Another K&N Air Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have cleaned my K&N air filter for the motorcycle and now planning to oil it using K&N kit.

Out of curiosity, is there any preferred method or any other lube(like ATF, dry lube, chain lube) or anything else which can be used too?

Also, in terms of oiling just the side which is exposed to air should be oiled and not the throttle body one?

Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Chuck that overpriced K&N in the can and use the OEM filter.

Are you familiar at all with his bike, or are you just a parrot?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Oil the outside only, with K&N oil only.

Do not oversaturate the filter. Less is more here.

Appreciate your help
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Appreciate your help
thumbsup2.gif

Hey no problem. I actually prefer to use a squirt bottle to oil them. I like to apply a line of oil to the top of the pleats and let the oil soak into the filter.

It's real easy to over apply the oil with a spray bottle or aerosol.

Not sure if they still do, but for awhile you could buy the kits that had the "pour" style spout for the oil. Others have the aerosol spray type. The spray type was much easier to only coat the filter media and not over pour.

EDIT: I said this before I saw rooflessVW's comment. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing haha.

Last edited:
If spraying on try to lay side up that you are spraying. Very light pass. STOP. Let soak in. This might take 20-30 mins, but you don't over oil filter.

though not a fan of KN filters. no oils should be substituted KN filters should be oiled with KN oil.

if its a cone filter just oil evenly around the end near the mounting flange stand the filter upright with the face of the filter down the fabric will absorb the oil apply as needed but I wouldn't saturate the filter.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Appreciate your help
thumbsup2.gif

Hey no problem. I actually prefer to use a squirt bottle to oil them. I like to apply a line of oil to the top of the pleats and let the oil soak into the filter.

It's real easy to over apply the oil with a spray bottle or aerosol.

Same here.

Yes, less oil is better. My old Ford F-150 Lariat crew cab 4x4 had a K&N air filter and I sold it at 215,000 miles and it ran perfect and didn't use a drop of oil. The truck looked great and it had the 5.4L engine. I have the K&N on my 2014 F-150 and really like the way it performs. Just make sure you don't over oil it and use only the K&N spray. Some say ATF works too but I never had the guts to try it since a spray bomb will last for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back