Got around to doing some maintenance....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always feel good after DIYing scheduled maintenance on the cars. I got around to changing the oil on my Accord, as well as changing out the engine and cabin air filters and doing an extract and fill of the power steering fluid. This was also the longest OCI I have ever ran thanks to BITOG. I used to be a 3 month / 3000 mile guy, but I went down to 20% on the oil life monitor this time. It took me 10 months and 5,600 miles to get there.

Yup, it's like scratching an itch or taking a shower after a filthy day. You get the feeling that everything is all clean and new.

Quote:
This was also the longest OCI I have ever ran thanks to BITOG. I used to be a 3 month / 3000 mile guy, but I went down to 20% on the oil life monitor this time. It took me 10 months and 5,600 miles to get there.
5600 miles doesn't doesn't seem bad at all, probably much better than 3000 for the environment and your wallet and I doubt the engine cares. I can't imagine putting in good oil and having it drained every 3 months, crazy!

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I always feel good after DIYing scheduled maintenance on the cars. I got around to changing the oil on my Accord, as well as changing out the engine and cabin air filters and doing an extract and fill of the power steering fluid. This was also the longest OCI I have ever ran thanks to BITOG. I used to be a 3 month / 3000 mile guy, but I went down to 20% on the oil life monitor this time. It took me 10 months and 5,600 miles to get there.

Good going. Are you going to use the ultra for 2 or 3 oil changes? It should be fine for 15000 miles.

Same here today. Changed the spark plugs did an oil change on the F150. Spark plugs were easier than the oil change....

OEM plugs and BC 0w-30 and a FU.

Nice tune-up!

Seems the OLM is set for 7000 miles OCIs on the Honda.

I like to take my time and explore around. It is nice to touch stuff with a towel, thus cleaning it or spreading oil to parts/nuts/bolts that might develop future.

Some folks I would hear their story of how quickly and how few minutes it takes. They seem to enjoy playing the clock. I find being slow and deliberate by cleaning as I go and looking around to be for ME. Its neat to study the undercarriage while the oil is draining and means you dont have to keep getting up and down.

I like to drain until the stream starts to break into droplets. Then replace the plug.

Originally Posted By: JC1

Good going. Are you going to use the ultra for 2 or 3 oil changes? It should be fine for 15000 miles.

Yes, I run them for 2 oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Nice tune-up!

I like to take my time and explore around. It is nice to touch stuff with a towel, thus cleaning it or spreading oil to parts/nuts/bolts that might develop future.

Some folks I would hear their story of how quickly and how few minutes it takes. They seem to enjoy playing the clock. I find being slow and deliberate by cleaning as I go and looking around to be for ME. Its neat to study the undercarriage while the oil is draining and means you dont have to keep getting up and down.

I like to drain until the stream starts to break into droplets. Then replace the plug.
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Nice tune-up!

There is no set mileage, it may go off as soon as 4000 Miles or go as long as 12,000.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Are all of the other wallet flushes up to date?

Yes. Brake fluid will be in a year or so.

....This was also the longest OCI I have ever ran thanks to BITOG. I used to be a 3 month / 3000 mile guy.....

Heh, I used to be the same way. That's the way dad did it, so figure I had to. Since all the vehicles are low mileage I do yearly changes around the spring. That can range from 2500 miles (Jeep) to 6500 miles (I think it was the Jetta at the time). Now I won't go much past 5K on the GTI which was lining up to be yearly, but with a new job and no company truck that'll change I guess. Slowly been getting the S10 up to snuff to be the DD, or atleast split the mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back