. All other things being equal, I would pay a couple dollars more for a 5qt jug of oil that has passed the Dexos testing process vs an oil that has not been tested but would probably pass the tests. That's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back