Got a Stihl MS270C 20" on permanent loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short version: I've been cutting wood for a female friend of mine for about 5 years; I've been very lucky in acquiring free fallen wood from coworkers, a local shop owner, neighbors, etc. I've been using a CS400 18"

Recently the power company went on a massive tree trimming exercise to reduce storm damage and decided to drop a 3.5' diameter ash tree in the lot next to her home; the home owner indicated we could have @ the remnants. The limbs all were removed by the tree trimmers, but they left a 12' x 3.5' trunk on the front lawn and several other 18" logs. Not anything I want to use a 18" saw on. I"m figuring "tons" of wood.

Mentioned this job to a lifelong friend who lives 2 hours away and he said i could have his MS270C 20" on a permanent loan; his residential situation has changed and he has little use for it; the stipulation is I would have to loan it back should he needed it. He dropped it off last Wednesday, and I quickly put it to use on Sunday.

I don't have anything to compare it to except my Echo, but it does have a rapid chain tensioner which is unbelievably convenient and easy to use. I was using a yellow link chain (which i had to learn about) and it seemed to do very well. I am cutting 16" lengths (can't cut all the way thru) and then splitting the pieces into 1/8 or 1/5s using wedges from the ends; quite some exercise.

The only annoyance of epic proportion is the caps for chain oil and gas. For some reason a regular twist cap was too easy and there is a tab release and detent doo hickey which makes filling gas and bar oil a giant chore and prone to error What problem were they trying to solve here? Anyone else have any insight into that?

Echo gas and oil = 15 seconds, Echo bar or chain = 10 minutes
Stihl gas and oil = 10 minutes; Shihl bar or chain 15 seconds.

Anyone have one of these and are there any shortcomings? I seem to read they occasionally have coil issues?

Thanks
-T

I don't think anyone understands the oil and gas caps.

Horrible design.

I have both saws. Both are roughly 40-45 cc displacement. The Stihl caps are hated worldwide. I have over 30 saws and in my humble opinion you are underpowered for the size of that trunk. You should be using a 60-70cc to pull a 20-24" chain without stressing the saw. Both the Echo and Stihl are homeowner saws and not meant for wood that size. You are obviously getting thru it but lots of work.

A few years ago (maybe 5+??), those caps had a recall because they distorted from petroleum products (duh). They had a free replacement program if you took them to a dealer. Maybe yours are some of the old ones: https://www.stihlusa.com/information/recalls/toolless-fuel-cap/ The recall affected chainsaws also, even though my link doesn't show them listed.

Nothing more annoying to fuel/oil up your saw and then as you are are carrying it back to the tree, the oil dumps out all over your chaps. Grrrrrrrr.

Using an under powered saw on oversize logs, I would mix with a lower ratio. And keep the chain sharp! About 25 yrs ago, I limited my daily 041 Farmboss usage to a single tank. For my sake, not the saw's
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I had a similar size log and it was a workout for my 372xp. I have a 36" bar for it and with full skip it cut OK. I did all my 36" cuts and then switched back to my 20" bar to finish.
Each cut took a while but then the round is like 300-400lbs. Ash is pretty easy to split too with an axe, so I just split in the woods as I flopped over a round. You'll need wedges to hold the cuts open and watch yourself as you finish the cuts as they can roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back