New push mower requiring 10W30??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So 10W30 is not obsolete then??? Just purchased a new Husqvarna pushmower with the Honda GCV 160 series motor. Payed the extra 40 bucks for the Honda motor rather than the Briggs & Stratton motor also offered.
Manual states --use 4 stroke automotive motor oil that meets or exceeds the requirements for API service catagory. SAE detergent 10W30 is recommended for general use.

I would use the Rotella T6 5W30 that you already seem to have on hand per your sig.

I use the Rotella T6 5W40 in all my push mowers.
Perfect marriage in any climate across North America.
In regards to that 15oz bag of 10w30 oil that came with my last new mower, I used it to top-off my wife's Chevy Malibu, a thousand miles prior to a 7K oil change due next.

You did well buying the Honda engine. 10w30 is a good stable oil and sometimes referred to as the goof proof of oils. Enjoy that new machine
banana2.gif
banana2.gif

I got a new Husqvarna as well and got the big dog B&S engine, 7.75 ft-lbs. 10W30 is one of the allowable oils too... but 5W30 syn is recommended for all temps, so I got a bottle of the B&S 5W30 syn from Rural King. It's nearly completely clear with just a slight yellow tint. I cut the yard 4 times on the factory bottle of oil and dumped last night for the 5W30. Mowers are generally not very picky, or stressful, on today's oils.

Yeah lawnmowers are almost always started in warmer temperatures because grass doesn't grow so well in the cold, so the 10w30 is appropriate. Many use 5w30 synthetic in place of the 10w30 recommendation as many of us have partial jugs around.

Never heard of HOP 4 cycle oil that came with the mower? Plan on dumping the HOP 4 cylce oil after 4 or 5 cuts and refilling it with the T6 5W30 that I do have on hand. Hoping to get long life out of this mower overall. Thanks for all the advice also -- "greatly appreciated!!"

Dale

Last edited:
For simplicity I run Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 in all of my lawn equipment.

Honda GCV190 (mower)
Honda GCV160 (power washer)
Tecumseh Snow King 5hp (snowblower)

5w30, 10w30, 10w40, T6 (5w40), or anything in that realm (Syn or Dino) will be fine.
That Honda engine is not picky. Heck, I use 15w40 in all of my OPE engines during the summer months and they do fine, and that's mowing several lawns/properties a day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lawn_Care
5w30, 10w30, 10w40, T6 (5w40), or anything in that realm (Syn or Dino) will be fine. ...

You forgot xW50!

Hey, I use whatever I have enough of leftover from any previous vehicle/motorcycle/boat change.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
M1 EP 5W-30 in all things piston that I own....mowers included.

I have a pressure washer with a GC160 and a Honda harmony mower with a 5.5hp engine.

Both are 15 years old and the mower has had a lot of use and the pressure washer has had its fair share as well.

I have always used 10w30 or 5w30 in them, as called for.

No issues yet!

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
M1 EP 5W-30 in all things piston that I own....mowers included.

One more thing … somebody had joked that M1 AP was introduced to boost sales of M1 EP … well, I grabbed the last jug of 0w20 EP and others were void or near it

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
You better turn those upright, your gonna spill it!

And the additives will settle on the side wall of the containers.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back