Quaker state ultimate durability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I love QSUD. Everything I've used it in runs super smooth and quiet. Excellent oil!

Used QSUD 5w-30/10w-30 with a ULTRA filter on a SC3. The thing ran like a wildabeast.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Puckrobber
... One of those oils that isn't flashy, but, quietly & reliably does it's job.
Interesting. Which oils are flashy and noisy?

laugh.gif
Most oils are just fine, but, some rely on the "more MPG" schtick or "NASCAR approved". That's great and all, but, average people aren't buying oil for better gas mileage or to drive 200 MPH. (BITOG members excepted, of course.
wink.gif
) They just want an oil that will do what's needed of it. Q.S. has done that for many years.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
“. must be why Pennzoil out-sells all other brands by quite a margin. “

Reference?

You're not aware of this?..... OMG! Do your own research, before attacking the #1 selling brand of oil.

Originally Posted by cheesepuffs
Does it use GTL basestocks like Pennzoil?

I doubt it. Shell's GTL production facilities are mostly in the Middle East. Most of Quaker State's products come from fracking sites (dead dinosaurs) in PA (originally), hence the company's name, and, now, TX and OK. Also, none of QS's online material even hints at GTL processing. Of course, except for the cost of production (GTL ain't cheap), it really doesn't matter -- GTL or crude initially, the chemistry has come a LONG way. Moreover, QS's Ultimate stuff has a boatload of Moly (in whatever form it may be).

Originally Posted by Hounds
Originally Posted by cheesepuffs
Does it use GTL basestocks like Pennzoil?

I doubt it. Shell's GTL production facilities are mostly in the Middle East. Most of Quaker State's products come from fracking sites (dead dinosaurs) in PA (originally), hence the company's name, and, now, TX and OK. Also, none of QS's online material even hints at GTL processing. Of course, except for the cost of production (GTL ain't cheap), it really doesn't matter -- GTL or crude initially, the chemistry has come a LONG way. Moreover, QS's Ultimate stuff has a boatload of Moly (in whatever form it may be).

What? Quaker State is no different from any other Shell product, many of which are now blended with the GTL bases from Pearl, regardless of where that blending takes place. Why would Quaker State's historical roots have any bearing on what bases are used to blend it when the parent is a global oil giant?

To address your posit however, this is an excerpt from the MSDS for Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-30, SN GF-5:

[Linked Image]

Yes, that's 70-90% GTL.

That same CAS # appears, alongside other "interchangeable low viscosity base oils" on the MSDS for many other QS lubes including Defy and Enhanced Durability.

The MSDS for the Ultimate Durability 10w-30 also shows 70-90% GTL.

I have recently made the change from running PP to QSUD in all my vehicles....just to see if the extra moly does anything and to see a different color on my shelf. I know either name is the same SOPUS brand and provides as good or better performance than any other brand for my uses.

Boy, was I wrong.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
. . . What? Quaker State is no different from any other Shell product, many of which are now blended with the GTL bases from Pearl, regardless of where that blending takes place. . . .

. . . this is an excerpt from the MSDS for Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w-30, SN GF-5:

[Linked Image]
[/quote

Yes, that's 70-90% GTL.

Again, I was wrong. I read the description "ynthetic base and additives . . ." and "highly refined mineral oil" as a description of the distillation of mineral oil, not a GTL process. Also, and not insignificantly, nowhere does the MSDS use the abbreviation "GTL" or the term "gas-to-liquid," anywhere in the text, which even now seems really strange. Still, that's no excuse for not knowing what I was reading.

That same CAS # appears, alongside other "interchangeable low viscosity base oils" on the MSDS for many other QS lubes including Defy and Enhanced Durability. . . .

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

QSUD is a very nice oil. All SOPUS oils are good. Can't go wrong with any of them. One of the Pennzoil techs basically said that the difference is PP emphasizes cleanliness a bit more than QS. What exactly that means and whether that is true I couldn't tell you.

Originally Posted by Hounds
Boy, was I wrong.

No problem, it happens
wink.gif

The MSDS doesn't state "GTL" but rather "Fischer-Tropsch", which is the process used at Pearl. Shell has, per some information Gokhan presented some time back, produced GTL base oils in the past, but not using the FT method (so Pearl is not Shell's first GTL pursuit), but the bases were not as high quality. These were Shell's XHVI base oils:

Originally Posted by SK
Gas-to-liquids conversion technologies are providing another options to PAO or VHVI based lubricants. Shell commercialized its process in 1993 and is producing a variety of products including a high quality lube base oil feed (paraffinic wax) from natural gas. Shell uses this waxy feed to produce a VHVI base oil at refineries in Yokkaichi, Japan and Petit Couronne, France. These base oils are called XHVI (Extra High Viscosity Index) base oil because of their inherent viscosity index being above 140. They use this XHVI base oil in high quality lubricants and market as synthetic oils. South Africa's SASOL also has a gas-to-liquids technology for producing fuels and lube base oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back