Hikari Philips LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like most of BITOG, I'm pretty skeptical about aftermarket LED bulbs. I'm looking to upgrade the 9005 low beams in my Elantra and came across these Hikari bulbs. A couple of folks on the Elantra forums have used these with nice results. The main difference with these bulbs is that they use Philips lumileds, which do a better job focusing light than CREE chips do.

Aftermarket LEDs tend to flood the foreground with light but suck at down road throw. These Hikaris, from what I've read, actually throw the light far. I wish they were 5000K, instead of 6000K, but they will match the LED DRLs well.

Does anybody have experience with these bulbs? For $90, I'm willing to give them a whirl.

I do not have experience with those bulbs. As you seem to already know, the LED issue is application specific. LED's don't mimic a filament, and therefore there are beam pattern differences. Whether that's good or bad depends on the combo.

There are some known good configurations, mostly on vehicle specific forums.

For motorcycles with round headlights, there are some fantastic choices that maximize light output while retaining a superb cutoff on low beam.

I don't have experience with the Philips bulb you mentioned, but I have an LED that puts out a pretty clean line in my fog lights. I was waiting on them to get develop the SL2 (9007) but instead went with a retrofit HID headlight setup. But I do really like the Diode Bulbs in my fog lights. Really usable light that doesn't blind anyone.

If any here fit your application -
https://www.diodedynamics.com/feature/sl1-led-headlight.html

do you have projector beams?

I installed LED bulbs with standard housings and the beam was not focused they were extremely bright which was great but oncoming traffic would constantly flash their high beams at me. Now my father installed LED's in his car with projectors and the appearance looks stock and he doesn't get flashed at. also of course much brighter than the halogens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back