Wheel Bearing Replacement Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Female friend of mine took her 2012 Honda CRV to one of the national chain stores to have a front wheel bearing replaced. She knows nothing about automobile maintenance (not intended as a put down) so I was trying to be helpful and look out for her best interests. She was charged $192 for the wheel bearing and $185 labor. I thought this was a bit on the high side so I thought I would see what my fellow BITOGers think. I'm going to my trustworthy independent mechanic today for a quote.

Depends on the bearing they used. Did they use a cheap Chinese bearing or OEM? I'd say that's a little on the high side but National Chains tend to over charge on small jobs like that.

about this time last year I took my friends mom's aztek to my trusted local guy,only one was bad, but had him replace both for good measure (High Mileage vehicle that sits ALOT - she lives in Alaska, but keeps a property and vehicle here for vacations)
anyway, his price was $250/bearing installed, so $500 for the pair..

My daughter had a wheel bearing in her Toyota FJ Cruiser get noisy. She lives in a bigger city here in Iowa and took it to her local Toyota dealer. Charged her $1,600 dollars to fix it. I told her they robbed her but she didn't believe me as she thought I didn't know about imports. So about 3 months later she had another one making noise and I told her to let me trade cars with her for a week and I would get my local shop guys to do this one. The bill was $326 dollars total with labor. Man was she fuming when when I told her what the bill was. Now she lets me advise her on car issues as maybe her father does know something.

I no longer own a Honda CRV as ours was totaled last year in an accident when a moron sitting beside me at a left turn lane decided to go straight at the last second and clip my driver side fnder before he ran the next red light and zoomed away before I could get a plate # and yeshe had the gall to flipme off as he sped away. Anyway a couple of weeks prior I had to get front wheel bearings replaced and it was just over $400.00 to replace both front bearings. This was at an independent shop. Dealer would likely be at least $50 to 100 more. $192 and $185 is probably about right Is that the price for both?

Originally Posted By: earlyre
about this time last year I took my friends mom's aztek to my trusted local guy,only one was bad, but had him replace both for good measure (High Mileage vehicle that sits ALOT - she lives in Alaska, but keeps a property and vehicle here for vacations)

I just did a rear on a buick rendevous AWD which i believe is the same as an aztek. $500 for 2 installed is a very fair price.

Why does it matter after the fact other than trying to be a "White Knight" here? Truthfully, the charges are not that outrageous for a shop with overhead. I am sure they made a little money on the part markup but all shops do that. Probably could have done it for parts alone at how but that is not putting a value on your labor. An Indy shop probably could have save maybe 25% on that, but they would charged a shop markup on the part also in addition to their hourly labor rate.

I bet book time was at least 2.0 hours or more as the brake caliper, rotor and the pull and install of the wheel bearing would have been need plus the test drive if they did it right. So $185 for labor is not that bad.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
Female friend of mine took her 2012 Honda CRV to one of the national chain stores to have a front wheel bearing replaced. She knows nothing about automobile maintenance (not intended as a put down) so I was trying to be helpful and look out for her best interests. She was charged $192 for the wheel bearing and $185 labor. I thought this was a bit on the high side so I thought I would see what my fellow BITOGers think. I'm going to my trustworthy independent mechanic today for a quote.

$185 for labor is not out of line at all.

Sounds about right. We had to replace a front wheel bearing on the wife's old Escape and we paid about $3-400 at the Ford dealer. Those old Escapes used press fit bearings so there was a fair amount of work needed.

I got 2 front wheel hubs from O’reilly auto (non oem) for my escalade, they had 2 options, 1 with almost no warranty and the other w a 3 year warranty. Got the better one w the 3 yr warranty, both for about $330. I did the labor my self. Would’ve been a lot cheaper online but I neede the truck the next day and couldn’t wait for parts shipping

If the car uses press in wheel bearings, I think that's in line with what I would expect.

The labor seems lower than I would expect and the part costs more than I would expect.

But having a press in wheel bearing replaced for under $400 is reasonable to me

My Subaru seems to have [censored] wheel bearings and I am having a second one replaced right now.
Indy shop is charging me $300 installed for a "better" bearing (they told me the brand and I forgot).
So strange that I have been driving for ~30 years and never needed a bearing replacement until last year and now will have two done on one vehicle.
This shop is a place I like a lot that is sort of in the middle of nowhere and might have somewhat better prices than one more in the city...it's the wrong way from work for me, but I think it's worth it because I trust the place.

The E 28 s used a pressed on hub in front. In 22 yrs of old E 28s, I never had to deal with one.
I attribute it to running the original 6.5" x 14 wheels and tires that the suspension was engineered for. So much for days of yore. What kind front hub life can I expect from my Camrys?. Is this a DIY job? Thanks

A car that new already needs wheel bearings?
crazy2.gif

The bearing price is high but it may be possible they didnt have the capability to press the bearing out so they outsourced it to a machine shop to do and thats what drove the price on the bearing, or they replaced the whole knuckle. Overall price probably not terrible.

Originally Posted By: bruckus
The bearing price is high but it may be possible they didnt have the capability to press the bearing out so they outsourced it to a machine shop to do and thats what drove the price on the bearing, or they replaced the whole knuckle. Overall price probably not terrible.

I assume they are not pulling the hub to do the bearing, even press in bearings can be removed on the car with a hub grappler/ front wheel bearing service set.

Chain stores are going to charge more because they can, that is where the truly clueless go for repairs. (no offense OP)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
crazy2.gif

My 2004 VW needed them at 3 years of age, albeit it was at 105kmiles. Wife's 2001 Civic needed them at 150k.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Originally Posted By: earlyre

I just did a rear on a buick rendevous AWD which i believe is the same as an aztek. $500 for 2 installed is a very fair price.

Fraternal Twins. same factory at the same time, Like my Sable and Mom's Taurus. some different sheetmetal, and trim/interior bits, but essentially the same vehicle.

the Aztek in question is only FWD though, and of course it was a Front bearing...

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
crazy2.gif

My 2004 VW needed them at 3 years of age, albeit it was at 105kmiles. Wife's 2001 Civic needed them at 150k.

My 2000 Hyundai Sonata Needed Rear Bearings in late 2004, at around 50k mi... thank you 10yr/100k mi warranty!
(in my ownership that Warranty paid for both rear wheel bearings, both front window regulators, Tachometer, and JUST before expiration(99,997mi), CV Boots.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back