Which gas powered string trimmer do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stihl FS85. I acquired it eight years ago when a lumber yard was going out of business. They were using it to maintain the yards around the building and I asked if I could buy it from them. $20 later and it was mine. I don't really know if they knew what they had or just didn't care at that point to let me have it for $20. It's a beast, it just keeps going and going and going.

Used to use the cheap stuff, but about 18 months ago I bought an Echo trimmer, don't remember the model but it was the more expensive one Home Depot had. Came with a 5 year warranty, which is absolutely unbeatable. I don't expect I'll need it though, this thing is fantastic. Only 2 cycle engine I've ever met that always starts cold on the first pull!

I put a steel blade with chainsaw like teeth on it and it will cut down trees no problem. Been going nuts with 6 acres of overgrown land and really used it hard, has held up very well. It is lighter than other models of the same HP.

Also got a matching Echo chainsaw at the same time, same 5 year warranty...love it.

Sthil FS81 circa 1994. Bought it brand-new @$360. Been to the shop once for an oil leak for loose cylinder head bolts.

I agree, new battery tech is the way to go. I have several Snapper 60V lawn tools including the 60V trimmer.
I'm usually worn out before the battery is down to 50% charge.
One thing from my electric RC airplane flying that I learned, was not to run the batteries down too far before charging them.
I always charge the batteries when they are around 50%, but I don't charge them until the day before I plan to use them. They are best left stored at around 50% charge.
I have three batteries and 2 chargers.

A Makita RBC251 from around 2000. 24.5cc 2-stroke. Works flawlessly. The only thing I've replaced on it is the fuel cap, everything else including the fuel lines is original.

About 5 years ago, I bought one of Stihl's Kombi units (of course, went for the big boy at the time - KM-130R) with the straight shaft trimmer, blower, and hedge trimmer.

It's been flawless.

Generic pic
c898730dc44e49d39ee9f6d66513946a.jpg

been using an echo gt 225 for maybe 10 years now, has been very reliable , just changed the plug and filter once..does all I need it to do..as I get older I now wish I would have bought a straight shaft model but I am well pleased with the echo

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FT92
been using an echo gt 225 for maybe 10 years now, has been very reliable , just changed the plug and filter once..does all I need it to do..as I get older I now wish I would have bought a straight shaft model but I am well pleased with the echo

Why? What is it about straight shaft? What is the advantage?

Originally Posted By: 330indy
Originally Posted By: FT92

Why? What is it about straight shaft? What is the advantage?

Straight shafts have a direct solid driveshaft with a gearbox on the end. Curved shaft use a flexible shaft sort of like a piece of steel cable. The direct drive gives more power and last longer, that's why you will almost always see professionals using them. You do have to grease the gearbox occasionally.

Otherwise it's just a preference of which shape shaft you like better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back