Hello everyone- first post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been lurking for a couple of years and decided I should actiallly post something- first; thank you all for the valuable info!

Now, to take off running:

Castrol Gtx vs Valvoline WB vs Pennzoil YB vs Mobil 5000

Which, why?

Can’t seem to find or interpret UOA’s and all threads I have found in the topic are 5+ years old.

How about a fresh one?
smile.gif

Thanks! Yes- I forgot Shell! Throw that in the mix. Just wondering if there is any discernible difference and clear advantage of one or the other, with the exception of Pennzoil (My personal subscription to a long-standing bias against it for sludge problems- feel free to educate me) I use all of these, but I’m curious if any are actually superior to the others .

I also use Max Life but I’ve recently come across information that is that suggests there may be a reason not to use it in low mileage cars, I also use Max Life but I’ve recently come across information that is that suggests there may be a reason not to use it in low mileage cars As the seal sweeller could accelerate wear on seals that are in good condition.

My first experience with Max life when it first came out was on my 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon which at the time both leaked and burned oil. Within one OCI both stopped, and I was sold forever on Max Life.

However, I don’t want to dump unnecessary additives into a healthy engine, When it could hasten problems I’m trying to avoid. Based on that new info, I’m inclined to go back to white bottle on a couple of my low mile good running cars. I have always had a personal preference for Valvoline, but I’m equally open to concrete information to the concrete contrary.

Over the years and I’ve seen opinions change on Mobil 1, Valvoline white bottle, Purolator filters etc. which is why I decided to start a new thread.

Over the years I’ve seen opinions change on mobile one, Valvoline white bottle, Purolator filters etc. which is why I decided to start the new thread.

I’d really like some up-to-date info from people who are smarter than I am
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Beatlebob32
Thanks! Yes- I forgot Shell! Throw that in the mix. Just wondering if there is any discernible difference and clear advantage of one or the other, with the exception of Pennzoil (My personal subscription to a long-standing bias against it for sludge problems- feel free to educate me) I use all of these, but I’m curious if any are actually superior to the others .

I also use Max Life but I’ve recently come across information that is that suggests there may be a reason not to use it in low mileage cars, I also use Max Life but I’ve recently come across information that is that suggests there may be a reason not to use it in low mileage cars As the seal sweeller could accelerate wear on seals that are in good condition.

My first experience with Max life when it first came out was on my 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon which at the time both leaked and burned oil. Within one OCI both stopped, and I was sold forever on Max Life.

However, I don’t want to dump unnecessary additives into a healthy engine, When it could hasten problems I’m trying to avoid. Based on that new info, I’m inclined to go back to white bottle on a couple of my low mile good running cars. I have always had a personal preference for Valvoline, but I’m equally open to concrete information to the concrete contrary.

Over the years and I’ve seen opinions change on mobile lawn, Valvoline white bottle, Purolator filters etc. which is why I decided to start a new thread.

Over the years I’ve seen opinions change on mobile one, Valvoline white bottle, Purolator filters etc. which is why I decided to start the new thread.

I’d really like some up-to-date info from people who are smarter than I am
smile.gif

Welcome … no shortage of opinions here … trick is to figure out which ones to follow. When a guy recently expressed interest in joining … I gave him less than a dozen who are both knowledgeable and are objective thinkers … hard to find both here and now one from the top part of the list has gone missing … I also said to find value in some of the “been there, done that” gear heads … and on the downside look for patterns of the same old tired bias from a few … just like the news those will draw undeserved attention and mixed value threads …
As for your question … all good 5k lubes in basic engines …

Originally Posted By: Beatlebob32

Type in Google, "pennzoil sludge problem myths" and you'll see for yourself that it was started years ago but there is no merit to it whatsoever.
I am big Pennzoil fan and have used it exclusively in my vehicles for years. It gets excellent UOA's and does an excellent job keeping engines clean.

I’m a big fan of Dino oil and if they made 0w20 in Dino I’d use it.

I believe in 6 month 5-7500k oil changes and Dino always worked just fine for me.

I’ve never heard of anyone outperforming conventional oil and I’ve been around mechanics my entire life.

Welcome.

There is no best. All those oils will serve you well. Btw, Pennzoil is Shell.

Buy whichever is cheaper or on sale / rebate.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata

I’ve never heard of anyone outperforming conventional oil and I’ve been around mechanics my entire life.

Plenty of discussion here at BITOG, on how synthetic out-perform conventional in length, engine cleanliness, extreme temps and flow.

I never made the claim that conventional outperforms synthetic and i know that it doesn't.

19.gif
I'm just making a comment that following 6 month or 5-7500k OCI's that we are not going to outperform the intended use of the conventional. Unless you running indy or daytona 500.
32.gif

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
I never made the claim that conventional outperforms synthetic and i know that it doesn't.

19.gif
I'm just making a comment that following 6 month or 5-7500k OCI's that we are not going to outperform the intended use of the conventional. Unless you running indy or daytona 500.
32.gif

“I’ve never heard of anyone outperforming conventional oil and I’ve been around mechanics my entire life.”

A very fine line here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back