Fram ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would the really low micron rating of the fram ultra not hurt oil flow? Any trouble with these clogging before 10k?

Originally Posted By: Spitter
Would the really low micron rating of the fram ultra not hurt oil flow? Any trouble with these clogging before 10k?

No and no.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
I have seen it mentioned that the Ultra can cause start up rattle, but that seems to be application specific.

What about the Fram Racing version of the Ultra?

FWIW: I've used the FRAM Ultra in my car applications (two different cars) for a good while now. No start-up rattles.

I get start up rattle in my'01 Sport Trac with the Fram Ultra, but with the Mobil 1 filter
I get almost no rattle.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

No and no.

/thread

Agree its app specific. It makes my 6.0 lq9 Escalade tick and slap at startup more noticeably than lesser efficient filters. So I don't use the Ultra anymore on that engine. Use the TG.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Agree its app specific. It makes my 6.0 lq9 Escalade tick and slap at startup more noticeably than lesser efficient filters. So I don't use the Ultra anymore on that engine. Use the TG.

Huh? Aren’t they both 99% filters?

The XG probably outflows the TG...

The old internet falsehood that high efficiency means high delta-p and flow restriction will never die. It's full synthetic media that allows High flow, high efficient and high holding capacity.

Start up rattle is typically a leaking ADBV ... not "flow restriction" of the filter.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Yep, that's why start up rattle isn't caused by "flow restriction" ... but a bad ADBV instead.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Yep, that's why start up rattle isn't caused by "flow restriction" ... but a bad ADBV instead.

thumbsup2.gif

I was getting a grind on P66 Honda OEM oil 0w-20 and stock A02 filter. I changed to Idemitsu 0w-20 and Fram Tough guard and I yielded a 99.9% improvement. Needles to say and "meanwhile", I get a case of free filters from FRAM and I got an ultra on deck. I will make sure the tech is vigilant about any start-up noise during oil install.

Originally Posted By: nike360baller
I was getting a grind on P66 Honda OEM oil 0w-20 and stock A02 filter. I changed to Idemitsu 0w-20 and Fram Tough guard and I yielded a 99.9% improvement. Needles to say and "meanwhile", I get a case of free filters from FRAM and I got an ultra on deck. I will make sure the tech is vigilant about any start-up noise during oil install.

Sure.

Keep posting nonsense Mike, or whatever your name of the month is. How many have you gotten banned so far?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

thumbsup2.gif

I thought so too. Why I stubbornly went back to the Ultra 3 different times to make sure it wasn't just a one-off issue. Same results. More noise at startup.. lifter ticks, some slap, etc. Last time I removed the Ultra the following day to check the ADBV. Had at least 1/2 qt before the filter after sitting overnight. So I'm done with the Ultra on this engine.

Also noted this is a recent problem. Used the Ultra for a couple years on this engine. Never noticed anything before.

I've had the same Ultra issues LeakySeals. Maybe you haven't noticed it yet, but check to see iof that engine is running smoother at idle, without that Ultra on. Mine does and witnessing that shocked me. Never would have thunk a standing idle could get affected by a very highly efficient oil filter. Could be why Fram is making changes (ie... bypass pressure settings for instance) regarding their Ultras on some GM vehicles.

I still like the new basic Fram EGs. Have that on my wife's 2003 GM Malibu...... no issues.

I thought so too. Why I stubbornly went back to the Ultra 3 different times to make sure it wasn't just a one-off issue. Same results. More noise at startup.. lifter ticks, some slap, etc. Last time I removed the Ultra the following day to check the ADBV. Had at least 1/2 qt before the filter after sitting overnight. So I'm done with the Ultra on this engine.

Also noted this is a recent problem. Used the Ultra for a couple years on this engine. Never noticed anything before.

Easy test: Try a different brand of glass media filter like the AMSOIL EaO, Royal Purple, WIX...etc. It may be an ADBV design on the Ultra that simply does not seal well in your application period. These other filters have a different design in that department which may make a difference.

The Ford Modulars were notoriously sensitive to ADBV sealing and I personally, with a glass media filter (Fleetguard Stratapore) experienced significant start-up noise that was mitigated by using a different one (AMSOIL EaO).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back