which cars leak the most oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old Volkswagen Beatles.......by a mile! I’ve owned three Maximas, 1981, 1986, and 1992. None leaked oil. The 1981 would talk to you!

Mine when I pinched the oil thermostat gasket. It made a fountain when first started up. Oil pressure warning never lit - glad my dad was spotting to tell me shut it down before I made any more of a puddle.

Ones with bad gaskets.........

Useless post of the day................

I've had only American cars (many GMs, a few Fords, and one Dodge) and NONE of them (despite most of them being old with high mileage) were really leakers. Now my mom's 95 Honda Accord, that one leaks from a bunch of places.

The BEST I’ve even seen was a 2003(?) Chevrolet Cavalier with the EcoTec that I used to maintain. Incredibly clean at 200,000+ miles.

Jeep 4.0s have always been known as major leakers.

Friend of mine had a Jeep 4.0 that leaked out of:
- Head Gasket (right side, oil)
- Rear Main seal (very bad leak - 7 quarts in 140 miles)
- Timing Cover
- Oil Pressure Sensor
- Oil Pan gasket.

Mine started hemorrhaging out of the oil pan gasket. I had the thing 60 or 70K miles and never touched it. 3 of the bolts backed out. Turns out someone else was in the engine at some point and changed out the rear main seal (incorrectly) and never tightened the 3 bolts under the exhaust manifold. It just took a while before it started leaking bad.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Mercedes.
the old 616/617 diesels do seem to weep but run absolutely forever. They have such large sumps and seems to just drip a little it’s often not a problem, and many are pushing 40yrs d
Too
smile.gif

Still, that PITCH BLACK diesel oil does seem to make it appear worse, and it’s impossible to getoff cement

The ones I've seen commonly leak from are those with rubber stamped metal gaskets regardless of make. The ones that seem to hold well are sealed using OEM RTV.

My BMW essentially never stops leaking oil, I'm on a rotation schedule for gasket replacement. But like painting a bridge, when you get to the end it's time to start over again.

Old ones.

When it was ~20 years old, my brother said their '78 Impala leaked everything a car could leak.

Somewhere beyond 500k miles, I thought my Mazda was leaking from the main seal near the crank pulley. I bought a seal they recommended at the NAPA store and replaced the old one. The problem seemed to be better at first, but then got much worse than before. When I showed the seal from NAPA to the counter guy at another parts store, he pointed out that it was a seal designed for grease, not oil, and just happened to have the right dimensions. No more leak after I installed the proper seal.

Last edited:
In my family's experience, FCA vehicles of the last 6 years.

2012 Jeep Patriot 2.0L
Leaking oil pan gasket
Leaking timing chain cover
Leaking CV boot

2014 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.6L
Leaking oil pan gasket
Leaking transmission pan gasket

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L
Leaking radiator
Leaking radiator hose (opposite end)
Leaking rack and pinion

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
In my family's experience, FCA vehicles of the last 6 years.

2012 Jeep Patriot 2.0L
Leaking oil pan gasket
Leaking CV boot

2014 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.6L
Leaking oil pan gasket
Leaking transmission pan gasket

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L
Leaking radiator
Leaking radiator hose (opposite end)
Leaking rack and pinion

And they still keep buying FCA vehicles??

Originally Posted By: JEL01
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Mercedes.
the old 616/617 diesels do seem to weep but run absolutely forever.

mine does leak. Saturn s-series are also good for them, using RTV everywhere and that styrofoam aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back