Gas additives ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a used Husqvarna ride on.

Can/should I add any gas additives like Techron/Gumout? Just curious with oil/gas additives.

I put a splash of berrymans b12 chemtool in the rideon when it’s been sitting for a while. I don’t go crazy with it, maybe an ounce. I figure it helps clean up the carb if there is any gum or varnish from the mower sitting. No bad effects.

If it doesn't have a gas shutoff valve, install one. That is how I kept my 15 year old Lawn-Boy 2-stroke mower without having carb issues.
I shut the valve off and run the mower until it runs out of gas. Some people say its bad on the engine, but chainsaws run out of gas all the time with no harm.

I pour A few ounces of chevron/techron in my gas can each season. Now I did a QT. Of engineered fuel to my can.

Not trying to start a war, but I add MMO to my gas at 2-oz. per 5 gallonz.
With the Ethanol in today's gasoline, a little lubrication isn't going to hurt anything.

Last edited:
I agree with ya
10.gif

I put a splash of Sea Foam in my mower and most everything else I own. I haven't had carb problems or carbs that have needed cleaning in years using it occasionally.

You sure can do it, nothing wrong with this. Being a used mower and not knowing how it was cared for, I'd run some cleaner too.

My OPE is a mix of old and new stuff. I keep a single 5 gallons gas can for all this (except of course 2 strokes), this fuel receives MMO treatment.

As for the oil, I never really tried any additives in there. I once added MMO to my oldest car's oil, but in much smaller dose than recommended so it may not have done anything.

To be contrary... I have a 18 year-old garden tractor and an 18 year-old snow thrower, a 26 year-old mower, a 10 year-old chain saw and a 12 year-old string trimmer. I live in an EPA non-attainment area and as such we have mandated RFG (mostly through EtOH) for over 20 years. I do not use any additives to my gasoline and I am not always careful to drain out the fuel after the summer (never in the lawn mower). Yet they all keep working fine, the only fuel related maintenance I've done is a new bowl gasket and hose on the lawn mower. If fuel additives are beneficial (or the mania over E10 is true) why don't I have all sorts of problems?

I always add just a little MMO or sometimes Amsoil Sabre 2 stroke oil to my fuel can. Never had any fuel related issues as long as I can remember. I mow with a 25 year old John Deere 14SB that stills fires up on the first or second pull.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: AnthemBassMan
I mow with a 25 year old John Deere 14SB that stills fires up on the first or second pull.

L8R,
Matt

That 14SB is a tank! And that Kawasaki engine is a beast!
Only problem with that model is that it also weighs as much as a tank. lol

Originally Posted By: Lawn_Care
Originally Posted By: AnthemBassMan
I mow with a 25 year old John Deere 14SB that stills fires up on the first or second pull.

L8R,
Matt

That 14SB is a tank! And that Kawasaki engine is a beast!
Only problem with that model is that it also weighs as much as a tank. lol

Tell me about it! This thing is well over 100lbs dry. That’s why I’m looking at getting something a LOT lighter. A guy I know just gave me a non running Lawn Boy. Not sure of the model because the tag is missing, but he said it was from the early/mid 70s.

L8R,
Matt

Everytime I refuel, I free pour a little Marvel Mystery Oil. Just a little. Everything runs GREAT! Fast starts. $4.00 at Wally World. Chainsaws, weed whackers, garden tractor. It's good stuff and the price is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back