2014 Grand Cherokee differential fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got ridiculously expensive quotes from various Jeep dealers in my area for "Mopar Gear and Axle Lubricant 75W-85". As such, I'm now looking at going with a 3rd party fluid brand.

The front and rear diffs on my Jeep call for Synthetic GL-5 75W-85. My Jeep doesn't have a LSD. What do you guys recommend fluid wise? I'm in Canada by the way if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Any fully synthetic diff fluid from the major manufacturers should be fine. HOWEVER... most off the shelf (RP, Mobil1, Valvoline etc) gear oils have some percentage of friction modifier. Redline sells a fully synthetic gear oil that does NOT have any FM in it. Make sure you read the owners manual and see if you need any FM and which type to use, there is a "F" and a "G". You should be able to find most of these in Canada or possibly order them thru Amazon.

I would use any synthetic 75W90 gear oil. Mobil 1, Red Line, Valvoline, etc. Going up to 75W90 instead of 75W85 will not hurt a thing. Your differential's don't require friction modifiers but most synthetic gear oil have that in them, again won't hurt a thing.

Last edited:
I owned a 2012 Summit with the ELSD and V8. Currently I own a 2016 Summit with the Ecodiesel and the ELSD.

I used Mobil1 75w-90 in both vehicles and had no problems at all. Works with non ELSD and ELSD axles just fine.

ATF4 in the Transfer Case.

Very simple and inexpensive to maintain these capable rigs.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice! I can easily get my hands on either of the following

Valvoline SynPower Full Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90
Castrol Syntec Full Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90

Leaning towards the Valvoline...thoughts?

I put Valvoline 75W90 in my Jeep Sahara rear end. It has the factory posi clutch type differential with 3.73 gears, quiet as a church mouse.

Originally Posted By: RageOfFury

I've no doubt this Valvoline 75W90 of KV@40*C 100 cSt is a very robust oil.
However, I'm personally more inclined to Castrol Syntec 75W90 of KV@40*C of 111 cSt never mind it's lower KV@100*C of 15.0 cSt, typically in a differential application.
You won't go wrong with either though, in this desirable 'upgrade'.

Last edited:
Check a local distributor for PetroCan or Mobil. I found the gear oil prices off the shelf at Cambodian Tire or Walmart were atrocious. north of 20$ a quart. If you have to buy at CC, check their Motomaster synthetic gear oils as they were around the 14$ a liter mark with taxes on sale. Their oils are either Shell or Citgo, which are top notch.

Out in the prairies I went to the local Co-op and got their full synthetic (group 4) 75w90 for about 8$ a liter all in for a 5 liter jug. I paid around the 9$ a liter all in for their 80w140 in a 20 liter pail. Canadian made and takes a beating.

Don't get ripped off!!

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: RageOfFury

I've no doubt this Valvoline 75W90 of KV@40*C 100 cSt is a very robust oil.
However, I'm personally more inclined to Castrol Syntec 75W90 of KV@40*C of 111 cSt never mind it's lower KV@100*C of 15.0 cSt, typically in a differential application.
You won't go wrong with either though, in this desirable 'upgrade'.

I can also get Motomaster Full Synthetic 75W-90 (which I believe is made by Shell??). It has the following specs: Viscosity at 40°C = 126 cSt, Viscosity at 100°C = 16.7 cSt, Pour Point = -54°C (-65°F). Is that better or worse than Valvoline and Castrol?

Quote:
I can also get Motomaster Full Synthetic 75W-90 (which I believe is made by Shell??). It has the following specs: Viscosity at 40°C = 126 cSt, Viscosity at 100°C = 16.7 cSt, Pour Point = -54°C (-65°F). Is that better or worse than Valvoline and Castrol?

That Motomaster KV@40*C of 126 cSt provides even thicker MOFT for stronger components protection, in relation to Valvo/Castrol above.
Your Cherookee differential would love it.
200,000-300,000 km down the road when some 75W85 user gets gear whines,this differential would still be happy then.

Last edited:
I'd use the AMSOIL gear lube recommended for the application personally. That's what I intend on running in mine.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I'd use the AMSOIL gear lube recommended for the application personally. That's what I intend on running in mine.

I am interested in Amsoil, but not sure where in Ottawa I'd get some and how much per L.

Honestly leaning towards picking up some Castrol Syntec 75W-90 and calling it a day.

Don't waste your money on plain vanila gear fluids. Stick with Amsoil SVG 75W90 and forget it for 100K miles.
Order it online jegs and get it shipped to Canada and trust me Amsoil will serve you very well.

Best price I could find for Amsoil was 15+ a quart for the plain jane 75w90, now that was a few years back. That's a rip off. Is the Amsoil any better than any other gear oil? Maybe... For his application I doubt it. Other thing is in Canada, everything is more expensive, shipping is a big one. Not worth the hassle of running all over the countryside to try and save a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back