I just got a 2013 Frontier V6 today - any issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a used Frontier SV today (50K miles) and have been looking forward to posting it on BITOG for thoughts/ recommendations. I think these are fairly solid vehicles. The timing chain and cross contamination issues I believe were ceased in 2010.

If you guys have experience with these or recommendations I would be forever grateful.

AFAIK the only issue is fuel consumption:)

Old tried and true design, guy who cuts my hair has one around that age with the v6, boringly reliable for him

Good truck as mentioned fuel consumption and if it’s anything like Nissan Altima’s they love oil changes

Carnival Cruise lines just called, they want their turning radius back!

Just kidding. Nice truck and I seriously considered the Frontier before I bought my Taco. Good luck.

Nice! What cab and drivetrain?

FIL bought a used 2017 SV crew cab 4x4 a few months back. Nice truck. Awesome towing capacity for a "small" truck @ ~6100lbs given the 4.10 gears or whatever they have. The engine bay is tight, but like said, you don't hear of many issues with the VQ40 and 5spd auto combo. Easy to drain/fill all fluids/lubes on them too.

Last edited:
I like mine a lot. Gas mileage isn’t good but I expected that. I don’t think they have any serious issues to be concerned with. It is sometimes criticized for being outdated but I like that it has a proven power train. The cross contamination and timing chain issues were resolved years ago as far as I know. I originally wanted the Tacoma but after driving it and the Frontier I liked the Frontier better. The 4.0 in the Tacoma didn’t seem as responsive as the 4.0 in the Frontier. That being said, both are a solid choice.

Keep an eye on the oil level.
You should be aware of this: www.motor.com
FWIW A lot of Nissan guys I know swear by the M1 0w40 for their VQ's.
grin.gif

Poor fuel consumption, reliability more like the industry average for Japanese vehicles, rather than Nissan's other vehicles (which are below average). Decent vehicle, assuming you like it otherwise.

It's a great choice. Like everyone is saying the turning radius stinks and it sucks fuel.

Other than that, it's a very reliable truck. Every vehicle has it's bad/weak points, this one is no different.

Originally Posted By: geekster
It's a great choice. Like everyone is saying the turning radius stinks and it sucks fuel.

Other than that, it's a very reliable truck. Every vehicle has it's bad/weak points, this one is no different.

Probably turns better than the most common car in this town … F350 4WD crew cab long bed …
(And a foot of cage on the front).
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Probably turns better than the most common car in this town … F350 4WD crew cab long bed …
wink.gif

I...I might take that bet. It truly is bad haha.

Good choice on the Frontier. I thought I wanted an F150 when I was looking for a truck, but the price, features, and lack of gimmicky tech won me over.

For oil filters I run the Fram FPS (I believe 7317). I found a set of 6 on ebay for $30. Then I just run Mobil 1 5w30. Once I hit 20k miles this year I'll get a UOA. Alot of people talk about "startup rattle" with the 4.0. Whatever it is, either my engine doesn't do it or the Fram filter helps.

wink.gif

I've driven both and can say the F350 CC will turn tighter than the Frontier
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Delta

wink.gif

I've driven both and can say the F350 CC will turn tighter than the Frontier
lol.gif

I know for a fact our work F250 turns tighter than my Frontier. It's really that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back