Using Mixed 2 Cycle Oil in Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just left a lawnmower shop that has been around for 20 years. The owner told me he uses mixed 2 cycle oil in ALL his equipment. His 4 cycle mowers as well. I was shocked but he said if you mix it at 50:1 you will have no problems and it will actually lubricate the cylinder and will absolutely not foul the plugs. IS this guy correct? He said it saves the hassle of different tanks of fuel and eliminates any error when filling up any of the tanks. Plus he said the 2 cycle oil he uses already has Stabil in it so that eliminates that separate addition of another ingredient.

Is he nuts?

I don’t do it religiously, just when it’s convenient. Plus, and this is a big one around here, if you keep only one can of gasoline around and it’s pre-mixed, it completely eliminates the chance that wife, neighbors, kids, will pour unmixed gasoline into a two stroke engine.

Originally Posted By: Langanobob
I don’t do it religiously, just when it’s convenient. Plus, and this is a big one around here, if you keep only one can of gasoline around and it’s pre-mixed, it completely eliminates the chance that wife, neighbors, kids, will pour unmixed gasoline into a two stroke engine.

Good idea, if you have old outboard or something that has a high proportion of oil it might not prevent all the damage. If you used a good quality syn it might be lubricious enough.

I've noticed it not really making a difference, it does not seem to smoke excessively like you would think.

The "Project Farm" guy on Youtube already did this. If I recall, there was carbon buildup in the cylinder head of the test engine. That said, I have used Amsoil Sabre mixed 50 to 1 in a lawn mower with no problems or plug fouling.

Originally Posted By: Oldtom
The "Project Farm" guy on Youtube already did this. If I recall, there was carbon buildup in the cylinder head of the test engine. That said, I have used Amsoil Sabre mixed 50 to 1 in a lawn mower with no problems or plug fouling.

Can't have done. Not nearly stupid enough.

I used a bunch of old 32:1 in a "curb find" mower that is used to mow brush, small sticks, forest floors etc. The throttle is generously wired open and it starts on the first pull most of the time.

Smoked quite a bit, but kept the mosquitoes down. Not sure if the plug fouled or not, but the mower is still used every month or so and this was 2 years ago.

I feel somewhat bad for it, but it was doomed from the day it was built. Has some funky deck that technically needs a bagger. I drilled some holes in the deck and wired/ zip tied a chute to the side so as a result, it's never mowed grass right.

There's no way oil can get to the upper cylinder above the rings for 4 cycle engines so I use 1 oz 2 cycle synthetic oil per gallon of gas. It provides some lubrication and no smoke.

Originally Posted By: JLawrence08648
There's no way oil can get to the upper cylinder above the rings for 4 cycle engines so I use 1 oz 2 cycle synthetic oil per gallon of gas. It provides some lubrication and no smoke.

What exactly in the upper cylinder is not being lubricated that needs it?

How did I make it all the miles I’ve done without that added lubrication?

I use whatever I have left in my snowblower. I don’t think I want to run a mix other than that. Only thing I add is Stabil. By the way, last time I bought Stabil I noticed a change on the label. Used to say use half a dose in season meaning an ounce for every 5 gallons. I think they want to sell u Stabil Performance because that’s the dose they recommend for that product. Anyone notice?

I don't know about a full 50:1 mix but I make sure to use 2 cycle oil in everything from my Jeep to a generator. The Jeep gets a pretty healthy dose, and small engines get more, but I don't often measure it. Never noticed any problems or excess carbon buildup or even much smoke. I remove the head on my small engines to clean out the carbon rather frequently, there is never any huge amount.

If you use a lot of oil you should richen up the carb just a bit (if you can) because that oil is displacing gasoline, and results in your engine running slightly lean.

I don't do it regularly, but that is how I dispose of old premix that I don't want to run through my two strokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back