Broken vavle stem with TPMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I called discount tire to ask them about replacing a broken valve stem in a tire with TPMS. Of course it's a law that it can't be replaced with a non-TPMS valve stem. One or more of the sensors is bad on my daughters car so the system is no longer used, but DT says the law requires them to install only a TPMS valve stem anyway. Some of the vehicle maintenance laws these days just seem like money grabs to me, and this is one of them. I called my mechanic and he said he'd install a non-TPMS valve stem for me, off the books. Some of this stuff is getting ridiculous...

I put 70 series snow tires mtd on minus2 sized steel aftermarket rims on my old Honda Fit ( with no TPMS sensors) and the TPMS put the ASC/TCS into limp mode disallowing TCS shutoff and I couldn't get around in the winter . Really made me mad.

One Day I will buy a restored 71 dodge dart with a slant 6 and 3 on the tree and thumb my niose at this stuff.

(I did this in the late eighties with a 66 Chev II Nova - but I put a 355 with a hot factory cam and a 4 speed in that ) Proved Too much engine for the DT.

Last edited:
Do you want the law changed ? Are you critical of Discount Tire for following the law ?

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Do you want the law changed ? Are you critical of Discount Tire for following the law ?

I have never fixed a tpms, in my state, it’s not legally required either, I just toss out the tpms after they break and mount my own tires and replace them with normal valve stems.

Never get a single problem with my tire choice or valve stem choice

And let’s face it, an antique harbor freight tire changer is what?
$50?
Do your own work, problem solved.

I would first verify that such a law actually exists.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I called discount tire to ask them about replacing a broken valve stem in a tire with TPMS. Of course it's a law that it can't be replaced with a non-TPMS valve stem.

Most TPMS have a separate stem and sensor, just put the inop tpms into a new tpms stem.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=214

Ohio isn’t in the list, I call [censored] on it being a law.

“They can’t remove them but they don’t have to dix them either. Just install your new tires and drive on.”

Discount tire, Walmart and. Bridgestone/ Firestone have many of their own “made up” rules due to liability like tire size and of coarse TPMS,

Last time I did have Firestone do a set I just had to sign a form to waive liability because I was breaking one of the tire Gods commandments.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
What kind of vehicle is this on?
2010 Nissan Cube

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Ultimately it's there for the safety of the passengers inside. If you want to defeat that system, then it's on you.

Oh can it with the safety talk, it is made for people who do not own a tire gauge. If you cannot ensure that your tires are safely inflated, how can you be trusted to not kill anyone while flying down the highway?

A month ago, I was driving up the back side of the Sierra's in Nevada in the middle of nowhere between Mercury and Beatty. I got a notice on my dash something was wrong with my tires. Called up the TPMS display, and watched the pressure of one tire go from 24 to 22 to 20 in the time it takes me to type this. Found a safe spot to pull over and got stopped with the tire still partly inflated. Within 40 seconds, it was flat. I believed like you before grampi, now I'm a believer in the system. Got me stopped in a safe spot after a tire was punctured, no fuss, no drama.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Ultimately it's there for the safety of the passengers inside. If you want to defeat that system, then it's on you.

Oh can it with the safety talk, it is made for people who do not own a tire gauge. If you cannot ensure that your tires are safely inflated, how can you be trusted to not kill anyone while flying down the highway?

No, it's there to give you a heads up if it notices a tire going flat, be it slowly or quickly. It's not to replace good maintenance practices.

It came about when a bunch of Ford Explorers started rolling over in the late 90s due to low tire pressures:

https://www.fordexplorerrollover.com/history/default.cfm

Firestone was implicated:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_and_Ford_tire_controversy

In September 2007 TPMS was mandated federally in the US:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pressure_monitoring_system

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/fmvss/TPMSfinalrule_6.pdf

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
49 CFR Parts 571 and 585
[Docket No. NHTSA 2005-20586]
RIN 2127-AJ23
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems;
Controls and Displays
AGENCY: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), DOT.
ACTION: Final rule.
SUMMARY: This final rule establishes a new Federal motor vehicle safety standard
(FMVSS) requiring installation of a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) capable of
detecting when one or more of a vehicle’s tires is significantly under-inflated. This final
rule responds to a mandate in the Transportation Recall Enhancement, Accountability,
and Documentation (TREAD) Act. This final rule requires installation in all new light
vehicles of a TPMS capable of detecting when one or more of the vehicle’s tires, up to all
four tires, is 25 percent or more below the manufacturer’s recommended inflation
pressure (placard pressure) or a minimum activation pressure specified in the standard,
whichever is higher.
DATES: Effective Date: This final rule is effective April 8, 2005, except for Subpart G of 49 CFR
Part 585, which is effective September 1, 2005.
Compliance Date: Consistent with the phase-in commencing October 5, 2005,
all new light vehicles must be equipped with a TPMS that meets the requirements of the
standard by September 1, 2007, with the following exceptions. Vehicle manufacturers
need not meet the standard’s requirements for the TPMS malfunction indicator and
related owner’s manual language until September 1, 2007 (i.e., at the end of the phasein),
and vehicles produced by final-stage manufacturers and alterers must be equipped
with a compliant TPMS (including a malfunction indicator) by September 1, 2008.
However, manufacturers may voluntarily certify vehicles to FMVSS No. 138 and earn
carry-forward credits for compliant vehicles, produced in excess of the phase-in
requirements, that are manufactured between April 8, 2005, and the conclusion of the
phase-in.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

I would first verify that such a law actually exists.

It's the "TREAD Act". Passed in the year 2000 with different requirements needed in place in the years following, including TPMS.

Not faulting any place for following the laws, I'm saying this is a stupid law...

Originally Posted By: Rmay635703
Ohio isn’t in the list, I call [censored] on it being a law.

That's for vehicle inspections. Are tire places taking a hard line by using rules to their advantage ? Maybe

Ohio isn't on the list because routine vehicle inspections are NOT done.

Originally Posted By: grampi
I'm saying this is a stupid law...

Talk to Sherrod Brown and Rob Portman (and your representative).

you sure it is required by law for you to keep? local dealer told me that they'd fail me on inspection for it, but there isn't a NH law actually requiring it. It's non-op in winter on two of my vehicles--and was never installed on the third. I sleep just fine at night without it.

I get why it's there, I don't mind it, but I don't feel like spending anything extra on it either.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
A month ago, I was driving up the back side of the Sierra's in Nevada in the middle of nowhere between Mercury and Beatty. I got a notice on my dash something was wrong with my tires. Called up the TPMS display, and watched the pressure of one tire go from 24 to 22 to 20 in the time it takes me to type this. Found a safe spot to pull over and got stopped with the tire still partly inflated. Within 40 seconds, it was flat. I believed like you before grampi, now I'm a believer in the system. Got me stopped in a safe spot after a tire was punctured, no fuss, no drama.

Had a similar situation, got my off the highway with some air still inside. Like to think that it may have saved the tire (was able to get it plug/patched). Especially with the lower profile tires nowadays, might be harder to tell if you have a flat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back