New Cordless Electric Lawnmower In Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I won't be able to obsess over which oil to use in my push mower any more, I just sprang for a Ryobi 40V cordless mower and it rocks! My neighbors mower bit the dust and we were yaking (I had been thinking of buying an EGO self propelled), and I offered to sell him my TB self propelled mower, and he bought it. I have only a little bit of my 2 acres of mowing that is done with a push mower, but it's a long, steep bank, and some very easy pieces that my JD425 is too big to get into, and the light weight of a battery mower appealed to me. I don't mow for more than 40-45 min at a time, so it sounds good, and they make self propelled versions to help out on hills. So, off to HD I go to buy the EGO, but when I get there, they have a returned Ryobi 40V self propelled 20" mower. After marking it down, and haggling with the manager, I got it for $250 out the door, and it didn't have a blade of grass on it, never used. I always thought these things were toys, but they are definitely not. This thing has tremendous power, mulches great, even in tall grass, runs beyond 45 min on a charge, weighs only ~45#, doesn't have ANY grass sticking to the plastic deck when done mowing, is easy to handle, speed adjustment is very easy while mowing. The Ryobi is not built like the EGO, which is a tank, (and weighs almost as much as a gas mower in use), but since I mow by hand very little, this is an awesome mower.
Anyone else tried a battery mower?

I needed a pole saw last year to trim some trees. Sprang for an electric Greenworks 40v 2.5 amp. Worked great for me as pole saw you really don't want to run for more than 30 minutes at a time or will pay for days in pain. Muscles I don't use too often.

Roll forward to this year and I decide to spring $90 for the Digipro 40V weed eater. Not impressed. I am spoiled by my Makita since 1998 so 20 years old and runs like a champ. I broke the handle and since it is so old I thought I would try a new one. The Greenworks is not much better than a Worx GT 20V I tried a few years back. Very disappointing.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I needed a pole saw last year to trim some trees. Sprang for an electric Greenworks 40v 2.5 amp. Worked great for me as pole saw you really don't want to run for more than 30 minutes at a time or will pay for days in pain. Muscles I don't use too often.

Roll forward to this year and I decide to spring $90 for the Digipro 40V weed eater. Not impressed. I am spoiled by my Makita since 1998 so 20 years old and runs like a champ. I broke the handle and since it is so old I thought I would try a new one. The Greenworks is not much better than a Worx GT 20V I tried a few years back. Very disappointing.

Go for the milwaukee or other similarly high rated one.. Ego, dewalt 60v etc.

Blasphemy!!

I really love the selection of modern lithium based power tools, but I will never do the mower. The smell of the gas and exhaust is just part of the experience to me. I like mowing.

I also can't stand having a different battery for everything. I have chosen one brand and one battery form factor, and I will stick with it.

Originally Posted By: bchannell
Well, I won't be able to obsess over which oil to use in my push mower any more, I just sprang for a Ryobi 40V cordless mower and it rocks!
Anyone else tried a battery mower?

Congratulations. You’re leading the way. Keep us posted on the battery. . I checked prices on Greenworks batteries. About $100 for 2 AH and $150 for 4 AH. We’ll see if they get cheaper. I’m thinking instead of cheaper, they’ll keep adding more AH. Should see 4 AH for $100 soon, and so on. My next mower will be battery electric.

Last edited:
I got the EGO powered mower early last year, though self propelled. No complaints yet. The self propelled feature works much better than the gas mower I had. Steep hills on most of my yard though. Would have been nice if it was $250 but oh well, if it lasts like it seems it will it is worth the extra over a gas mower. 5 years and I won't be mad. 10 years I'll be happy. So I don't have my sights set to high I think. Never had good luck with gas mowers so I thought there is no reason not to try battery powered.

I see that both Greenworks and Kobalt have 80VDC mowers.

5 years from now, will 120VDC mowers be common?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: bchannell
I just got scammed out of $250 for a Ryobi 40V cordless mower

I'm sorry.

Why do you say scammed? I'm genuinely curious.

"Because there's no oil to change" is not an acceptable answer by the way!
laugh.gif

So far the batter has lasted over 45 mins, allowing me to do all my push (self propelled) mowing. I got a second battery 5ah for around a c-note, so not too bad there.
Remember the 80v vs 56v vs 40v , you have to consider the ah rating too. I really like the looks of the EGO and think it's the best cordless out there. If I did more walking/mowing, I'd definitely get the EGO, they do look solid. Having said that, the Ryobi will mow some pretty heavy, thick, tall grass with no problem whatsoever. The Ryobi is not as solidly built as the EGO, but it's certainly not flimsy or cheap in any way, it's just that the EGO is built like a tank, and in all fairness, it weighs a lot more because of it, so everything is a trade-off.
I was a died-in-the-wool gas mower man, but this will change your mind. You may think today, that you will never go cordless, but the day is coming. They are not toys anymore, they work, and will mow right along with a gas mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back