Wild Goose Chase Moto Guzzi Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got attacked over there for recommending consideration of Mobil 1 15W50 for a 750cc flat tappet dry clutch (not shared sump) Moto Guzzi engine that the person had been servicing with Motul 7100. Heaven knows what the reaction would have been had I mentioned Rotella ...
eek.gif

Having learned so much over the years about motor oil from you all here on bitog, I've been kind of astounded by the apparent lack of oil knowledge on Wild Goose Chase Moto Guzzi Forum. And the few times I've made recommendations or spoken up, been basically shouted down by select "seasoned" members.

At any rate, it makes me appreciate the free exchange of knowledge and open discussion environment that is bitog and the prevailing attitude of openness that exists here. Which is the purpose of this post-- to thank everyone for the open exchange of knowledge and friendly atmosphere here on one of the best forums on the internet-- BITOG.

I came close to buying a new 2016 Stornello this spring and lurked on that forum for awhile. Seems Guzzi reccommends SAE 60 and those guys are 100% locked in to it?

I've used a lot of 10W60 in my motorcycles, but I would have no problem using M1 15W50 either. It's got a good dose of zinc and would probably shear less than 10W60.

I like Guzzi's a lot, but some Guzzi owners can be a little fixed in their ways.

People who think it is bad around here, need to spend a few weeks on a motorcycle forum.

Oooof...

I ran Mobil 1 15W50 in one of my Harleys years ago. I tore it down at around 35k for some engine mods and was shocked at how clean the engine was.
The pistons didn't show any wear at all. I was impressed to say the least. It sounds like they have some bad forum juju going on over there. Very common
these days from what I have seen.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I ran Mobil 1 15W50 in one of my Harleys years ago. I tore it down at around 35k for some engine mods and was shocked at how clean the engine was.
The pistons didn't show any wear at all. I was impressed to say the least. It sounds like they have some bad forum juju going on over there. Very common
these days from what I have seen.

Well basically what it seems like to me is that it's a very tight knit association of guys who all know each other from rallies and etc and new comers who haven't yet physically shown up at an event are either kept at arm's length or met with outright hostility if they offer some bit of advice or info that is new or not swimming with the downstream current.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Well basically what it seems like to me is that it's a very tight knit association of guys who all know each other from rallies and etc and new comers who haven't yet physically shown up at an event are either kept at arm's length or met with outright hostility if they offer some bit of advice or info that is new or not swimming with the downstream current.

Yes it can be like that but a lot of the guys on the Wild Guzzi site own several bikes including Harlys , Asian and vintage British bikes and are friendly...Oil threads are troublesome on all vehicle websites..I still post on there despite I sold the Guzzi and own a Ducati and a 750 Honda...There is some worthwhile information there and having a thicker skin helps on all websites...

Originally Posted By: Truckedup

Yes it can be like that but a lot of the guys on the Wild Guzzi site own several bikes including Harlys , Asian and vintage British bikes and are friendly...Oil threads are troublesome on all vehicle websites...

Yup, nothing brings up arguments like what oil and/or filter to use on a forum.
Seems many forums have the "old guard" that all drink the same kool-aid, and if you disagree, even when presenting facts, you get hammered hard.
Suggesting useing a Fram filter will almost get you banned on some forums, even if posting pics of used Fram's being fine and pics of other brands (cough, Tearolator, cough) not holding up.

I tend to say my peace (usually something along the line of use a quality oil with no friction modifiers (either OEM, motorcycle specific oil, or diesel oils) in the weight suggested by the manufacturer, use a quality oil filter (Wix, Fram, or OEM)).
I then tend to post what I am/have used in the past with good results, then a little blurb about in the end, changing the oil on a routine basis based on their riding conditions is more important than specific brands.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
Why aren't you up at "Americade" this week? Best All Brands rally in the country.

Talking to me? If so, my neighbor rode up there, about 220 miles one way...I don't normally attend large bike gatherings..

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Same experience here over on Rennlist, a Porsche forum. Oil "old wives tales" permeate the car world.

Same over at a Lincoln brand forums. Mentioned 10w-30 engine oil for summer use and was met with "too thick" and that it could cause damage to the most remote oiled parts. I was sort of shocked. It's 2018...not 1978.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Got attacked over there for recommending consideration of Mobil 1 15W50 for a 750cc flat tappet dry clutch (not shared sump) Moto Guzzi engine that the person had been servicing with Motul 7100. Heaven knows what the reaction would have been had I mentioned Rotella ...
eek.gif

Having learned so much over the years about motor oil from you all here on bitog, I've been kind of astounded by the apparent lack of oil knowledge on Wild Goose Chase Moto Guzzi Forum. And the few times I've made recommendations or spoken up, been basically shouted down by select "seasoned" members.

At any rate, it makes me appreciate the free exchange of knowledge and open discussion environment that is bitog and the prevailing attitude of openness that exists here. Which is the purpose of this post-- to thank everyone for the open exchange of knowledge and friendly atmosphere here on one of the best forums on the internet-- BITOG.

"Heaven knows what the reaction would have been had I mentioned Rotella ..." Go back and do it!!!!!
grin.gif

Gatekeeping occurs on every online community, we do the same thing here when someone mentions how oil specs in owner's manuals are different around the world. Although this is an automotive forum, there are plenty of other topics discussed that keep the groupthink under control.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Gatekeeping occurs on every online community, we do the same thing here when someone mentions how oil specs in owner's manuals are different around the world. Although this is an automotive forum, there are plenty of other topics discussed that keep the groupthink under control.

Agreed.

I searched over on Wild Guzzi, but I don't what screen name the OP here used there....But this is one of several threads stating some of the guys there use Mobil 1 OP, if you can please drag up your thread from WG...I would like to see which hard heads over there were all upset...
Wild Guzzi

I'm on Wildgoose...only because there was a discussion about the NZ Stornellos a few years ago. I check in occasionaly, but none of the original posters have returned. Very much a V Twin site, they don't seem to know Guzzi made anything else.

Not sure I can drag it up since I deactivated my profile same day. If I have need of info for a repair or maintenance matter I'll research existing info there as a guest i.e. no login. Guzzitech.com is a better resource for tech info when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back