2016 Toyota 2GR-FKS Tacoma Oil Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm coming from the world of pushrod OHV 5w30 engines and am trying to figure out a good oil for a 2016 Toyota Tacoma with the 2GR-FKS engine that has variable valve timing and all kinds of goodies. I'm not sure what kind of additive packs in what oils would be good for all the things going on inside this engine. It's not driven hard, mostly highway miles but with some occasional towing and camping (light 4x4, gravel roads). Climate is in north Idaho where it can get triple-digits and can test cooling systems but there's also a LOT of sub-freezing weather.

My thoughts were Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0w-20 and an OEM filter. I don't mind changing the oil more frequently if it needs it, my primary concern is longevity in the engine. I don't care about getting dirty or the cost. Thanks in advance.

Any ilsac oil will do, preferably synthetic. I am changing my factory fill in my Tacoma to Castrol magnatec 5w30 next week.
But my dusty rough road and high speed driving ratio is pretty high.
I run 5k intervals because my truck gets dirty on a daily basis.

Last edited:
I work and use my truck in the West’s Texas Oilfield (it is paying its own way)
it’s already been 111 last week, regular 105-108 in the summer.
My ac and cooling system has not been overwhelmed, but I Ike having a synthetic. 30wt itheereneein case it is.

How are you liking that truck? I love mine, all but the engine...

What feels like hesitation and stumbling when at +50% throttle, under load from ~2k - 2.9k RPMs takes half the joy out of it. Must be from all the emissions and CAFE tuning. Honestly, the power-band on my VW TDI felt better and was more useable. Think I'm going to take mine back to the dealer before the B2B warranty runs out...

Anyway, See attached link. Results from two back to back TGMO reports. I changed to Motul Eco-Lite 0w-20 for this go around. I'll post back when after 7 or 8k.

28k oc TGMO > Motul

Last edited:
Flip a coin, both oils are excellent choices! I tend to switch back between M1 and Pennzoil in my Tacoma and it doesn't notice the difference.

Originally Posted By: Speedbird001
How are you liking that truck? I love mine, all but the engine...

What feels like hesitation and stumbling when at +50% throttle, under load from ~2k - 2.9k RPMs takes half the joy out of it. Must be from all the emissions and CAFE tuning. Honestly, the power-band on my VW TDI felt better and was more useable. Think I'm going to take mine back to the dealer before the B2B warranty runs out...

Anyway, See attached link. Results from two back to back TGMO reports. I changed to Motul Eco-Lite 0w-20 for this go around. I'll post back when after 7 or 8k.

28k oc TGMO > Motul

P

I love the truck. It’s my 4th Tacoma, my first with this engine and I like it. I t runs better than all the previous generations..
I use mine as a work truck going to oil and gas production locations and then I commute with it. I have the trd or package and the technology and all weather package. I really like the cruise sonar pacing on two lane roads.
I am getting the first 5 k service after only two months of ownership soon. It was between this or a 4Runner for this duty and the Tacoma is a little more economic and has the technology package which with all the miles I find safer.

The best advice for the tuning behavior I have with this truck is to not take it easy with the throttle, get into it, it reponds quick and smooths out.That doesn’t really effect the mileage at all. It gets the best mileage from 45-62 mph. Once up to speed it cruises along effortlessly.
So more pedal tip in than you are used to, don’t be shy and it will make you happier. It likes sixthgeeaeee anda1100-1800rmpm or 3kplus. The twos are just a path those. Sweet spots..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back